Author Topic: $hucks it is cold...  (Read 1619 times)

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 583
$hucks it is cold...
« on: January 14, 2024, 02:37:29 PM »
2 degrees and falling with snow going sideways.  I had hoped not to see that sort of thing around here again.

We might get above freezing on Wednesday...maybe Thursday then in the deep freeze again.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 457
Re: $hucks it is cold...
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2024, 03:10:19 PM »
It was only about 20f in N GA this morn.  Of course, ideal time to shoot a 7 stage IDPA match in Dawsonville. You know what doesn’t work well in sub-freezing?  The sticky stuff on pasters. 

I had a weird squib, where the bullet didn’t fully leave the case but stuck just as it entered the forcing cone.  I suspected a bad primer.  Pushed the round back in the case with one strike on the rod.  Usually a primer only round will push the bullet pass the barrel/cylinder gap.  When I disassembled it there were just a few grains of powder, so I don’t know.  Perfect storm? Bad primer and no powder?  Oh well, I’ve had multiple squibs with commercial ammo this century, so I’m not the only one.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 887
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2024, 03:45:56 PM »
2 degrees and falling with snow going sideways.  I had hoped not to see that sort of thing around here again.

We might get above freezing on Wednesday...maybe Thursday then in the deep freeze again.

Stages of snow fall: First it comes down, then it comes down sideways, then it quits falling but for the next week God just moves it from place to place. It is a lot like a wife rearranging the furniture. I think it would be nice over there .... No, try over there .... What about there ... Husband, stupidly under his breath but a little too loud, that was spot number three half an hour ago.

I am not complaining, and I often point it out around here, because Chicago is far warmer than Minnesota. But, our forecast HIGH temperatures Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday totaled together will not reach +10f. Off to a great start with a high of minus 5 today.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2024, 04:29:07 PM »
1' of snow here and -2.   Tuesday the high might be 0.

Took me 20 mins to drive out of my 80' drive way.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 583
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2024, 05:05:04 PM »
I have 4" of snow after 3-4 hours.  Still coming down as it has cooled down to 0 now.

I want my global warming.  And I want it now.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 04:21:08 AM »

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2024, 05:54:16 PM »
Did anyone catch the news from Iowa.   Climate activist were disrupting campaign events to protest global warming.
Will work for ammo

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 887
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2024, 07:02:24 PM »
Did anyone catch the news from Iowa.   Climate activist were disrupting campaign events to protest global warming.

Iowa, let me count the ways:
1. Truck stuck on east bound I-80, blocking one lane, for 60 hours.
2. Truck waiting in Council Bluffs for36 hours waiting for state highway 30 to open.
3. Truck waiting in Columbus NE 48 hours, because state highway 30 is plugged in both NE and IA.
4. Truck running up through WI, across MN, down through IA and into NE, didn't have to wait anywhere, but route went from four days to five due to deep snow.
5. Truck going into IA couldn't go, waited 36 hours to depart, due to closed roads.
6. Truck departing this morning for MN, IA and NE did not go, due to poor road conditions and customer lots being plugged.
7. Seven outside carriers hired to pickup at plants in SW MN, NW IA, central IA and eastern NE, were all 36 to ..... WELL ... 78 hours and counting late to pickups.

Using my massive mind and perfect memory, but more importantly reading and listening to weather history, this is a normal week in January. You want to protest climate change? I can send you an address where you can come and sit at my desk.

As much as I worry about customer service, none of these delays is an issue. The weather has been such that these stores are running limited hours, and their customers are buying food anyway.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2024, 07:07:59 PM »
Supposed to be in the low 20's here Wednesday AM....so I need to drain and blow out the water lines in the camper before then. We have the cold weather package, but I don't trust it even with pex lines. I was under the weather last week and didn't feel like fooling with it rolling around on the wet ground but alas, I haven't a choice now. LOL
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2024, 07:45:53 PM »
Supposed to be in the low 20's here Wednesday AM....

Wait.  20's below the Gnat Line?  What's it going to be here?   Egads.  I know we in the metro ATL don't pay a lot of attention to the rest of the state but that should have been news.
Will work for ammo

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1111
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2024, 06:49:36 AM »
It's 1 degree here at a quarter after 8 in the morning, but it feels like 12 below because the humidity is 83%. There's a wind chill advisory, but no real wind chill because it's only blowing 7mph. But last month I heard someone say winter was canceled this year, because of El Niño or something like that, so, What The...?  ???  I put the plow on my ATV just before sunset, in case we get enough snow this winter to use it. My toes were so cold wearing my SOREL boots that after I came in I wore my imitation Mickey Mouse boots around the house for several hours trying to warm up. Once while riding my ATV in the winter, I broke through some ice and got ice water in my boots. After awhile my boots were full of nice warm water and my feet felt good the rest of the day. They'll keep your feet warm, but pray you never have to walk far in them because they weigh about 8 pounds in my size. I was going to weigh mine to see how they compare to the real ones, but don't know where my luggage scale wandered off to again. They're white, so I guess that makes them imitation"Bunny boots". The real Type II  white boots are rated all the way down to −65 °F. The Type I black boots are only rated for temperatures down to −20 °F and weigh a pound less.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bunny_boots
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk