Author Topic: "Green" Lasers, Are They That Much More Visable?  (Read 13955 times)

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 577
Re: "Green" Lasers, Are They That Much More Visable?
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2009, 07:29:08 PM »
I had a 5mw laser on my G22 I bought in 90 that cost more than the pistol. A red one that was good to about 100 yds in daylight. Now you can buy them for 40 $ they are a good training tool . Green ones are brighter, but IMO just a better bullet magnet.    ???

Bullet magnet.  10-4.

On the other hand...seach some of the far eastern English language web site for red lasers greater than 5mW...........
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2009, 07:56:26 PM »
I saw a program a while back on the History Channel about "Less Than Lethal" weapons for law enforcement. They showed a type of rapidly blinking green light they use to shine on out of control prisoners. It is supposed to make them violently sick, causing vomiting within seconds of being exposed. The officers using it were wearing some type of goggles. Have any LEO's heard of this type of "weapon"?   Bill T.

tombogan03884

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2009, 07:59:47 PM »
That's part of the theory with the modern lights on Police cars, they don't blink in any pattern and it is supposed to make people nauseous

Fatman

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2009, 09:47:49 PM »
That certainly is worth considering. Even if everything he said is 100% factual, his point of view is certainly skewed. I wonder if Lasermax might have a different take....

I think he's on the up and up. It would be easy for CTC to offer a green laser, and he did say never say never.  I think they may be looking to see if the issues with green lasers can be solved, especially the one where it (green) acts like a tracer.  Remember the saying about tracers?
Anti: I think some of you gentleman would choose to apply a gun shaped remedy to any problem or potential problem that presented itself? Your reverance (sic) for firearms is maintained with an almost religious zeal. The mind boggles! it really does...

Me: Naw, we just apply a gun-shaped remedy to those extreme life threatening situations that call for it. All the less urgent problems we're willing to discuss.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2009, 03:27:46 AM »
From what I've read the electronics involved in producing green Lasers cost far more than the same used for the making of red ones. I know I've seen those Laser pointers for a couple of bucks at Harbor Freight, and places like that, so production costs for red Lasers seem to be quite lower. I know the difference in price in the Lasermax model I'm speaking of is $210.00 more for the green model over the red. Both have a power output of 5mW.  Bill T.

http://www.lasermax.com/product.php?id=104

$189.00  (RED)

http://www.lasermax.com/product.php?id=127

$399.00  (GREEN)

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 04:19:34 PM »

PoorSoulInJersey

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2009, 07:06:07 AM »
My question is, aside from the cool factor, why would you want a laser beam to be visible? In a tactical situation, it's a nice big "here I am!" sign.

The visible beams are unbearably cool to play with (I have a green laser pointer that I love using in dark rooms, both for presentations and for playing around), but for $400, I'd want something laser guided, not just a sighting assistance device.
-Tom

tombogan03884

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2009, 10:26:59 AM »
My question is, aside from the cool factor, why would you want a laser beam to be visible? In a tactical situation, it's a nice big "here I am!" sign.

The visible beams are unbearably cool to play with (I have a green laser pointer that I love using in dark rooms, both for presentations and for playing around), but for $400, I'd want something laser guided, not just a sighting assistance device.

Be patient, their working on it. Thermal guidance too.

cooptire

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2009, 09:03:24 PM »

Be patient, their working on it. Thermal guidance too.

Just like that movie with Tom Selleck and Gene Simmons, "Runaway", I think. Thermal signature tracking bullets with little explosive warheads. Cool in a Sci-Fi sort of way.
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined." Patrick Henry

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2009, 09:34:46 AM »

I have argued that point about flashlights mounted on handguns and AR-15's for some time now. I have older law enforcement books from the 70's, and all of them show LEO's holding flashlights at arms length to avoid drawing fire to the body. I can't understand the logic of putting a mini flashlight on a 600 yard weapon. On a handgun it only forces you to muzzle sweep everything you want to look at, and identify in a tense situation. That's how people get shot who aren't supposed to. As far as a Laser, it is a sighting device, not a viewing one. By the time the bad guy realizes he's been targeted, he'll most likely be out of the fight.   Bill T.

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2009, 10:13:35 AM »
I have argued that point about flashlights mounted on handguns and AR-15's for some time now. I have older law enforcement books from the 70's, and all of them show LEO's holding flashlights at arms length to avoid drawing fire to the body.    Bill T.
+1 on the flashlight location. My method for patrolling with light is to hold it at arms length and a little ahead to try not to light any bit of myself or my weapon. If someone starts blasting at the light hopefully the worst is my off hand is injured and I lay into the area of muzzle blast. Best case is they freeze in the light and lay down. Either way my center mass is NOT located directly behind the bright light.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk