Author Topic: BCM AR-15 Bolt Carrier Group  (Read 21212 times)

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
BCM AR-15 Bolt Carrier Group
« on: January 25, 2011, 05:48:39 PM »
As you guys know I've got quite a few AR's, so I thought it would be a good idea to purchase an extra Bolt Carrier Group and Charging Handle to have as a spare. It is fully assembled, ready to drop in. I chose this model from Bravo Company. I've heard a lot of good things about their products. I wasn't able to talk to anyone on the phone, and had to place the order on line. That was no problem, I got order confirmation and everything, but I saw something after I ordered that I'm wondering about. This is the Bolt Carrier Group and the Charging Handle I ordered.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Bolt-Carrier-Group-MPI-Auto-M16-p/bcm%20bolt%20carrier%20group%20auto%20mp.htm

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-GUNFIGHTER-Charging-Handle-GFH-Mod-3-p/bcm%20gfh%20mod%203%20556.htm

The BCG I ordered says, "Bolt carrier group (auto version) for your AR15, M16, or M4." This will work in a non select fire rifle won't it? I'm not sure what the difference is between the "auto version", and any of the other BCG on the market? Is the auto version more desirable for some reason? I noticed they only sell auto version BCG's under their name.  Bill T.

tombogan03884

Re: BCM AR-15 Bolt Carrier Group
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 06:20:07 PM »
It should work fine, but I would be leery of putting "FA" components any where in the bolt or trigger group.
What is legal doesn't matter. What matter's is what ATF decides is legal next week or next year.  >:(

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 06:54:49 PM »
I might be wrong, but FA stuff is the same stuff EXCEPT FA sears, and safeties, with the "third/happy button" position.

Bravo Company, and others worth their salt, won't just sell FA stuff without a copy/certified Class III document on file.

I think the description is part marketing as the charging handle is Mil-spec approved. (Nice one BTW),... I went with the Vltor cold forged.

From Link

Written by Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE), Chief of the Firearms Technology Branch
...M16 bolt carriers are not designed and intended solely and exclusively for use in converting a weapon into a machinegun and are not any combination of parts from which a machinegun can be assembled.  Further, an M16 bolt carrier is not a firearm as defined in the GCA or a machinegun as defined in the NFA.  An M16 bolt carrier is simply a machinegun part and as such its domestic sale and possession is unregulated under the Federal firearms laws. It is not unlawful to utilize a M16 machinegun bolt carrier in a semiautomatic AR15 type rifle.

Gas key is secured to carrier via USGI domestic mfg Grade 8 fasteners and properly staked per Mil-Specs.

Your covered. Great bolt carrier group you picked. Should last a long, long time especially in our "civilian" AR's... :-\

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 07:58:25 PM »
TW,

You're confirming pretty much what I was thinking. Thanks. I just got an E-Mail from them telling me my order has shipped USPS Priority Mail. Should be here in just a few days.  Bill T.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1110
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 08:22:28 PM »
The big difference is on the bottom at the rear. The AR-15 BC is milled away so it can't hit the auto sear. It should work just fine.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 10:29:20 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 12:37:36 AM »
Frank beat me to it. Friend of mine used to make bolt carriers, there is a difference between them, The FA has more material in some places. That is why you can't convert a semi bolt carrier to FA, where you need to mill the semi BC is stock negative.

bafsu92

• Top Forum Member
  • Si vis Pacem, Para bellum
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 08:47:55 AM »
Most of you're quality builders only use full auto carriers for reliability concerns. By removing material from the bottom of the carrier you're altering Gene Stoner's original design. As a general rule rifles run much more reliably with the weight from the full auto carrier. In addition the semi-auto carrier tends to wear out receivers at the extension since they can dip or drop a bit every time they enter or exit the tube.

As far as the BCM carrier it is a very good choice. there are a few carriers out there that are pretty much equal in price and quality. The main things to consider are an MPI tested bolt, the quality of the extractor assembly and a properly staked carrier key. The next thing to look at is the finish of the carrier. BCM, Daniel Defense, LMT, LaRue and Noveske all make a quality Mil-Spec full auto carrier in the $135-$165 range. Every one of these is a good choice. I usually pick up BCG's when I'm ordering other parts from one of these vendors or get The Daniel Defense carrier from Palmetto State Armory. If I'm only ordering a carrier I usually buy it from LaRue. I buy as much as I can from LaRue since they give you so much free swag with your orders. My last order from them was a scope mount and BCG, about $350 total and they enclosed at least $40 (their retail prices) of stuff, a shirt, hat, dillo tool, dillo dust and a scope cover. I love to order from them just to see what free stuff I get.
Cogito, ergo armatum sum

"Capitalization is the difference between helping
your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse." - Unknown

"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional illogical liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous liberal press,which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - Unknown

ratcatcher55

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 09:01:58 AM »
BillT,

I use the same charging handle and bolt carrier group in the Frankengun I built. It was spected for me by a friend who shoots lot's of 3 gun and tactical rifle.

So far no troubles what so ever and I have heard only good things about the company.

breezzer99

• Active Forum Member
  • trust your finger it says I twitch you die
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 10:09:23 AM »
let us know how they do

bafsu92

• Top Forum Member
  • Si vis Pacem, Para bellum
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 01:41:34 PM »
Forgot to comment on your charging handle, the BCM Gunfighter CH is a great choice. I have them in every rifle I own but one. It has a PRI Gasbuster which costs twice as much but is in my opinion, no better. In fact I could buff the names off the spines on both and set them side by side and gladly pay you $20 if you could identify which was which (if they had the same latch). Your pretty safe in anything you buy from BCM, their brand or others they only deal in quality stuff and stand behind it. They run some insane sales on complete uppers from time to time and even at their regular prices it's hard to build an upper for what they sell them for. Also while on the subject of a complete upper that you couldn't build for what it's on sale for take a look at this: http://www.botachtactical.com/lmtco14uprea.html Not my absolute favorite company, customer service wise but I haven't any real bad experiences with them. Sometimes a little slow to ship and they don't use packing slips but I have had no trouble with refunds and exchanges etc. That's an insane price on the upper though, it's like you get the BCG & CH free.
Cogito, ergo armatum sum

"Capitalization is the difference between helping
your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse." - Unknown

"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional illogical liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous liberal press,which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - Unknown

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk