Author Topic: Accurizing 22 Rimfire Ammunition - Do the bullet modification kits really work?  (Read 43607 times)

2HOW

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Great thread Steve. Even for me that does not reload I find it very interesting. Great property also , congrats. Look forward to the final accuracy test.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

lurker

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
I've been involved in several discussions about the 22 long rifle on a couple of the discussion group sites that I visit.
There is some interest in bullet modification.

Having just updated to a match target grade barrel on my 10-22, I decided that I was in a position to do a series of tests using both my 10-22 and my old Remington 211 that I got for my 6th birthday 60 years ago.

Do these devices make any significant difference in accuracy?

Is there any difference in the amount of improvement (if any) between an older well used sporter chamber and bore and a new target grade barrel?

Seeing an opportunity to do a lot of shooting, I've decided to do a modest field test this summer.(snip)

Any updates?

tombogan03884

Any updates?
\
Good question , have you had a chance to do any more testing ?
Or are you onto another interesting project ?

Steve Cover

• Mr. C
  • Active Forum Member
  • NRA Benefactor Member
  • Liked:
\
Good question , have you had a chance to do any more testing ?
Or are you onto another interesting project ?
Sorry for the delay.
Yes, something came up.

My grandson needed to do a senior project performing something that he had never done before.
He chose Wilderness Survival, and asked me to teach him.

I couldn't pass that up.  I dropped everything and put together a 120 hour survival course.
It took over 600 pages of typing and picture copying to set up.

We are a little past the half way mark and will be finishing in this spring at my Pistol Range in Eastern Washington.

Here is a rough draft of the final field exam:

Wilderness Survival Course Final Field Test
The location will be at our property in NE Washington State.
We have 26 acres at about 2600 above mean sea level.
There are lots of small and large game on our property with 610' of stream face that hasn't been fished in over 20 years.

Planned date is late April -> early May.
This is "usually" a dry time there, but if it rains he will have to deal with it.
Temperatures in the area will be below freezing at night.

The scenario I'll be challenging him with is as an aircraft accident survivor.

Brad will be on a fly in fishing trip when the pilot has a sudden heart attack and crashes in a lake.
Luckily, being on a bush plane, Brad will have been allowed to keep his mini-kit, and hunting (Survival) knife on his person for the flight.
Not being able to help the dead pilot, Brad will just escape the plane in a rubber raft before the plane sinks.
So, he makes it to shore (still dry) with only what he had on his person, unable to use anything from the aircraft wreckage.  Unfortunately, the wind blows the rubber raft back out onto the lake after an exhausted Bradley crawls up the bank.
Because the heart attack happened so fast, there was no radio call for help, and with the plane's sinking in a deep lake, there is no chance that any electronic signaling device that may have been activated by the crash will work.
So, knowing that the guide is already in the fishing camp and is expecting the plane, Brad knows that a search will soon be initiated.
However, the flight into the hunting camp was quite a long one and with no idea of where along the flight path the plane went down, the search team will have to cover the entire route.

Brad will have to survive on his own for several days up to a couple of weeks before he can expect to be rescued.

The test:

Plan and take action to survive until the rescue team can find him.

The field test will be at least two full days and one night.

I expect him to follow the rule of 3s to proceed with is planning.

Select a good location and build a shelter.
(Rope work and knot use included here).
Gather fire wood and demonstrate building a fire without a match.
(Matches got wet in the lake as did the small lighter).

Since finding water will really be no problem here, Brad will have to explain to me how he would find water if the stream was dry.
He will collect some water and demonstrate (without my directing him to) how to evaluate it's potential hazards and how to purify it for consumption.

Locating food: Scout the area for game sign, (lots of rabbit trails here) and set several traps.

(Naturally, after inspecting and grading the traps, all but one will be taken down.
The one remaining will catch a free range, store rabbit.
These can be identified by the plastic wrap)

There are several different edible plants on our property. I will expect him to gather a few of them for his rabbit stew.
(If he does not collect any edible plants, during the debriefing I'll have him identify at least three of them for me and explain the test used for unknown plants..)

During his food gathering, Brad will suffer a simulated bad cut on one of his arms.
He must deal with it and explain further concerns and treatment until help arrives.

(I've scheduled a Red Cross First Aid course for Brad as part of his training.)

Brad will cook us a meal and improve the shelter, including gathering enough fire wood to last all night.

We both will spend the night. (Brad wrapped up in his space blanket and me in a heavy coat sleeping in my Jeep.)

The next morning, Brad will explain his camp hygiene and sanitation procedures.

Next comes signaling for help.
He will demonstrate several methods of signaling including ground to air symbols.

Then it will be map and compass. I have a 1:24,000 USGS map of our property.
Brad will show me on the map where we are and give me the coordinates and height above MSL.

Now it's time to catch a fish... This will include using the proper knot.
Since our stream has not been fished in a long time, I expect that he will be successful.
Playing a fish with just his survival fishing kit will be very instructive.
(However, we will not be fishing if the season is closed. In that case, a store bought trout will be used instead.)

Assuming a strong compelling reason to abandon his camp, I'll expect him to plan an escape route to an area where he has a better chance of surviving and be rescued from.
Brad will tell me what compass headings he will follow, how long each leg is and roughly how long it should take him.  (If travel time will not allow him to get to his chosen rescue point with time to make a camp, I will expect him to plan an overnight stay on the way, arriving with enough sunlight left to establish a shelter and find wood.  The general area will be chosen on the map. He will explain what attributes the area shows on the map to make it a practical stop over choice)

RESCUE:
My being a helicopter pilot, brad will understand what information the rescue pilot will need:
(Wind Direction... Safe landing surface in case of tall grass hiding the ground features ... etc.)
Safety protocol around helicopters... Stay down slope, etc.

SO, after finishing my obligation to my grandson, I'll be picking up the 22 Rimfire test next spring.

I'll keep you posted.

Steve

FOR THOSE WHO HAVE FOUGHT FOR IT
FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR
THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW

tombogan03884

Yup, "other interesting project".  ;D
Have fun.

Sponsor

crocodile_dondii

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
This is a very interesting and informative thread.  I have learned lots.  Many thanks for your time and knowledge.  (I drive a 1900 in Northern Canada, but I was driving KA's before that on medivacs)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk