Author Topic: Asteroid near misses this week  (Read 5935 times)

Timothy

Asteroid near misses this week
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2018, 02:53:43 PM »
I’m safe!

My creator said so...all these lefties here in the Northeast are screwed!

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1108
Re: Asteroid near misses this week
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2018, 06:15:28 PM »
But all the geosynchronous sats are only over the equator.

Yep, give or take a little. They have to be. Many of them appear to do a figure-8 rather than stand still. But if they're also in a geostationary orbit they look like they never move.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2018, 06:59:15 PM »
Some scientists are saying one of those asteroids could hit the Earth, just like they did in the past, but it's unlikely. I also thought it was unlikely that an elk would ever knock a helicopter out of the sky, but that happened. https://www.sltrib.com/news/2018/02/13/elk-brings-down-helicopter-in-eastern-utah/

ETA: That says the flight crew was from Australia but they were actually from Texas. And they spelled Australia wrong.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 455
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2018, 06:57:12 AM »
Or that a commercial airliner would hit a salmon mid-air.   Juneau, AK.   
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2018, 12:10:23 PM »
In ancient Greece Aeschylus was killed by a tortoise dropped by an eagle which had mistaken his bald head for a rock suitable for shattering the shell of the tortoise. If a tortoise can fall out of the sky and kill you so could an asteroid, likely or not. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeschylus

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 12:16:49 AM »

Jim Kennedy-ar154me

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1447
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2018, 01:28:49 PM »
Aww we are all safe. The solar storm will take out all of the asteroids.  ;D ;D ;D

But what about the EMP from the solar flare? :o :o :o
The time for action is upon us and the enemy is at our gates. Let us not allow them one more inch of advancement but instead throw them through the gates of Hell.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2018, 01:45:24 PM »
Regular solar flares have caused communication and navigation problems as recently as last year. Coronal mass ejections are more worrisome. One in 1859 took out parts of the new US telegraph network, starting fires and scaring the crap out of some telegraph operators. The electronics we use today are much more sensitive than telegraph wires. A tiny fraction of that amount of energy could fry anything with a microchip, which is nearly every electronic device we use.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 580
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2018, 06:28:06 PM »
I’m safe!

My creator said so...all these lefties here in the Northeast are screwed!
True dat.

The solar event headed this way isn't supposed to amount to very much.
https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/products/3-day-forecast
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Jim Kennedy-ar154me

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1447
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2018, 11:02:31 AM »
Regular solar flares have caused communication and navigation problems as recently as last year. Coronal mass ejections are more worrisome. One in 1859 took out parts of the new US telegraph network, starting fires and scaring the crap out of some telegraph operators. The electronics we use today are much more sensitive than telegraph wires. A tiny fraction of that amount of energy could fry anything with a microchip, which is nearly every electronic device we use.

Yep. Want some fun, read the book series "Going Home" by the author A. American (short for Angry American),
The time for action is upon us and the enemy is at our gates. Let us not allow them one more inch of advancement but instead throw them through the gates of Hell.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2018, 12:38:19 PM »
Yep. Want some fun, read the book series "Going Home" by the author A. American (short for Angry American),

I may check that out at some point. I still have enough books to keep me busy until next year at least, and more on the way. I was thinking this morning that if everything computerized got fried, but they eventually got the power grid up and running again, my toaster would still work. Not a whole lot more I can think of other than some power tools.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk