Author Topic: Inexpensive 9mm plinker, any suggestions?  (Read 19824 times)

Ron J

Re: Inexpensive 9mm plinker, any suggestions?
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2008, 11:44:22 PM »
True ... the High Point has had better reviews than a SR9 and it looks better than a Glock.  I still have issues (I will get some counseling) shooting something that ugly. 

I would recommend saving your money and buying a "gently" used SIG or Beretta. 

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1111
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2008, 01:56:02 AM »
I heard years ago that several police departments used the Hi-Point Carbine but can't confirm it. If true that gives them more credibility. There's an aftermarket stock by ATI that makes it look more like a Beretta Cx4 Storm.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2008, 09:16:01 AM »
I have fired that carbine a few times- a guy I know has one. It's not bad...rough as hell...seems like it's got nuts and bolts hanging out all over the place, but it's fun, cheap, and always goes bang.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2008, 04:32:57 PM »
And the ATI stock makes it into something you aren't embarrassed to be seen with.  ;D
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

CZShooter

• IDPA SO/MD, NRA RSO
  • Top Forum Member
  • CZ75...the choice of anime's hottest bounty hunter
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2008, 01:48:11 PM »
I owned a Hi-point 9mm for about 12 years...just sold it last year to a friend of mine that wanted a plinker. I paid $109 for it in '95. It was a great plinker...but I would not carry it with a round chambered (came with a big orange sticker on it warning against it). The one I had was single-action and a sharp blow would cause the sear to release the striker. I don't know if they have changed their design since then. Mine didn't have adjustable sights or last round hold-open...the new ones do.
If the women don't find you handsome...they should at least find you handy.

Sponsor

« Reply #35 on: Today at 04:55:34 PM »

Ron J

« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2008, 06:37:13 PM »
And the ATI stock makes it into something you aren't embarrassed to be seen with.  ;D

I dated a couple of girls once-upon-a-time that I said the same thing about.   ;)

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2008, 06:38:03 AM »
I dated a couple of girls once-upon-a-time that I said the same thing about.   ;)

Ouch!
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2008, 01:13:08 PM »
Looks aren't everything.

None of my girlfriends have been a perfect 10, but I had two 3s and a 4. Does that count?

DDMac

• Proudly Bald On
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2008, 07:01:42 PM »
"Went home with a 10 at 2. Woke up with a 2 at 10".- SorryIdon'trememberwhowrotethis.

Out of the last 350 folks coming through the NC Concealed Carry Course I assist with, I recall no function problems from the Hi Point armed students. I do recall numerous alibis from the high dollar guns. The company owner has stopped making remarks about the Hi Point pistols. Klunky but reliable, and accurate enough.

Mac.
Standing up for your Right to lay down suppressive fire since 1948!

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 583
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2008, 08:35:36 PM »
FNP-9

Might even find some with night sites at no cost still out there.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk