Author Topic: Muzzle Brake for AR-15  (Read 15365 times)

Cowboy338

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Muzzle Brake for AR-15
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2010, 05:42:46 PM »
Well, Muzzle brake or compensator. Mine is the Primary Weapons FSC556 comp for my Panther Bull Sweet 16. Had to have my barrel threaded to install the comp. They were able to time the threads so I didn't need the peel washers. WOW what a difference; this thing is awesome, double taps are right on the money. Love this comp.   

Woody

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2010, 09:18:48 PM »
My Bushy came with an Izzy, very accurate.

bafsu92

• Top Forum Member
  • Si vis Pacem, Para bellum
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2010, 06:15:17 AM »
Well, I gotta throw a plug in there for my own design.  I think it's the best on the market, but I'm a bit biased.  ;D

Here is some video of the Titan Compensator in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8Z2k6dFQh0

USSA-1
What's the overall length of the Titan? I couldn't find detailed specs anywhere.
Cogito, ergo armatum sum

"Capitalization is the difference between helping
your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse." - Unknown

"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional illogical liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous liberal press,which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - Unknown

USSA-1

• Top Forum Member
    • US Shooting Academy
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2010, 07:44:19 AM »
bafsu92,

Technically, the overall length is 3 1/4".

For competition purposes, comps are measured when they are attached to the barrel of the rifle, not standing alone.  Since the Titan attaches via a 1/2" threaded barrel, when measured from the end of the muzzle, the comp is 2 3/4" long and is legal for all rifle matches with a 3" maximum length requirement.

Just in case you wanted to know if it was legal for competition.

USSA-1

"Occupo Mens"
Win the Fight

Watch The Tactical Rifle Channel

tombogan03884

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2010, 11:32:12 AM »
Does the Comp. / muzzle break have That much effect on performance that competitors are seperated based on the length of the device ?
I'm not being a smart donkey, I've never dealt with these.

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 05:16:35 PM »

USSA-1

• Top Forum Member
    • US Shooting Academy
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2010, 12:27:54 PM »
Tom,

Get ready for a quick 3-gun history lesson.

Initially, there were only two divisions.  Open and Limited.  This would be mid to late 90's.  Open-anything goes.  Limited-iron sights only, no comps.  With the 94 AWB in full effect, manufacturers started making AR's with muzzle brakes and comps, perm attached.  This caused a problem because every new shooter to the sport would automatically be put into the open division because of a comp they couldn't take off the rifle.  Allowing them into Limited keep new blood coming into the sport, but gave the new rifles a significant advantage over the standard pre-ban flash suppressor rifles, so they changed the rules to allow comps in the Limited division.  At the time the "best" comp on the market was the JP tank brake comp.  It was and still is very good.  Better than the factory comps available at the time.  Since shooters with post ban rifles couldn't change out the comps on the rifles, shooters with pre-ban rifles could use the JP comp while post-ban rifle shooters could not.  There was enough of a design advantage that having a pre-ban rifle with a JP comp was still enough of an advantage over the factory post-ban rifle/comp models that it was still deemed unfair to all those who couldn't acquire a pre-ban, but the powers that be didn't want to outlaw the JP comp across the board.  In the end, they created the 3" rule to prohibit the JP comp from being used in Limited division, but it would still be legal for Open division.

This rule carries through to today, but now there are several new comp designs on the market that are just as good as the JP comp, but fit within the 3"x1" rules, so its more of a carry over rule today, but at the time it was a significant issue.

USSA-1

"Occupo Mens"
Win the Fight

Watch The Tactical Rifle Channel

bafsu92

• Top Forum Member
  • Si vis Pacem, Para bellum
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2010, 12:49:40 PM »
Thanks USSA-1. I might try one out just because the video is so impressive but I was asking since I've been looking for a truly functional comp or flash hider that is long enough to make a 12.5" barrel legal if pinned/welded etc. There are a lot of "flash hiders" on the market that do this but are nothing more than a piece of pipe with some random holes or slots or just a stretched out A2 flash hider. I cant find a quality, functional product that will give at least 3.6" from the end of the barrel.
Cogito, ergo armatum sum

"Capitalization is the difference between helping
your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse." - Unknown

"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional illogical liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous liberal press,which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - Unknown

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk