Author Topic: .40 S&W Caliber Revolver? No Need For Moon "Clips" From Charter Arms  (Read 14921 times)

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
This may be the start of something....

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/04/tim-mcnabb/charter-arms-40-cal-revolver/

Images at link....

Charter Arms .40 Cal Revolver

Posted on April 15, 2012 by Tim McNabb

That’s right – I said .40 cal, as in the .40 S&W.  This sturdy little revolver has a patented detent that allows a rimless cartridge to snap snugly into the cylinder and stay there until you intentionally eject it.  No “moon clips” needed…

I gave it a try with an inert cartridge provided by the nice guys manning Charter Arm’s booth. It takes just a little finger pressure to load, but the cartridge snaps into place. No idea how a speed loader would work, or even if a speed loader is available.

Beyond this interesting innovation, it seems to be a rugged, well made revolver.  Pull the trigger, bang.  I noted that the trigger did not have that gritty feel as my Smith J-Frame 642.

OK I'm interested.... ;D Where is the .45?

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

Pecos Bill

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: .40 S&W Caliber Revolver? No Need For Moon "Clips" From Charter Arms
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 05:32:14 PM »
Ruger did a similar thing years ago with 9 mm. They used a wire spring arrangement. Gun didn't sell. Who, these days, is going to buy a 40 revolver with six shots when you can get a similar sized semi-auto that holds twice or three times the number of shots? Great idea and I hope Charter sells a ton of them but I bet they don't.

Pecos
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress, but I repeat myself." - Mark Twain

Timothy

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 05:38:36 PM »
Kinda agree with Pecos on this one.  Why load for the an anemic "Short & Weak" when you already have the power and history of the .357 Magnum?

Haven't they been talking about this for a few years now?

twyacht

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 05:59:27 PM »
You Short & Weak bashers are forgetting the .gov't thought using tax dollars to contract up to a half a billion Federal JHP's in .40 was worth it.,and it is the most popular LEO caliber, after the failings of the 9mm....

Not all of us carry a .45 (although I do, from time to time, because I celebrate diversity) ::).....and those that know there are more criminals in prison proud of their 9mm "scars"...as they still walk around, the .40 takes the speed of the 9, and the BE of the .45 in a compromise that is effective and popular.

As to the wheel gun......ask alf, or Haz,....some folks would rather have the reliability of a platform that has proven itself with minimal mechanical interaction.....and you know the way to Carnegie Hall right?

Practice
....If you can shoot, 6 has worked very effectively for longer than the 1911 platform, or semi platform has been in existence....and still does.... ;D

Jus' sayin'''' ;)

Review the numbers..

http://www.ballistics101.com/40_caliber_sw.php

Than use your Google-Fu, to research one shot stop ratings.....

Nuff said... ::)
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

Timothy

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 06:14:30 PM »
I practice head shots with a .22 lr these days!

Badgersmilk taught me!

;D ;D

I know the .40 is good enuf!  Just wondering who'd take the bait....

Tag!  Your it TW... ;)

Sponsor

twyacht

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 06:20:06 PM »
Tag!  Your it TW...

Yes I am,...and running as fast as I can....FAIL.....
:P
Col. Jeff Cooper.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 457
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 06:39:57 AM »
As to the wheel gun......ask alf, or Haz,....some folks would rather have the reliability of a platform that has proven itself with minimal mechanical interaction....

Ah, you assume that because I'm fascinated (obsessed) with shooting revolvers that I advocate them for carry.

[Getting on soap box.]

I believe a hammerless, striker-fired, "safety-action" pistol is the most reliable for the FIRST SHOT.     Very little of the mechanics are needed for that first shot and with the exception of the trigger, nothing is exposed that can become fouled.

But for FOLLOWUP shots, everything in a semi-auto must operate and it takes up a substantial amount of space for it to occur.  The possibility of failure in a less than ideal situation is high.

On a revolver, everything must operate BEFORE the FIRST SHOT can fire, and a large portion of the moving parts (by area) are exposed.    However, the space needed for this to operate is the same space that the gun occupies when at rest.

For FOLLOWUP shots on a revolver, if the first one fired, the subsequent ones are very likely to as well.  And of course in the case of ammo failure a revolver has a distinct advantage, along with the fact that FTF and FTE are not revolver terms.

There are many other pros and cons between the two platforms but for me (a civilian)  FIRST SHOT reliability is the top priority in a concealed carry gun.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Pecos Bill

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 01:06:25 PM »
Come on TW when did I bash the 40 S&W? READ my post. I carry a 40 occasionally. I also carry a wheel gun, occasionally. Mostly I carry a small 45 because I like the cartridge.

What I was referring to was in my opinion very few people are going to buy a 40 revolver instead of a 40 semi-auto. Rugers track record with a 9mm revolver is a good illustration. The gun died so quick that most don't know it existed. It worked just didn't sell.

You won't find me bashing many cartridges and I won't refer to the 40 S&W as "short and weak".

Pecos
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress, but I repeat myself." - Mark Twain

tombogan03884

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 03:11:21 PM »
Why ?
If it took 40 and 10mm it might sell, as it is it's just a waste of steel and advertising.
But you watch, the gun media will be telling you it's the greatest thing since soft toilet paper.
Ho Hum.

Timothy

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 03:12:36 PM »
There's soft toilet paper?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk