Author Topic: Northern Lights over Michigan's Mackinac Bridge  (Read 340 times)

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1110
Northern Lights over Michigan's Mackinac Bridge
« on: March 18, 2024, 08:51:55 PM »
Check this out in full-screen HD. One of the most beautiful bridges at night, with heaven's light show behind it.  8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhOhHBz8ePo
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: Northern Lights over Michigan's Mackinac Bridge
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2024, 11:38:22 PM »
I thought you guys might like that. Michigan is a beautiful state once you get out of the cities and head north.

Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore is just one of Michigan's natural beauties and home of dozens of the state's 300+ waterfalls. The U.S. Congress designated Pictured Rocks the first National Lakeshore in the United States in 1966. I downloaded several pictures I planned on posting but it's hard to choose, plus I accidentally renamed all the JPGs in the folder, over 2,000 of them, the same thing. :-[  The best way to see it is by kayak so you can go through the arches and into the "sea" caves. You just don't want to be next to it when "calves an iceberg". :o  There are lots of other videos on YouTube. I just picked one where they were kayaking.

Vegetarian thinks 11 miles is a beast of a hike. LOL! Eat some meat!

https://www.munising.org/explore/pictured-rocks-national-lakeshore/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnypJzVLVTg

Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore 200 foot cliff plummets into Lake Superior.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-DmwYA3NXI
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2024, 07:11:30 PM »
Very cool, Frank. I've always wanted to see the northern lights live and in living color.  8)
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2024, 08:14:46 AM »
I guess it pales in comparison to the view in Alaska, but it's better than nothing. I usually don't get to see anything but the Milky Way, satellites, and the occasional meteor when I'm in the woods by my friend's cabin. He's about 100 mile south of the bridge. All us trolls that live below the bridge miss out on most of the state's natural wonders, unless we drive 4 hours or more.

Another cool place in Michigan is Kitch-iti-kipi, The Big Spring. It's over 5 hours from my house and I've on;y been there once or twice. Kitch-iti-kipi is an oval pool measuring 300 by 175 feet and is about 45 feet deep. 10,000 gallons per minute of spring water pours from fissures in underlying limestone at a constant temperature of 45 degrees year-round. There's a raft attached to a cable with a wheel you can crank to get out in the spring. You can look through the open middle of the raft at a huge trout swimming in the crystal clear water. Instaed of a glass bottom boat, it's no bottom, and a roof overhead to keep the glare off the water. Believe it or not, a lumber company was using the spring as a dump for all the tree tops and crap they didn't want. There are lots of videos of it on YouTube, plus thousands more pictures and videos at Google Maps where it's rated 4.8 out of 5 stars as a tourist attraction. It's gray dolomite, not white limestone, and that may have something to do with the emerald color of the water.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitch-iti-kipi

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Kitch-iti-kipi/@46.00415,-86.3819556,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m8!1e2!3m6!1sAF1QipPlukSZUGPg4aD7PhQD2eyGKL0XjYgxoW2YVJMW!2e10!3e12!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipPlukSZUGPg4aD7PhQD2eyGKL0XjYgxoW2YVJMW%3Dw114-h86-k-no!7i4032!8i3024!4m15!1m7!3m6!1s0x4d4c19e475b4fc33:0x6bdc192aabd3705e!2sKitch-iti-kipi!8m2!3d46.00415!4d-86.3819556!16s%2Fm%2F043kj_j!3m6!1s0x4d4c19e475b4fc33:0x6bdc192aabd3705e!8m2!3d46.00415!4d-86.3819556!10e5!16s%2Fm%2F043kj_j?entry=ttu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvV1Ucfjy-4

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2024, 08:35:03 AM »
Not far northeast from there is The Seney National Wildlife Refuge, a managed wetland with an area of 95,212 acres. The refuge contains the Seney Wilderness Area and the Strangmoor Bog National Natural Landmark within its boundaries. While the Seney National Wildlife Refuge is oriented towards maintaining living space for bird life, river otters, beavers, moose, black bears and wolves also live in the refuge. 211 separate species of birds have been logged at Seney, including ducks, bald eagles, trumpeter swans, osprey, sandhill cranes, and common loons. On the western side of the National Wildlife Refuge, a parcel is officially designated as a wilderness with an area of 25,150 acres.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seney_National_Wildlife_Refuge

There's a snowmobile trail that's basically across the road from it, where I rode my ATV through a 10-mile+ long mud hole. I'd have to ask my friend who has snowmobile maps how long it is. Most people won't even drive through a 10 feet mud hole if they can go around it. It took a really long time to get through it. I was bouncing from stump to stump through reeds or cattails or whatever it was. I had to winch myself through a couple spots, and near the end it was flooded so bad I didn't think I could go through the water. My friends who drove around it were waiting for me at the end, and when I got there I was covered with mud from head to toe. Mud-bogging isn't for everyone. And it's not for me anymore either.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 01:26:03 PM »

Timothy

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2024, 12:18:43 PM »
Very cool, Frank. I've always wanted to see the northern lights live and in living color.  8)

Iceland was vivid rainbow colors…cool stuff!

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2024, 04:10:02 PM »
That must have been truly amazing, Timothy.

Timothy

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2024, 06:34:04 PM »
That must have been truly amazing, Timothy.

Yes, pretty much nightly (mostly dark 18-23 hrs) in the winter months.  Our facility was about 6 miles from the airfield so no ambient light to wash it out.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk