Author Topic: Poor Gun Law Administration  (Read 18323 times)

mward58

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Poor Gun Law Administration
« on: May 08, 2008, 08:19:45 PM »
Just wanted to share my experience with the Oakdale MN Police Department with obtaining my permit to purchase. I applied on Tues. Apr 29 at 8:AM. They told me it would take 7-10 days (I know that should have been a red flag since I read the statute and it says 7 days).

This Wed I called the Oakdale Police office and the person who answered the phone said they are still waiting for a response from my place of residence nine years ago. I stated that the way I read the law is that decisions are to be made within 7 days. She abruptly stated,  "The way we do it here is 7-10 work days." I did not argue. It is now Thursday the 8th at 7:14 PM and I still have not been notified.

Just out of curiosity, I looked at local municipality websites to see how they administrate this law. Crow Wing County states 7-10 days. Burnsville states 2-3 weeks. Coon Rapids seemed to get it right with 5-7 days. They confirm my understanding of the law with this statement on their site:  "The application process takes approximately 5 to 7 Days. State statute 624.7131 subdivision 5 ensures the permitee will be provided with a permit or notified of a denial of permit within a 7 day period. When the permit is ready, the applicant will be notified by telephone. "

What really perturbs me is not the wait so much, it is the inconsistency of administering the law by people who are supposed to "know the law". Hopefully this poor administration of even a poorer law will not cause me to miss out on the sweet 686 Smith and Wesson I have on lay-a -way.

Thank you for reading this epistle on how I have been harmed by those who feel they are the only ones who know how to "do good".

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 83
Re: Poor Gun Law Administration
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 09:06:14 PM »
Maybe a letter to the local prosecutor with a cc: to the Police Chief asking why the department is allowed to violate the state law, which has supremacy?

But then I have been know to whack a hornet's nest with stick before.   :o
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

mward58

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 09:33:34 PM »
Maybe a letter to the local prosecutor with a cc: to the Police Chief asking why the department is allowed to violate the state law, which has supremacy?

But then I have been know to whack a hornet's nest with stick before.   :o

If I did not have 500 bucks down on a revolver I might. What I find disturbing is the blatant poor administration by the local governments. Crow Wing County has a link to the Brady Bunch right below the handgun permit info http://www.co.crow-wing.mn.us/sheriff/handgun_permit_information/permit_to_purchase_handgun.html

tombogan03884

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 09:40:36 PM »

But then I have been know to whack a hornet's nest with stick before.   :o

Have a GOOD lawyer write the letter, If the LAW states 7 days it MEANS 7 days.

mward58

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 10:56:40 PM »

Have a GOOD lawyer write the letter, If the LAW states 7 days it MEANS 7 days.

That's what I thought too. But according to the clerk in Oakdale it means 7-10 Business days. Read subdivision 5 and see if you are as dumb as I am! https://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/bin/getpub.php?type=s&num=624.7131&year=2007

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 04:25:42 PM »

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 83
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 05:53:14 AM »
If I did not have 500 bucks down on a revolver I might. What I find disturbing is the blatant poor administration by the local governments. Crow Wing County has a link to the Brady Bunch right below the handgun permit info http://www.co.crow-wing.mn.us/sheriff/handgun_permit_information/permit_to_purchase_handgun.html

Even the PD's own website quotes state law, as linked to above. Screw 'em, a good letter by a lawyer to the state's Attorney General.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 09:28:19 PM »
Since NC is different from county to county, I can say living in several different counties, your county is consistent with others that
act as if WE are imposing on the "system" to get a purchase permit or CCW.

It took me 3 trips to the sheriffs office, parking, waiting, waiting some more, taking a $90.00 course, paying a $90.00 fee, notary, references,,... etc,...

BUT, I got it. I earned it, qualified for it and did the dance to get it. Yes it seems the law abiding citizens get the hassle, compared to the criminal who can get whatever in 5 minutes.

I am stocking up on PMAGS, and other "stuff" before the price goes up even more. My .45 Colt prices are outta sight!!

Fight the good fight and don't let 'em pull that crap. File a complaint, something, and good luck.

If the ATF, DEA FBI, show up at your house, keep us posted.
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2008, 09:37:23 PM »
We all  need to stand up when we are being messed over.

All too often we keep our heads down in fear of losing what little we have.  That's just the attitude the antis want us to have, fear!

It is a RIGHT, so stand up for it.  If the law says 10 days then THAT'S IT.  10 days, no more!  Take a stand.
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 580
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2008, 08:16:13 AM »
Police department policies that refuse to follow the law...what's next...or perhaps what is happening now, eh?

What is that that makes us different from, oh say, Pol Pot?  Being a nation of laws?

I knew there was a reason for that pesky 2nd Ammendment.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

tombogan03884

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2008, 10:12:11 AM »
In Ma. a county Sherrif was removed and arrested for charging an extra $20 "Handling fee" for CCW permits.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk