Author Topic: Photographing guns  (Read 22058 times)

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1046
Re: Photographing guns
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2009, 02:14:34 PM »
The hard part of photographing guns is how to pose them. I want to make a wooden stand to hold pistols through the magazine well to get a dimensional view. Rifles are a whole different story.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1103
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2009, 04:48:06 PM »
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sorry Frank, please don't skin me with your K-bar.... ;D

Don't worry Tim...

I don't have a Ka-Bar.  ;D
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 879
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2009, 08:01:03 PM »
I'm sorry if I step on someone's favorite hobby, but to me snapping and posting any quality picture of a firearm is like getting the last layer off a fine stripper ... I don't get too wound up about the quality of the light, background, perspective, or even how dirty my glasses are.

I'm happy with anything you post and tell me about!

I now return you to your qualified debate and comparison of fine artwork while I go study the subjects  ;D
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

BAC

« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2009, 08:12:42 PM »
I never thought about taking pictures of my firearms before (before today anyway).  So I played a little today and here's what I got.  I had fun anyway.   ;D

1776 Rebel

« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2009, 08:21:35 PM »
BAC I don't know if you were joking or not, but your two photos are really good ! The composition and quality are simply top notch IMHO. What camera did you use (and any settings) and how did you handle the lighting etc? I would like us to STEAL ...errr... LEARN from each other in this exercise.  ;D

Sponsor

« Reply #35 on: Today at 06:36:20 PM »

CZShooter

• IDPA SO/MD, NRA RSO
  • Top Forum Member
  • CZ75...the choice of anime's hottest bounty hunter
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2009, 08:23:32 PM »
I never thought about taking pictures of my firearms before (before today anyway).  So I played a little today and here's what I got.  I had fun anyway.   ;D

Those are top-notch photos!  :o
If the women don't find you handsome...they should at least find you handy.

BAC

« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2009, 08:49:07 PM »
BAC I don't know if you were joking or not, but your two photos are really good ! The composition and quality are simply top notch IMHO. What camera did you use (and any settings) and how did you handle the lighting etc? I would like us to STEAL ...errr... LEARN from each other in this exercise.  ;D

Thanks for the kind words Rebel!  I'd be happy to discuss.  Both photos were taken with an Olympus E-30 w/50mm f2.0 macro lens.  Both were shot in Aperture priority mode.  If you have a camera that can shoot in Aperture priority (AV or Aperture value for Canon users), I highly recommend making it your friend, especially when shooting macro stuff.  You can control how much (or little) depth of field is in your picture.  By selecting a smaller number (f2.8, 4.0, 5.6) the amount of the scene that appears in sharp focus (front to back) is fairly shallow, which is great for isolating your subject from the background, as in a portrait.  Larger aperture values (f11, 16, 22) give you much greater depth, good for macro and landscapes.  Just be aware that as the values get larger the aperture itself gets smaller, letting less and less light into the lens.  To compensate the camera has to use a slower and slower shutter speed to give you correct exposure.  This is where a good tripod comes in handy.

Back to the photos: the top picture was shot as f8 at 1/10 of a second and ISO 1600.  I shot using available light so the laser would show up.  The high ISO value was needed because I was shooting handheld with one hand while my other hand was pushing the button on the laser grip.  1/10 second is normally much too slow to shoot handheld, by my camera has image stabilization built into the body which allows me to use any lens handheld at really slow shutter speeds and get tack sharp results, and I'm too lazy to get my tripod out of the car.   ;D

The bottom photo was shot at f16 at 1/100 of a second and ISO 100.  This shot was taken with a macro twin flash attached to the front of the lens.  I love the flash because I can control the direction and intensity of each flash head independently to get the look that I want.  You'll notice I used a much smaller aperture (larger number) to get greater depth of field.  The reflective surface underneath is the white three-ring binder I use for my sample prints.

Yes, this is my first time photographing my guns, but not my first time photographing.   ;)

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1046
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2009, 09:48:17 PM »
Damn fine shootin', BAC........ ;)

How far away was the camera from the guns?

And did I say, damn fine shootin' ?

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

BAC

« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2009, 10:15:32 PM »
Damn fine shootin', BAC........ ;)

How far away was the camera from the guns?

And did I say, damn fine shootin' ?

Thank you.

Not very (maybe 6-10").

And thank you.   ;D

tombogan03884

« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2009, 11:18:46 PM »
My camera has , M, AV, TV, P, Auto, Then 7 little icons, I just ran through them and these were the best 2 I got
icon of a head,

icon of a Mountain,

Need to find and READ the instructions  :(

Overhead light and flash

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk