Author Topic: Tried my hand at holster making  (Read 5981 times)

DaverZ

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: Tried my hand at holster making
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 08:44:10 AM »
Look pretty good to me!
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

blackwolfe

• A Simple Man
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 10:46:13 AM »
Looking good.  Leather work is another thing I want to try when ever I can find that elusive time.
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. "    Abraham Lincoln

Wolfe

tombogan03884

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 12:19:50 PM »
Your hand must be killing you after all that awl punching. Nice job.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 887
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 12:31:33 PM »
Look nice.  On #8, I think it is an inside the pocket, are those rivits or snaps?  If snaps, what are they for?  If rivets, forget I asked the what for question?
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:33:31 AM »

DaverZ

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 01:23:45 PM »
rivets,holds the holster to the cover plate.actually,i use a punch to make the holes for the thread and needles,so its not too bad as far as cramping goes  lol

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 11:30:25 PM »
Looks like you started from your own mind and not copying, a small hint, cardboard works great for your initial design, its about the right thickness and forms easily, so you can think of something and put it together with cardboard initially, if it seems to work, then use the cardboard as a template, and cut the leather to match and go from there.

I love working in leather, especially holsters and mag pouches. Get a few books, I especially like John Bianchi ( Blue steel and gunleather) some good tips there, especially on finishing the leather.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

True_Texan

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 01:30:48 AM »
I know this may be cheesy, but I use a Speedy Stitcher when I work with leather. It leaves a nice looking stitch if you take the time to pull everything tight.
"Before giving someone a piece of your mind, be sure you have enough to spare."

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 01:44:37 AM »
I generally use a saddle stitch for my leather, and 1st use the stitching wheel to mark my holes and then use a drill press and a 1/16th'' drill bit to make the holes after I have glued the welt together. Yes, pull the thread hard as you do the stitch, and everything comes together very nice. Keep it up.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 887
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2009, 07:27:39 AM »
I took a leather class way back when I was in Boy Scouts and did a few projects.  There was a tool, had five chisel points, that cut slightly into the leather.  This spaced everything evenly and allowed the stitches to be hidden..  You guys have been getting more and more interested in trying this again.  All I've done so far is a few belts, pouches and sheaths for knives I made.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk