Author Topic: Re: Semi-auto main battle rifle type weapon....UPDATE  (Read 9127 times)

fatbaldguy

• Top Forum Member
  • Friends, don't let friends, shop Wal-Mart
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Semi-auto main battle rifle type weapon....UPDATE
« on: August 06, 2014, 06:28:17 PM »
In .308.  I've looked at AR-10 types, M1-A types, PTR-91 types, and even looked a couple of the Russian AK variants.

I'm ready to 'pull the trigger' on the Ruger SR762.  The optic will be a Leupold VX2-R 2-7x33, with the Firedot reticle.  I will be changing the butt-stock to something more to my liking later.

Talk me out of it, or re-enforce my selection.
“It will be of little avail to the people that the laws are made by men of their own choice if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot be read, or so incoherent that they cannot be understood.”

James Madison

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: Semi-auto main battle rifle type weapon....
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 06:50:48 PM »
Or you could buy 2 FN-FALs
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 07:30:19 PM »
Or you could buy 2 FN-FALs

That's a lot of talking, Haz.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 07:46:58 PM »
Deepwater bought one for $700 last year.  It is in my safe right now.
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 10:02:03 PM »
I've had 2 M1As, an inch pattern L1A1, and AR10 (and no longer have any)....make sure there are magazines available for it that are not proprietary...

Sponsor

Re: Re: Semi-auto main battle rifle type weapon....UPDATE
« Reply #5 on: Today at 10:14:19 AM »

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 12:10:35 AM »
I've had 2 M1As, an inch pattern L1A1, and AR10 (and no longer have any)....make sure there are magazines available for it that are not proprietary...

Yep.

It is always the ancillary items that gum up the works.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 457
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 05:21:33 AM »
I'm with Les.   Stick with the AR or M1A because of magazine availability.

Though I went with the FN-FNAR, and I'm paying the price in the cost of mags.  I really like the gun though. 

Nice choice of optics.    I also like the Nikon Monarch line as well. 
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

tombogan03884

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 06:39:02 AM »
I've been putting thought into this and I have downsides to pretty much every one on the market.
Here's the ones I can think of off the top of my head at 7:30 AM.

M-1-A   Ejected brass bouncing off your precision, probably expensive, optic, Mag prices

AK pattern, magazine availability and feed problems, (There is a reason 7.62X 39 mags are curved and 7.62X51 aren't )

HK/G3/PTR, Fluted chamber bulges brass making reloading more work and shortening case life, (NOTE, mags are CHEAP though)

FN FAL, Not noted for the type of accuracy you would expect from the others.

AR , If you use a shooting sling the barrel bends, you can allow for it with iron sights, but a scope on the receiver doesn't move with the barrel, Full float tube might eliminate the problem, I don't know. DPMS, or CMMG model lowers let you use other types of Mags, but Armalite uses proprietary mags that at last look cost $70 each

vincewarde

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2014, 11:11:41 AM »
AR , If you use a shooting sling the barrel bends, you can allow for it with iron sights, but a scope on the receiver doesn't move with the barrel, Full float tube might eliminate the problem, I don't know. DPMS, or CMMG model lowers let you use other types of Mags, but Armalite uses proprietary mags that at last look cost $70 each

You said it yourself: Free float tube.  Also, using a loop sling that only "pulls" on the front tube should also help.  IMHO, one of the greatest advantages of a DI AR is the ability to float the barrel as well as a bolt gun.  I'm assuming the Ruger's gun is a piston model, since their 5.56 is - personally, I would go DI and a free float tube.

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2014, 07:27:46 PM »
You said it yourself: Free float tube.  Also, using a loop sling that only "pulls" on the front tube should also help.  IMHO, one of the greatest advantages of a DI AR is the ability to float the barrel as well as a bolt gun.  I'm assuming the Ruger's gun is a piston model, since their 5.56 is - personally, I would go DI and a free float tube.

Yep.  ^^this^^
My DI 308 may be heavier than hell with it's Kreiger barrel, (it was heavy before) but it shoots like a dream.
Uses DPMS pattern mags cuz that's who made it for Remington. (R25)
You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk