Author Topic: Rockcastle Rimfire Challenge - Retirement Kickoff  (Read 5899 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 455
Rockcastle Rimfire Challenge - Retirement Kickoff
« on: June 05, 2018, 04:45:32 PM »
[SHORT STORY]

Registered to shoot the Rimfire Challenge at Rockcastle, KY on 7/21.  Got Miss Kitty and I a room there, too.  Will be a nice vaca.  If anyone else is going let me know.

[LONG WAR STORY]

Miss Kitty has worked for the church's Academy for 16 years as librarian.  When she was hired there was a brand new building and a large empty room.   She built the collection to over 25,000 volumes.  Held some of the largest Scholastic book fairs ($35k gross) in the country.  Has been a marketing dynamo for this school.   In April, she was informed her contract would not be renewed for 2018-19.  She was DUMPED.  She's kept a positive attitude and done all she can to help the person taking over for her.  Basically, she made too much money and they were cutting corners.  Great for this coming year's budget, but long term they've lost quite an asset.

I have always told the church, when Miss Kitty goes, I go.  So I informed them 3 weeks ago I'd stay through July.   I've been real busy getting everything in order at work.  Tamping down the gravel one last time where all the evidence is buried.  Finally finishing up all those temporary installations and making them look neat.  Completing documentation.

The Rimfire Challenge will be my retirement kickoff.   The first, I hope, of many matches I'll be shooting over the coming years.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1109
Re: Rockcastle Rimfire Challenge - Retirement Kickoff
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 06:15:54 PM »
If I was dumped I wouldn't help my replacement much. They'll have years to figure it out, or get dumped themselves. Either way it all works out in the end. Congratulations on your coming retirement. I hope you and Miss Kitty don't get sick of each other from being around each other too much. My friend's wife said she's getting a job when he retires, just to get out of the house. Being together 24/7 is too much. I see many matches in your future. ;)
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 582
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 06:51:07 AM »
Well, congrats on retirement but it's a shame it came to you the way it did.  I took a look at where that was in Kentucky because I thought...hey, that sounds like fun.  But...it's a loooonnnggggg way from home to skip a few days at work. 

Anyway, since it did look like fun whilst looking for an address to the shooting locale I came across a rimfire competition board than there's one nearer to me in Columbia, Missouri, (Midway USA home) on September 8.  Maybe.....just maybe.......

So much for my digression.  You'll need to keep us apprised with your preparations and practices to get ready.  Maybe you guys should get an RV like Timothy's been talking about...make competition a regular thing across our great land.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 08:12:08 AM »
Alf...I'm not familiar with the Rimfire challenge.... is there a posted course of fire, or is the Rimfire Challenge an offshoot of the steel challenge format, or something like the Chevy Sportsman's Team Challenge?

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 04:24:38 PM »
Alf...I'm not familiar with the Rimfire challenge.... is there a posted course of fire, or is the Rimfire Challenge an offshoot of the steel challenge format, or something like the Chevy Sportsman's Team Challenge?

Started out as Ruger Rimfire Challenge.   Then NSSF took it over and ran it for a few years.   Now it has become it's own entity with Michael Bane and Ken Jorgensen as two of the chief board members.

http://www.rimfirechallenge.org/

Will work for ammo

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 03:10:33 AM »

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2018, 04:29:51 PM »
If I was dumped I wouldn't help my replacement much. They'll have years to figure it out, or get dumped themselves.

Miss Kitty didn't want to be vindictive.  However, her assistant has zero qualifications to be a librarian, and Miss Kitty did not give her a crash course in library science.  She did however, complete her normal end-of-school-year duties and answered any question her assistant had.   The school is trying to cut corners by not hiring a certified librarian.  The Academy's accreditation isn't up for review for 5 years so they can play this game. 

We will both be ignoring some phone calls come August.

Will work for ammo

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1109
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2018, 06:14:23 PM »
I worked one semester of high school in the library. It was the best hour of my 5 hour school day. I didn't enjoy reading when I had to do book reports, but once I was out of school I started reading more. When I was awake but not working, I read during downtime when I was on call about 1,100 hours straight, 4 times a year in the army. If I didn't have a computer I'd probably be reading a book now.

Not going out of your way to help someone isn't vindictive. I would show the other person how to log on to the computer and/or where the card catalog is, depending on how ancient the library is. But if I'm not being paid to train someone I wouldn't. They can look up the Dewey Decimal System online if they don't know anything about it. If the library needs a librarian they should have one on staff. And if not, they get what they paid for.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2018, 09:28:40 PM »
Alf... thank you for the reply....

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 582
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2018, 05:18:47 PM »
Practicing or making preparations for the Rimfire Challenge?
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2018, 09:49:27 PM »
Rastus... no, if the question was directed at me... I built a 10/22 for the Sportsman's Team Challenge, but from looking at the rifles and pistols pictured looks like they are super light weight designed to shoot the steel challenge type matches... the STC was a fixed time precision event out to 90yd offhand... I do have a couple of good pistols, SW M41 and High Standard Citation in case it shows up around the Tampa Bay area...

if anyone is building a 10/22 I have some suggestions, but have not kept up with the gains of technology... since my last STC match was in 1998...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk