Author Topic: Glock pistols and lead Bullet?  (Read 9148 times)

Combat Diver

• De Oppresso Liber
  • Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Glock pistols and lead Bullet?
« on: October 20, 2009, 01:58:06 AM »
This week I've been offered a deal on a Special Forces special addition on a Glock 30 (SF,C,RTF) in .45 ACP. Now, I'm not a Glock fan as I've shot them and never like the feel, granted they work and always seem to. My question is how does the Glocks handle reloads and especially with lead bullets? I cast 95% of my 45 ACP bullets for my M1911 and would continue to shoot lead through the Glock if I get it.

Thanks in advance.

CD
Iraq: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09,15 & 16' Afghanistan: 09,10,11,14 & 17'

Badgersmilk

Re: Glock pistols and lead Bullet?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 03:01:21 AM »
The barrels don't use standard cut threads to get clogged with the lead.  

http://www.scribd.com/doc/3672771/Glock-Manual-17-17L-19-20-21-22-23-24

I know it doesn't list the G30, but the barrels manufactured with the same finish and threads.  Doesn't say anything about not using lead in there.

I LOVE my G30.  Heavy for a CCW gun IMO, but otherwise perfect!

lonedog

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 03:34:22 AM »
I love my G30 and my 21 also but I would never should lead in them. Glock says not to do it. Just don't do it.

The polygonal rifling is not made to shoot lead thru. After enuff lead gets deposited (there are no deep cut grooves for the lead to collect in) the pressures go way up. keep it up and sooner or later the gun will explode in your hand and you may be minus some fingers or an eye or two. if you've got plenty of those to spare, go ahead.

I strongly advise against the practice. If you just must then vigorously brush and swab the lead out reliigiously after every 50 or no more than 100 rounds.

lonedog

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 03:37:33 AM »
And I am not just repeating an old wives tale. I personally know of 2 40 caliber Glocks that became bombs from shooting lead and not keeping the lead fastidiously out.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 457
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 05:31:59 AM »
OTOH:

You can get a replacement barrel that is traditional land/groove and shoot lead up a storm.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 08:23:14 AM »

Kilroy

• Active Forum Member
  • JAFMP
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 10:52:37 AM »
Few, very few, shooters actually know the proper way to clean lead out of their barrels.  Add to that, most lead bullets are related to reloads, which ANY manufacturer will consider the warranty voided.  Yes, I know, "MY reloads" have never caused a problem.  Most gun companies service departments have folks who specialize in resolving problems with reloads.  No company can possibly warranty a gun for every possible reload that might have a chance for going through any particular firearm.
Kilroy...

...was here.

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 12:44:33 PM »
The .45's still have octagonal, not polygonal rifling. My 21 has digested thousands upon thousands of lead bullets.

Technical specifications

http://www.glock.com/english/index_pistols.htm
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

yankeefist

• Forum Member
    • yankeefist.net
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 06:42:28 PM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 09:22:12 PM »
an octagon is a polygon

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/polygon

True but I believe Glock went from 8 sided  to 12 or 16 sided.

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 10:21:28 PM »
In a Glock, the difference between octagonal and polygonal, is the shape, and the twist, but the shape is what makes the big difference. The octagonal, are square shaped lands and grooves, like 99% of the barrels on the planet, the polygonal rifling, has rounded lands and grooves, if you own a Glock, pull out or just open the slide and with a good backlight, look through the barrel::), you will see the difference. The polygonal rifling allows for less friction on a jacketed bullet, but still with good engraving on the projectile, it also allows soft bullets, ( lead ) to kind of skate through the bore, skipping through the rifling, rather than engraving. This skipping, leaves deposits, heavier than normal.

Yankee fist, then why are there 2 terms?? Geometry does not equal reality sometimes.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk