Author Topic: One more man converted to the AR  (Read 2745 times)

Fatman

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
One more man converted to the AR
« on: January 09, 2009, 05:28:53 PM »
Thanks to you guys here and your fine information you convinced me to become an AR advocate, and I just converted a 'guns for hunting only' fellow into an advocate too. I walked into a jewelry shop today that also deals in used guns, looking for some ammo. What I was looking for was not there, but a lively discussion between the owner and a customer was going on. Both were agreeing the AR was 'a $1500 plinker' and both said they couldn't see any reason to own one, what with all the fine hunting rifles available. Both also were saying a ban on them wouldn't be the end of the world.

Well, I politely pointed out that I used to not understand what the attraction was, and explained about having one lower and depending on the lower being able to replace the upper with either .243 or  6.8 mm  uppers with flat tops for hunting optics. Explained the flatter trajectory in the AR and the relatively cheaper ammo in the 5.56 or 7.62 base setup for practice.  Short time later, we have two guys who now care if the AR platform is banned, and at least one who said he's going to try to get one ASAP.  :)
Anti: I think some of you gentleman would choose to apply a gun shaped remedy to any problem or potential problem that presented itself? Your reverance (sic) for firearms is maintained with an almost religious zeal. The mind boggles! it really does...

Me: Naw, we just apply a gun-shaped remedy to those extreme life threatening situations that call for it. All the less urgent problems we're willing to discuss.

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: One more man converted to the AR
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 07:05:41 PM »
Good for you Fman!  If we don't get those types to understand that ban one means ban all and that the AR platform is a solid, vesatile option even for hunting, we will lose.

Keep up the good work!
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1116
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 08:17:39 PM »
Good work Fatman. One type of gun getting banned is the first step to all of them getting banned. A lot of people who don't use an AR-15, a semi-auto shotgun, a handgun, etc. seem to think the guns they do use won't get banned right after the others. getting them interested is in everyone's best interest.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 460
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 09:01:08 PM »
Way to go, Fatman.  Sounds like you converted 2 people.

I've owned an AR for 15 years, but never thought about the possibilities until recently.   I'm now thinking that my bolt action varmint is just hogging space in the safe.  Oh and my .338Fed bolt action too.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

CurrieS103

• NRA Life Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 08:47:56 AM »
Awesome Fatman!  Now let's hope those two tell two more guys who tell two more.....
Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference. - George Washington

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 03:51:30 PM »

HAWKFISH

• Top Forum Member
  • One thing I've learned. **"It's hit or be hit."**
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 08:49:32 AM »
Rock On!  ;)

cooptire

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 09:12:06 AM »
Good work! That is what we all have needed to do for the last several years. Let's hope that we really have converted enough. Don't forget to tell these people that "sporting" has nothing to do with the 2nd Amendment though! That will be just another avenue for the anti's to attack us thru.
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined." Patrick Henry

tombogan03884

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 01:37:34 PM »
What they said ! You can use the example of the Remington 750 and the AR 10 (R 25) . Both are semi auto .308's but one has pretty wood and the other has durable composite. One would be viewed as a "hunting" rifle, the other as an "assault rifle" but they are basically the same, with the exception that the AR is DESIGNED with ease of safe operation and maintainability in mind.
Considering that the military procures arms with the idea that they will be used by people with minimal training, and fire arms knowledge (in general) it is safe to say that military style rifles such as the AK or AR may be MORE appropriate for use by civilians of varying training levels.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk