Author Topic: Up And Coming: 9mm Carbine  (Read 17494 times)

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Up And Coming: 9mm Carbine
« on: December 27, 2013, 12:11:32 PM »
Rarely am I at the start of a trend, but this time I think I'm on to something. Over the last few years I have been thinking about a type of firearm I'd like that is not all that common. I have also noticed over those same few years that the gun industry has been going on little jaunts....such as the mini 9s, the resurgence of the 380, and the rush to .22 and .22 training after Sandy Hook.

Recently Taurus came out with something like what I'm thinking...the 9mm carbine.
I think it's a great idea...fairly large projectile, high velocity, especially out of a rifle barrel, and low cost to operate.  Trouble is, other than the old camp rifle I haven't seen much that is available or workable. I would think they would sell like hotcakes.
There's the Beretta- overpriced and feels like a Star Wars toy. The Kel Tec Sub... ok but hard to find and a little odd. There's the High Point which to me looks like it's built out of plumbing parts. There's also the Olympia 9mm AR type- pretty expensive for a plinker/light defense carbine. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few, but none has the features, price, and availability I'd like to see.

I just think that a nicely made, versatile, "Not-odd-looking", inexpensive 9mm semi-auto carbine would be a big hit and it's an overlooked part of the market.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
Re: Up And Coming: 9mm Carbine
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 01:34:22 PM »
I would love to see Marlin bring back their 9 MM and .45 ACP Camp Carbines in either Walnut or synthetic stocks. Having them in Stainless Steel would be a big plus as well. With todays ammunition costs, there is no doubt they would sell. Have them Glock magazine compatible.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1103
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 03:12:15 PM »
The Taurus carbines are too Buck Rogers looking for me. Plus I don't have a 9mm or .40 caliber pistol to share ammo with. http://www.taurususa.com/rifles.cfm

P.S. 10 rounds is not enough for a pistol caliber carbine. I have 15 and 20 round mags for my Para/MechTech .45.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 04:21:33 PM »
i agree the camp carbine coming back would be awesome, i would buy one or three of them.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 05:10:12 PM »
What about the one (Mec-Tec maybe) that you use the Glock or 1911 lower?  The Glock with a 33 round mag would be OK.  They are a bit heavy and I have never fired one so I can't speak for reliability.

FWIW

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 02:14:13 PM »

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2013, 05:49:02 PM »
never shot a mektek, but a few cc, the cc does not have a pistol grip.  It would also not trigger CA  aw laws, the mektek is a felony in CA, if you install it.   legal to own, just can't install it.

DanPatWork

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2013, 06:30:44 PM »
If Marlin would bring out the camp carbines in options for glock mag feed I would be all over that. Until that happens I'm being constantly tempted by the sub2000 from Keltec or the JR carbine.

http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/sub-2000/rifle/

http://www.justrightcarbines.com/JR_Carbine_Products.html
"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
- Thomas Jefferson, Commonplace Book (quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria), 1774-1776

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1103
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2013, 07:15:11 PM »
If the Camp Carbine .45 had a double column mag I would have bought one when they first came out. That was the only reason I went with the MechTech. The carbine length barrel increases your muzzle energy by roughly 1/3. I guess it depends on the ammo. I had some Winchester truncated cone FMJ +Ps that blew a pop can full of water completely in two. I thought it was impressive for a FMJ.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

ccd

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2013, 09:31:04 PM »
Citadel (Legacy Sports) is going to be importing a 9 mm version
of the M1 Carbine. The price is supposed to be reasonable
IIRC. Just checked GOG website and msrp for the synthetic
stocked version is $625.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2013, 09:52:58 PM »
THey may 40( i think thats the number) round 1911  mags.  For the guns purpose. Standard or 10 round mags fit the bill.  The idea was the same as a 6 gun and a lever gun, to have interchangeable amm.  Same idea, just the mag interchangable too.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk