Author Topic: Re: Semi-auto main battle rifle type weapon....UPDATE  (Read 9122 times)

tombogan03884

Re: Semi-auto main battle rifle type weapon....
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2014, 06:07:31 AM »
You said it yourself: Free float tube.  Also, using a loop sling that only "pulls" on the front tube should also help.  IMHO, one of the greatest advantages of a DI AR is the ability to float the barrel as well as a bolt gun.  I'm assuming the Ruger's gun is a piston model, since their 5.56 is - personally, I would go DI and a free float tube.

Another option would be the "Monolith" system made by either Ed Brown, or Les Baer, ( It's early, I forget which) but at $7,000+ you better be SURE that's what you want . ;D
They machine the upper receiver and float tube all from one piece of metal.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 879
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2014, 12:12:40 PM »
I don't know why they have not standardized the magazines for the AR-10, but that is an issue (availability) to consider regardless of the make and model.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

DanPatWork

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2014, 06:09:20 PM »
Nobody is showing any love for the SCAR here? I'll be honest, while non traditional this rifle really pulls on my list of wants vs. available funds. I'm sure some have had problems with them, but I have heard mostly only good things.

http://www.fnhusa.com/l/products/tactical/scar-series/scar-17/
"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
- Thomas Jefferson, Commonplace Book (quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria), 1774-1776

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2014, 11:01:13 PM »
I shot one of the 5.56 SCARS with a suppressor on one stage at Ft Benning...the "feel" didn't do anything for me, but was only for 10 rounds...I shoot a shorter VietNam era A1 stock on a 16" mid flat top with a 4x32 ACOG with roll over sights.... it does everything I ask of it...

DanPatWork

• Liked:
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2014, 12:52:49 PM »
An inexpensive AR-10 build may be on the way. Palmetto is hinting around again on facebook with screenshots of their lower.
"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
- Thomas Jefferson, Commonplace Book (quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria), 1774-1776

Sponsor

Re: Re: Semi-auto main battle rifle type weapon....UPDATE
« Reply #15 on: Today at 04:34:51 PM »

tombogan03884

DanPatWork

• Liked:
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2014, 01:04:13 PM »
So palmetto did it. Parts are on sale now. A MSRP of under 200, and SR25 pattern magazines.  Decent introductory price on the lowers.  Also dont forget to compare the Aero precision prices as well.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-10/psa-pa10-stripped-308-lower-receiver.html

fatbaldguy

• Top Forum Member
  • Friends, don't let friends, shop Wal-Mart
  • Liked:
Re: Semi-auto main battle rifle type weapon....UPDATE
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2014, 05:43:17 PM »
After waffling, flip-flopping, and changing my mind more times than a woman in a shoe store, the Ruger SR762 is en-route to my gun/toy dealer.

Now, I'm saving for the optic and shopping for metal magazines.
“It will be of little avail to the people that the laws are made by men of their own choice if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot be read, or so incoherent that they cannot be understood.”

James Madison

robert69

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: Semi-auto main battle rifle type weapon....UPDATE
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2014, 02:05:38 AM »
I would put my DPMS LR-308 up against any other .308 AR weapon.  All stock except the trigger.
Not for full time carry, just putting multiple rounds in small holes.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk