Author Topic: .410  (Read 14950 times)

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: .410
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2009, 08:51:56 PM »
the only real diffrence between the guages is the ammount of shot.
AND powder TAB. Bushpilot may say clean kill or a miss, but he's wrong. There is option C, a bird that takes a pellet and dies later. I like .410 for clays and snakes, and even quail if you have the discipline to NOT take a shot that is in any way marginal, but its iffy for birds in a shotgun and silly for SD in a 4" barrel pistol. If we're talking shot guns with a 20" or so barrel (giving it adequate burn time), why not move to .20 gauge? Not much more recoil or weight and no question about the result.
FQ13

texcaliber

• Top Forum Member
  • "My best friends are Smith & Wesson"
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2009, 08:55:03 PM »
every person i know that intelligently chooses a 410 is to handicap themselves for a greater challenge of sport or game either fur or feathered.  ???
"All I need in life is Love and a .45!"

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2009, 09:29:44 PM »
AND powder TAB. Bushpilot may say clean kill or a miss, but he's wrong. There is option C, a bird that takes a pellet and dies later. I like .410 for clays and snakes, and even quail if you have the discipline to NOT take a shot that is in any way marginal, but its iffy for birds in a shotgun and silly for SD in a 4" barrel pistol. If we're talking shot guns with a 20" or so barrel (giving it adequate burn time), why not move to .20 gauge? Not much more recoil or weight and no question about the result.
FQ13

um you missed the point.  a piece of shot going XXXX fps does not care if its fired from a 10 ga or a 22 shot shell.    it still has the same speed and same energy.  So as I said, the only diffrence is the ammount of shot.

I use 410 all the time for upland game hunting. it kills things just as dead,you just have to know what your shot pattern is like and shoot acordingly.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2009, 07:17:18 PM »
My Grandfather's old Ward's Western Field bolt action .410, with 3" #7 shot leaves a hole slightly bigger than a beer can in 1/2" plywood. With a "smattering of pellets" around the primary impact at 15 yds.

Sure it's a football field long, and was designed for rabbit, squirrel, dove, but remove the threaded choke from the end of the barrel,
put a slug in it, and at 25 yds, will hit a target harder than a 45Colt. More than adequate for SD.

That's from a quirky, cheap .410 over 60 years old. Put it in a small easily mobile platform, and at SD distances will damn sure work. Is it my first choice? No, not really, but I don't think anyone is going to be threatening me anymore, if that's all I have time to grab and fire. If I cut 7 feet off the barrel, it would be a bad a** bolt action,,...but I'd get a Judge instead....

just my .02 cents.
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

tombogan03884

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2009, 07:39:15 PM »
TW, that was made by Mossberg I got one for my birthday in 1972  ;D
That's the cool thing about the old time "house brands" They were the same gun as the name brand just marked for the store that sold them. There are several references where you can find out who supplied what to which stores, one is in the back of the Numrich arms catalog.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 11:11:33 PM »

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2009, 08:04:45 PM »
Thanks Tom, The threaded choke is stamped Mossberg, right next to the set screw. I haven't shot the old girl in a few years, but did buy another box of Remington 3" shells before Christmas,...

In case those zombie squirrels come around,... 8)
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2009, 11:01:35 PM »
TW, that was made by Mossberg I got one for my birthday in 1972  ;D
That's the cool thing about the old time "house brands" They were the same gun as the name brand just marked for the store that sold them. There are several references where you can find out who supplied what to which stores, one is in the back of the Numrich arms catalog.

Yep....Like my b-i-l's Ted Williams shotgun that was sold through Sears back in the 70's I believe. It is a Winchester 1400, made for Sears, with the Ted Williams markings.

Same b-i-l has a SxS double in .410 with the rabbit ear hammers. Cool shooting little squirrel gun. I can't remember the maker off the top of my head.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Combat Diver

• De Oppresso Liber
  • Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2010, 12:58:57 AM »
Check out the ammo from Paraklese Technologies

www.paraklesetechnologies.com/products.asp?cat=13

CD
Iraq: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09,15 & 16' Afghanistan: 09,10,11,14 & 17'

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2010, 01:38:31 AM »
Look, the .410 is a toy. A very, very cool toy that I hope to someday own. I have had the opprotunity to shoot Parkers and L.C. Smiths in .410 and would love to add one to the stable. Still, for a go to hunting/SD round survey says no. A 20 gauge is just as light and much more effective. Whether its doves over a tank, or a BG in the living room, a 20 will out perform a .410 every day ending in a Y. Plus, the ammo is cheaper and more available. Save the .410 for the skeet range and quail hunts. Otherwise, use enough gun. Just my .02.
FQ13

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2010, 06:55:52 AM »
ericire12, isnt there buck below the discs?  That would seem a good idea and I'm sure Winchester tried a lot of different combos.

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk