Author Topic: .410  (Read 14952 times)

tombogan03884

Re: .410
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2010, 11:13:09 AM »
ericire12, isnt there buck below the discs?  That would seem a good idea and I'm sure Winchester tried a lot of different combos.

Richard

12 pellets of shot according to what MB said in the podcast, I do not recall him saying what SIZE  shot

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2010, 11:16:50 AM »
12 pellets of shot according to what MB said in the podcast, I do not recall him saying what SIZE  shot
Its 3 for buck in 2 3/4" and 5 in 3". I'm guessing #6 for MB's quote?
FQ13

Walter45Auto

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2010, 12:40:37 PM »
I thought he said it was BB shot below the discs. IIRC, that's a larger size birdshot.
"If You seek to do me harm, I don't care about your past." - Michael Bane

Michael Bane

• Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Host & Editor-in-chief
    • michaelBane.tv
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2010, 09:49:43 PM »
There are 12 BBs behind the 3 "Defense Discs" in the Winchester .410 PDX1 rounds. BB rounds are roughly...um...BB-sized. Here's a link to comparisons of shot sizes: http://www.chuckhawks.com/shot_info.htm

Winchester's engineers told me the plates would grab the shallow Judge rifling and come out of the barrel spinning like a regular slug, and that proves to be the case in the box and a half of ammo I shot. At about 5 yards the plates cut clean round holes, clustering into about 2 inches, with the BBs patterning around the plates.

The .410 isn't going to replace my 870 12-gauge in the bedroom, but it's possible that the 12-gauge PDX ammo (3 pellets of #00 on top of a 1 ounce slug) might find a place on the side carrier.

As for the Judge, it is a brilliant purpose-designed weapon, a gun for people who don't shoot guns a lot — and there are a lot of casual shooters out there. People like me and Pincus and Janich can rail about how everyone needs to shoot more all we want, but it doesn't change the reality.

And when we talk about attacks in the close-in "hot zone," I'd take a Judge with .410 with self-defense rounds over a snub revolver or pocket semi any day of the week. The closer the attacker is to me, the faster I want the attack to stop. As harsh as it might sound, a round like the .410 PDX1 in the face would, I suspect, end any attack. I also stand by the statement I made about the prototype Judge several years back (which ended up as the Taurus ad campaign) — the Judge may be the best anti-carjacking tool I've ever come across. A lot of lead in the air is better than not a lot of lead in the air...

Michael B
Michael Bane, Majordomo @ MichaelBane.TV

mike g

• Forum Member
  • Invisible souls.........leave .308 holes
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2010, 10:17:29 PM »
I bought an H&R Snake Tamer .410 about thirteen years ago,and it is by far the simplest shotgun I have for my family as a self defense firearm. I'll have to admit though my weapon of choice for self defese is the good'ol 12 gauge pump!
Life is the leading cause of death,anything else is a contributing factor!

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 01:08:56 AM »

Fatman

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2010, 05:45:33 PM »
Quick link to a video about the .410 PDX1 rounds:

http://www.americanrifleman.org/Video.aspx?vid=2123&cid=23

Note, the hull is - *gasp* - BLACK! Bad Winchester! Bad! Didn't the Black Talon media attack teach us anything?  ;D

I'm going to find some of this for my Judge.  I like the idea of buck and ball, err, disk.

And one with Michael:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOq9a8sAHfg
Anti: I think some of you gentleman would choose to apply a gun shaped remedy to any problem or potential problem that presented itself? Your reverance (sic) for firearms is maintained with an almost religious zeal. The mind boggles! it really does...

Me: Naw, we just apply a gun-shaped remedy to those extreme life threatening situations that call for it. All the less urgent problems we're willing to discuss.

Combat Diver

• De Oppresso Liber
  • Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2010, 09:17:41 AM »
Aren't BBs 4.5mm/.177 cal?

CD
Iraq: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09,15 & 16' Afghanistan: 09,10,11,14 & 17'

Walter45Auto

• Top Forum Member