Author Topic: Back up gun rack  (Read 9318 times)

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Back up gun rack
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2010, 10:39:20 AM »
Its the tangling that I see as the problem, plustrying to deploy one handed if someone comes into the bedroom. Iy just seems like pistol or even a shotgun resting tangle against the wall would be speedier.
FQ13
I have to go with FQ on this one....tangling. Right now our bed has a huge comforter on it that nearly reaches the floor on both sides. Getting to the gun would be like trying to draw from an IWB holster while wearing a long, closed up rain slicker. There are umpteen ways to get tangled up there.

Personally I keep a one handed gun within CLEAR reach....problem solved.

PS...sorry to hear you sleep alone, FQ.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2010, 10:52:40 AM »
I have to go with FQ on this one....tangling. Right now our bed has a huge comforter on it that nearly reaches the floor on both sides. Getting to the gun would be like trying to draw from an IWB holster while wearing a long, closed up rain slicker. There are umpteen ways to get tangled up there.

Personally I keep a one handed gun within CLEAR reach....problem solved.

PS...sorry to hear you sleep alone, FQ.

Keeps expenses down, plus now its cold by our standards (ice in the bid bath today) I let the dog on the bed. At least I can whack her with a rolled up newsppaper if she gets annoying. ;D
FQ13 who will probably continue to sleep alone if he doesn't stop making comments like that. ;D

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2010, 11:38:34 AM »

FQ13 who will probably continue to sleep alone if he doesn't stop making comments like that. ;D
Yeah, you're a real charmer.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

david86440

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2010, 02:24:37 PM »
Why a rack not the wall and why the shotgun if you're keeping it in said rack for quick deployment from concealment? If you are, why a not a handgun? This isn't a critique, just an honest questiion. I like to hear other peoples reasoning on stuff like this.
FQ13

I know you were not being critical FQ, I just didn't know what part you were questioning.

I'll try to explain my reasoning for hanging it on the side of the bed.

Without seeing my bed it is hard to explain and I'll try to take a picture of it after my camera battery gets charged.

I made the brackets that it mounts on so I didn't have to buy anything.

We do not have children living with us so that is not an issue.

1. I conceal carry so I do have whichever hand gun I carried that day with me in the bedroom at night.(G27, Para 1911 or M&P340)

2. I have gun safes but they are not located in the master bedroom wing of the house so if I needed access to a shotgun in an emergency it would have to already be in the bedroom. Not having a safe in the bedroom I needed a place to store it that would be out of sight, but easily accessible to me in a SHTF situation.

3. We do not have a "normal bed". The top overhangs the sides by about 6" and built out of 3/4" plywood. It has hinged cabinet style doors on my wife's side for access to underneath storage.

The gun is mounted under the overhang so it is not visible unless you get down on your hands and knees and look up under the mattress. Also blankets and sheets do not interfere with it because of the overhang. I can reach the gun from where I lay in bed and I've used the attached light as a "night" light more than once.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk