Author Topic: Alternating FMJ/JHP magazine load  (Read 11822 times)

1stCivDiv

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Alternating FMJ/JHP magazine load
« on: February 01, 2010, 08:10:19 PM »
I have been loading like this for several years and wanted to get some feedback.  Currently, I carry an XD40 Service and load the magazines alternating FMJ and JHP.  The premise being that I will not have the luxury of knowing whether I will have to take a straight up/no cover shot at an attacker or if I might have to shoot through a windshield or other cover to stop a fight.

Comments...

D Haught

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: Alternating FMJ/JHP magazine load
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 09:14:04 PM »
I can't see any advantage to that considering the type of ammo available commercially. The winchester FBI loads which I believe is marketed currently as the bonded PDX1 (someone correct me if I am wrong) is designed to pass FBI barrier penetration and expansion tests. Too much info to post here but you can do some googling and read about the FBI protocols. This ammo would certainly meet your desires for barrier penetration without using an alternating load that gives you no real control over actual penetration for the situation at hand.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 10:12:58 PM »
The only time I ever did this was when I briefly owned a kel-tec. It hiccuped occasionally on HP, but was flawless on FMJ. So I put an HP in the stack and loaded the mag FMJ. It occured to me that I would be better served by just getting a better gun,hence the G-26. Frankly, given that as a previous poster said, bonded HPs will do fine through barriers, and in an urban environment I'm more worried about over penetration than under penetration,I'd see no need for this. But hey, what ever works for you. Plus, you'll confuse the CSI guys. ;D
FQ13

JdePietro

• M14 Patterned Protagonist
  • Top Forum Member
  • "Neither Spare nor Dispose"
    • Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 10:39:59 PM »
JMHO take it for what its worth, but I think you could better serve your goals by carrying a spare mag with just FMJs if it is that much of a concern for you. 
How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live.
-Henry David Thoreau

Texas_Bryan

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 10:55:14 PM »
I have been loading like this for several years and wanted to get some feedback.  Currently, I carry an XD40 Service and load the magazines alternating FMJ and JHP.  The premise being that I will not have the luxury of knowing whether I will have to take a straight up/no cover shot at an attacker or if I might have to shoot through a windshield or other cover to stop a fight.

Comments...

If by alternating do you mean one after the other or half n' half?  Yes most LE use a Winchester product similar to PDX1 called Ranger, goes through car doors, windows, walls, same thing as PDX1 without the sexy nickel plated brass.  Honestly, I've never met a cop that was worried about over penetration, and I don't think they care, but they want the stopping power of JHP.  If your really concerned about it, I'd load scatter gun style, four or five JHP up front and ball bringing up the rear. :-\  If you have to shoot through cover that you suspect JHP won't make it through, cycle out the JHP or shoot it and you've got FMJ.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 04:05:29 PM »

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 11:23:42 PM »
If by alternating do you mean one after the other or half n' half?  Yes most LE use a Winchester product similar to PDX1 called Ranger, goes through car doors, windows, walls, same thing as PDX1 without the sexy nickel plated brass.  Honestly, I've never met a cop that was worried about over penetration, and I don't think they care, but they want the stopping power of JHP.  If your really concerned about it, I'd load scatter gun style, four or five JHP up front and ball bringing up the rear. :-\  If you have to shoot through cover that you suspect JHP won't make it through, cycle out the JHP or shoot it and you've got FMJ.
Reason cops don't care is that they have Soveriegn Immunity. You don't. If the shoot was justified, even if there was collateral damage, no personal lawsuit and no criminal liability. The department might take a hit and they may get fired, but thats it. Us not so much. I live in a crowded wanna-be city. Penetration is a big worry.
FQ13

Texas_Bryan

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 11:32:18 PM »
Reason cops don't care is that they have Soveriegn Immunity. You don't. If the shoot was justified, even if there was collateral damage, no personal lawsuit and no criminal liability. The department might take a hit and they may get fired, but thats it. Us not so much. I live in a crowded wanna-be city. Penetration is a big worry.
FQ13
Exactly.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 12:05:13 AM »
FQ13

I can't believe I'm siding with FQ as to the civilian part of the equation (even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while)...  ;)   ;D

Safe bet would be to check your state's laws. Not all states are the same. I would err on the side of caution, as FQ warns.

As an example on the laws:
When passing it's Castle Doctrine law, Georgia put in a new section disallowing criminal and civil liability if the shooting was justifiable.
HOWEVER, the law doesn't mention persons, other than the threats (innocent bystanders) who may have been affected. So as FQ stated, errant shot can/may/will have a lawyer attached unless your specific state went farther than Georgia.

2006: SB396 Stand Your Ground Law. Mirrors a law passed in Florida, ensuring that anyone who is attacked while behaving lawfully would have the right to “stand their ground” and defend himself or herself. The law authorizes deadly force if the attack could reasonably be considered life-threatening. If defending yourself as the law states, you are covered by both criminal and civil liability immunity.

SECTION 2.
Said article is further amended by striking in its entirety Code Section 16-3-24.2, relating to immunity from prosecution and exception, and inserting in lieu thereof the following:
"16-3-24.2.
A person who uses threats or force in accordance with Code Section 16-3-21, 16-3-23, 16-3-23.1, or 16-3-24 shall be immune from criminal prosecution therefor unless in the use of deadly force, such person utilizes a weapon the carrying or possession of which is unlawful by such person under Part 2 or 3 of Article 4 of Chapter 11 of this title."

SECTION 3.
Article 1 of Chapter 11 of Title 51 of the Official Code of Georgia Annotated, relating to general provisions relative to defense to tort actions, is amended by striking in its entirety Code Section 51-11-9, relating to immunity from civil liability for threat or use of force in defense of a habitation, and inserting in lieu thereof the following:
"51-11-9.
A person who is justified in threatening or using force against another under the provisions of Code Section 16-3-21, relating to the use of force in defense of self or others, Code Section 16-3-23, relating to the use of force in defense of a habitation, or Code Section 16-3-24, relating to the use of force in defense of property other than a habitation, has no duty to retreat from the use of such force and shall not be held liable to the person against whom the use of force was justified or to any person acting as an accomplice or assistant to such person in any civil action brought as a result of the threat or use of such force."

The above laws specify that criminal and civil liability immunity only applies to justifiable shootings where only the threat was hit. Basically if you hit anyone else with a stray shot, all bets are off....you will be in deep doo-doo.

Your laws may vary....so check.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

bulldog75

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 12:35:04 AM »
I do not agree with you FQ. Every police officer is liable when he shoots someone. Had officers sued when they shot a guy pointing a gun at them here recently. You are thinking of judges and they have absolute immunity. Prosecutors have limited immunity.

http://www.publicsafetyproject.org/docs/fei_immunity_c.pdf
Citizens sleep peacfully at night knowing that rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010, 12:40:55 AM »
I do not agree with you FQ. Every police officer is liable when he shoots someone. Had officers sued when they shot a guy pointing a gun at them here recently. You are thinking of judges and they have absolute immunity. Prosecutors have limited immunity.

http://www.publicsafetyproject.org/docs/fei_immunity_c.pdf
You know more about this than I do as an LEO. However, I do know that I can sue the County SO for lax training etc. I have a real hard time dragging a deputy into court. The principle being that he was acting under lawful guidelines from a competant authority even if he did miss and hit me by mistake. Yeah, I'll name him in the suit, but odds are good its going nowhere unless I can demonstrate gross negligence or a wilfull violation of department protocol.
FQ13

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk