Author Topic: Alternating FMJ/JHP magazine load  (Read 11823 times)

WIshooter

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Alternating FMJ/JHP magazine load
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2010, 12:42:44 AM »
I think when you talk about barrier penetration with ball ammo it is also worthy to note that it can tend to skid and deflect a bit easier than JHP.  When you have any types of angle to the surface JHP can bite and get better traction to punch through with less of the skidding effect.  
There are alot of variables involved, but in a general way I believe that JHP ammo is better at barrier penetration in this respect.
 I was able to do some shooting on an old car last year and was kind of amazed at what car glass can do to the path of a bullet.

bulldog75

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2010, 12:49:38 AM »
FQ You are right. The officers was sued and so was the department. The insurance agency settled out of court. $350,000 pay out was less than sitting in court and winning the civil case that was going to cost the insurance agency $500,000 or so they say. Judges are the only ones that cannot be sued. That is why they can set a low bail amount and if the person gets out and then kills someone oh well. If the officer does not arrest (domestic violence a lot of times) and someone gets hurt or killed, expect to loose everything you have.
Citizens sleep peacfully at night knowing that rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell

tombogan03884

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2010, 02:30:44 AM »
FQ You are right. The officers was sued and so was the department. The insurance agency settled out of court. $350,000 pay out was less than sitting in court and winning the civil case that was going to cost the insurance agency $500,000 or so they say. Judges are the only ones that cannot be sued. That is why they can set a low bail amount and if the person gets out and then kills someone oh well. If the officer does not arrest (domestic violence a lot of times) and someone gets hurt or killed, expect to loose everything you have.

That has happened in a couple of DWI fatalities up here, Cop pulled some one over but gave them a break and told them to go home accident 10 miles later and the Cop got sued.

JSC3ATLCSO

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2010, 09:50:16 AM »
That has happened in a couple of DWI fatalities up here, Cop pulled some one over but gave them a break and told them to go home accident 10 miles later and the Cop got sued.

And people hate cops for not being good ole boys anymore and giving breaks.  Hmmm wonder why?

bbbean

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2010, 01:28:04 PM »
I have been loading like this for several years and wanted to get some feedback.  Currently, I carry an XD40 Service and load the magazines alternating FMJ and JHP.  The premise being that I will not have the luxury of knowing whether I will have to take a straight up/no cover shot at an attacker or if I might have to shoot through a windshield or other cover to stop a fight.

Comments...

I don't see any advantage to this. I can see, however, an increased chance of a misfeed with alternating rounds. I found a defensive load that feeds reliably in my gun, expands well, and is just as effective as a FMJ if it doesn't expand. I can't see ny need to alternate between that load and anything else.
--
Barry Bean
Fastest of the slow shooters, best of the bad shots

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 03:20:47 AM »

1stCivDiv

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2010, 01:57:24 PM »
Thanks to all!  The overpenetration issue is something that I had not thought about but should have.  The advances made in JHP has made these loads much more effective and versatile than ever before.

I have never had a problem with stoppages due to the alternating rounds but could see where that could be a problem with a gun that played favorites.

You just made reloading my magazines a lot easier!!!

Thanks again!

2HOW

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2010, 02:11:39 PM »
I keep a FMJ as my second round just in case. So I know I will at least get off 2 rounds. Other than that I don't see any advantage. Plenty of people carry ball ammo, IMO the results and worries about over penetration are greatly exaggerated.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2010, 06:03:49 PM »
I keep a FMJ as my second round just in case. So I know I will at least get off 2 rounds. Other than that I don't see any advantage. Plenty of people carry ball ammo, IMO the results and worries about over penetration are greatly exaggerated.

Murphy is a SOB.  If your luck is anything like mine, you will shoot once, have it pass right thru the BG and hit 5 other people and then detroy a priceless stained glass window.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

warhawke

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2010, 12:23:26 PM »
I had a friend who used to do this and it took me a while to convince him not to, and in fact he loaded, FMJ, Soft-points and JHP's. Putting different types of ammo in the same magazine significantly increases the chance of a malfunction due to the differences in velocity and feeding. Likewise, you will NOT have the round type you need for a specific shot when you need it due to the Demon Murphy.

I suggest you find a good brand of JHP's that handle intermediate barriers well and still expands well in tissue (I use golden Sabers myself) and stop worrying. Too many of us fall into the trap of expecting our pistols can be turned into death-rays if we just find the right ammo when the reality is that all handguns suck and we only carry them because a rifle is too hard to conceal. If you accept this reality and learn to embrace and overcome the limitations of the handgun you will be far better off.
"Una salus victus nullam sperare salutem"
(The one hope of the doomed is not to hope for safety)
Virgil

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 877
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2010, 02:28:16 PM »
My thoughts ... and take them for what you paid for them:

If you are concerned about a barrier of any type causing projectile problems, or one type of projectile not being reliable in your gun - Don't use it at all!  Your self defense weapon MUST be 100% reliable at all times!

From all the tests I have seen and literature I have read the only bullet that will not give you a concern with over penetration is a frangible.  We need to worry about "pass through" in all our self defense situations, because if we are shooting further than 21 feet we are stretching the reality of "needing to shoot."
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk