Author Topic: A word (no, several) about night sights, lasers and other sighting aids....  (Read 9773 times)

fullautovalmet76

I was shooting in the FL IDPA championship this weekend on a stage that was completely blacked out. The only light available to me was a flashlight, which by IDPA rules could not be mounted on the gun. I got my hits (-5 over 8 targets) but was way too slow, just too much fumbling with the light. But I do have some observations about that exercise as it relates to choosing/using night sights, laser grips, etc.

Without a light, night sights or laser grips really are not doing anything for you. The scenario I was in was completely blacked out- no ambient light at all. As I approached the targets (shooting through portals and pieing corners), I would light them up and my sights were available. I tried that without a light but had grips or night sights, I would have been literally shooting in the dark with no real clue where my targets where until muzzle flash lit them up.

I also remember shooting in similar conditions with my S&W 649 with CT laser grips. I noticed that on a poorly lit (95% blacked out) target the laser was not very useful to me; again with a light the laser would have been much more helpful.

The only option I can think of that would help more than what I mentioned above, but still would need a light, is a slide mounted red dot. And I would be remiss if I did not mention, that I don't practice enough (like not at all) with a light and that I should practice with one.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not peeing on your favorite night sights or laser grips but I think it's important to understand they have some functional limitations one should be aware of.....

A couple of notes:
I was shooting a Glock 19 with FO front sight and plain Warren rear sight.
I had a Surefire flashlight

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
FA technique, is everything when combining a light with a handgun or long gun, no magic combo, even when using a laser, you need to see the target ( threat ) sights and properly apply the trig. Practice with different holds as far as the lighting system go's.
Many to choose from, but now you have used at least one system and found it wanting.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

fullautovalmet76

FA technique, is everything when combining a light with a handgun or long gun, no magic combo, even when using a laser, you need to see the target ( threat ) sights and properly apply the trig. Practice with different holds as far as the lighting system go's.
Many to choose from, but now you have used at least one system and found it wanting.

I almost forgot to mention that I had a slide lock reload to perform too- that was fun!

scott.ballard

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Think+Plan+Train = Survive
  • Liked:
I've had really good luck with the Combat Ring made by SureFire.  I'm able to use multiple holds, strobe it intermittently,  as well as get the light away from me when I'm scanning a room.

The best part to me is that it hooks onto my finger and when I need to reload, or clear a malfunction, all I have to do it flip it over to the back of my hand.  It's a relatively cheap solution for a light that most of us already have.

I think we all need more practice with low and no light situations.  Unfortunately it is very difficult to find a range which will let you shoot after dark.

Scott

There exists a law, not written down anywhere but inborn in our hearts; a law which comes to us not by training or custom or reading but by derivation and absorption and adoption from nature itself; a law which has come to us not from theory but from practice, not by instruction but by natural intuition. I refer to the law which lays it down that, if our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies, any and every method of protecting ourselves is morally right.

Rob Pincus

• CO-HOST ON BEST DEFENSE
  • Top Forum Member
    • I.C.E. Training Company
  • Liked:
The good news is that the scenario was pretty extreme. The likelihood of actual pitch darkness is not very high... and, of course, you need some light before you can identify threats and the threat needs some light to find you...  Be careful about over thinking responses for contrived scenarios that aren't really plausible.

-RJP

Sponsor

2HOW

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
This crap about lasers and all the other non iron site SH   it has been done and redone. Time to leave it alone.  ::)
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

fullautovalmet76

The good news is that the scenario was pretty extreme. The likelihood of actual pitch darkness is not very high... and, of course, you need some light before you can identify threats and the threat needs some light to find you...  Be careful about over thinking responses for contrived scenarios that aren't really plausible.

-RJP

But Rob wasn't it you who said, "the exception to your training should be easier than you train"?  ;) I do get your point though, I'm just relating an experience that kind of goes against the conventional wisdom about night sights and lasers.

fullautovalmet76

This crap about lasers and all the other non iron site SH   it has been done and redone. Time to leave it alone.  ::)

Unless I'm taking your comment the wrong way, I'll just say "whatever"......

Rob Pincus

• CO-HOST ON BEST DEFENSE
  • Top Forum Member
    • I.C.E. Training Company
  • Liked:
Yeah, FA... that is absolutely one of our training principles... but it has go hand in hand with the Plausibility Principle or you end up training for fighting against 30 zombies with only a butter knife and one eye.  ;)

You're right about the conventional wisdom issues, but 2How is also kinda right about how people probably worry more about this than they need to. There is a world of difference between "most bad things happen after sunset" and the "if you don't have well rehearsed tactics and techniques involving lights you're going to be unable to defend yourself!" shenanigans.

-RJP

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
FA
I have no credentials to back me up here. Just one principle and one concern. The principle is: If you can see your target and see your sights you're good. The concern is this. Most of us don't have carry pieces with lights. That means juggling a light in the weak hand. Lights are good, guns are better. If I have to deal with a lights out scenario, I'd rather rely on night vision (I live in suburbia where there is always an ambient glow, and in my house there are some small wattage lights lit), than worry over much about juggling a flashlight. Its something I should practice more, but in So. Fl., low light, as opposed to no light, is far more likely.
FQ13

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk