Author Topic: Akido Vs. Krav Maga  (Read 14455 times)

SwoopSJ

• November 12, 1978 - November 2, 2011
  • DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Love thy neighbor.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Akido Vs. Krav Maga
« on: April 01, 2010, 04:40:52 AM »
I have read several postings related to self defense styles on this forum and gather that Krav Maga is the superior style for defensive situations.  However, the closest training facility is about an hour and half away from me, while the closest Akido instructor is literally 5 minutes away.  I'm not really interested in becoming a "human weapon", I would just like to be better trained for the extremely rare occasion in which I'm unable to carry my sidearm or, God forbid, I lose my weapon or it's rendered inoperable.  I'm a fairly large mammal, which, in my experience, acts as a deterrent against most unarmed attacks by individuals, unless, of course, the individual is a bigger bear.    ;D  The most likely, realistic, threat to the safety of myself and those around me would then be armed (or intoxicated) individuals or groups.  Considering my needs, would it really be worth the 3 hours round trip to study Krav Maga, or would the local Akido instruction suite my requirement adequately? 

Swoop

"...to preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them..."  --Richard H. Lee

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: Akido Vs. Krav Maga
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 04:46:27 AM »
How far is your local boxing gym? If you are a "large mammal" a good right hook and a quick combo follow up might be what the doctor ordered. Just a thought.
FQ13 who thinks people tend to fetishize the Easter Arts, and yes if you master them they give you a bigger tool box, but the ability to deliver several powerful rapid blows, which boxing will teach you, combined with a little street fighting training is not to be sneezed at. just my .02.

saltydogbk

• Better to die on my feet than live on my knees
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 06:35:25 AM »
Just like a Ruger LCP in the pocket is better than a Kimber 45 at home, any empty hand technique is better than none.  As long as they have a realistic self-defence program, you will learn and start to understand what works and what does not.  I like a dojo that trains not only for the "here it comes" self-defence, but also for that explosive "where the hell did that come from" attack.
You can never have too many guns, or too much ammo

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 83
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 06:47:21 AM »
How far is your local boxing gym? If you are a "large mammal" a good right hook and a quick combo follow up might be what the doctor ordered. Just a thought.
FQ13 who thinks people tend to fetishize the Easter Arts, and yes if you master them they give you a bigger tool box, but the ability to deliver several powerful rapid blows, which boxing will teach you, combined with a little street fighting training is not to be sneezed at. just my .02.

That would include Easter egg coloring, Easter basket displays, and Easter lily arrangements, right? Did I miss anything?

BTTT - Aikido is a sport based on a martial art, as is boxing, Queensberry rules and all that. Krav maga is a down and dirty fighting style in which you will get hurt but will teach to hurt your opponent more. Do the math.

OTOH, having spent some time in a dojo, I have found aikido valuable in a lot of respects, not the least of which is redirecting attacks and the ability to put someone down in pain - and keep them there. As a martial art, though, I think aikido (as conceived, not the Steven Seagal stuff which is more of a blend) fails in that it is intended to be "gentle". O'Sensei (the founder) once fought a Japanese Naval officer armed with a sword for 8 hours - and never laid a hand on the guy. The officer gave up in complete exhaustion.

In a life or death fight, I would suggest anything that allows you to do what you have to do to survive, like krav maga.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 06:51:38 AM »
Just like a Ruger LCP in the pocket is better than a Kimber 45 at home, any empty hand technique is better than none.  As long as they have a realistic self-defence program, you will learn and start to understand what works and what does not.  I like a dojo that trains not only for the "here it comes" self-defence, but also for that explosive "where the hell did that come from" attack.
Let me add, from my very, very limited martial arts training (a few years of Karate as a kid and a few more in college) was this, how to take a punch or kick and fight through the pain and shock. I don't care what style it is, getting punched in the snout or flipped on your butt and coming up swinging is probably lesson one. I could be wrong here, but that was what I took away more than anything else. Probably just worth .01, but its what I've got.
FQ13

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 08:35:01 PM »

Michael Janich

• CO-HOST ON BEST DEFENSE
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 08:30:48 AM »
I strongly recommend that you check out everything that's available in your area, talk to the instructors and students, explain your focus on self-defense, and then choose something you find appropriate for your needs.

In general, Krav Maga is a striking art while aikido emphasizes joint locks and throws. However, really good, combative aikido (there are many different flavors) includes atemi (striking) and comes closer to its parent art, aiki-jitsu. Really bad Krav Maga (there are many flavors ofit as well) is more like kick boxing and, in some cases, teaches techniques that are inadequate and in appropriate for serious attacks (i.e. attacker thrusts with a knife--you block and punch him in the face).

If you can't find any good instruction in yyour area, consider starting a study/training group and work with some good videos on combatives, like Kelly McCann's "Jim Grover's Combatives Series" http://www.staysafemedia.com/product.php?proid=15&sub_catid=4&page=JIM GROVER or, if you like what you've seen of the unarmed tactics I've shown on The Best Defense, my combatives DVDs http://www.staysafemedia.com/product.php?proid=81&sub_catid=4&page=PRACTICAL UNARMED COMBATIVES VOLUME 1. Good information, a training partner, and a pair of Thai pads is all you really need to get started.

Stay safe,

Mike

SwoopSJ

• November 12, 1978 - November 2, 2011
  • DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Love thy neighbor.
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 10:18:23 AM »
Thanks for the input, guys.  I do have access to boxing facilities in my area, but they are mostly utilized by either very young or serious boxers and I fall into neither group.  There were, at one time, several options for martial arts training in my area.  Sadly, those choices have dwindled to the already mentioned Akido and a small selection of Tae Kwon Do, Karate, and Kung Fu.  I'm really not very familiar with the training offered by the Akido dojo, but I have heard good things about it (frequented by some of the local LEOs). The Krav Maga facility is fully licensed and certified by Krav Maga Worldwide and the Krav Maga Association of America, Inc., if that really means anything.  In response to Mr. Janich's suggestion of using videos, I would love to utilize his techniques and plan on doing just that after I have a base to build upon.  I feel, at this point, I would benefit more from having an instructor present, though, even if the instruction isn't equal to his.  Thank you all, once again, and any further advice would be greatly appreciated.

Swoop

"...to preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them..."  --Richard H. Lee

seeker_two

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 07:57:26 AM »

FQ13 who thinks people tend to fetishize the Easter Arts......

Is that like a sexy Easter Bunny in handcuffs or something?.....  :-\
Why, yes....I'm the right-wing extremist Obama warned you about... ;D

I just wish Texas was as free and independent as everyone thinks it is...   :'(

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 08:05:58 AM »
Is that like a sexy Easter Bunny in handcuffs or something?.....  :-\
Angelina Jolie in a fifties style playboy bunny outfit with a riding crop maybe. Other wise, not so much. ;D
FQ13
PS Rob, this isn't thread drift, the riding crop would be tactical, very, very tactical. ;D ;D ;D

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 01:08:57 PM »
99% of the akido taught in the US is bullshido.  Thats not to say it does not have good things in it, as it does( the wrist locks for example, which most LEOs do use).  If your looking for a real sd class, I'd look else where.

I've been working next to a local akido place, I've watched several of the class, coming from some one that has wrestling/ judo background.  I really doubt if they would be able to defend against a 6 year old girl with a wet noodle using akido.  The ukes are litterly jumping when they are throw and its not for them to prevent injury...   ::) 
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk