Author Topic: Akido Vs. Krav Maga  (Read 14453 times)

12 Levi

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Akido Vs. Krav Maga
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2010, 11:58:20 PM »
Alot of krag magav, Is eye gouges, Now that's cool. But I allways felt that in a real fight that would come natural. And theres no real way to train since just twice would leave the instructer with no eyes.   Now true akido, Judo ,  the lethal strikes of snake kung fu, Combat sambo and Systema. Now sunglasses and eye glaasses face shields all block eye gouges. So a combat system that works on armoured oponents. With multiple moves is preffered.  Now that's not to say you shouldn't learn krag magav. Just that it shouldn't be your only pick.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2010, 01:29:04 AM »
Combat sambo would be a very good choice, but those clubs are very hard to find.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

12 Levi

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2010, 01:06:30 PM »
Well, iI don't know where he lives. And said he sounded like he would travel a considerabel distance. For what we thought was the best. "since he didn't know I named a few good ones that might be close".

dog analog

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2010, 10:45:25 PM »
How far is your local boxing gym? If you are a "large mammal" a good right hook and a quick combo follow up might be what the doctor ordered. Just a thought.

I know this is an older thread, but I just joined the forum and it addresses the question I have.
I have no background in martial arts, and I've incorporated heavy bag and double end bag into my workout routine.
I"m interested in boxing as a means to fitness. There is a gym locally that offers a 4 week course on boxing basics.
I was thinking I'd enroll just to get an assesment of the mechanics of my punches, obviously to be effective and also so as not to injure myself.

I appreciate the spiritual side of learning, training, applying technique.
I would like to take some sort of self defense course, I've been wondering about Krav Maga or Akido.
Basically I want to be able to save my ass in an emergency.

Assuming I develop a decent application of boxing skills, what do you suggest as another discipline ?
I mean, I"d like to acquire defense skills quickly, but I'd also like to grow. Would starting out
in Krav Maga be a hinderance to other training - and is there something more appropriate for me than
either of these ? 

( I know answers will be opinions, and there is no 'right' method, so please, feel free to tell my your biased opinions)
Thanks

Woody

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2010, 09:55:31 PM »
Akido has worked for a lot longer. Use their force, Luke.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 03:08:40 PM »

12 Levi

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2010, 11:01:31 PM »
Akido has worked for a lot longer. Use their force, Luke.

You know Ive always liked systema if you have any questions fill free to ask. I'll come up with more info later.

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2010, 09:04:08 PM »
Uh, Akido,...Vs. Maga?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bu7aauJuQHY&feature=related

And he has a vast collection of 1911's that he can marksman hit with. ;)

Yes Krav Maga, is more street tactics, and be attuned to more reality based unorthodox attacks. Both are formidable, and for any, with someone with training, be a bad freakin' day.

Akido, just throws/flips you and breaks appendages along the way. Krav Maga, disarms, disables, and debilitates.

Study, and I agree,,,,use the force...(carrying a M+P .40) can also help.... 8)

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

12 Levi

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2010, 01:55:04 PM »
Uh, Akido,...Vs. Maga?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bu7aauJuQHY&feature=related

And he has a vast collection of 1911's that he can marksman hit with. ;)

Yes Krav Maga, is more street tactics, and be attuned to more reality based unorthodox attacks. Both are formidable, and for any, with someone with training, be a bad freakin' day.

Akido, just throws/flips you and breaks appendages along the way. Krav Maga, disarms, disables, and debilitates.

Study, and I agree,,,,use the force...(carrying a M+P .40) can also help.... 8)

http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/Krav.html#krav-maga

riss61

• Forum Member
    • Graplryz - grappling martial arts and self defense
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2010, 10:23:30 AM »
What you train is often less important how you train it. Any art, no matter how great people think it is, trained like garbage, isn't going to do you much good. I've seen lots of success with the internet-maligned Aikido, of course I think our school doea a great job of training it.

Here's what I look for:
1. A technical foundation that underpins and supports technical development. What does that mean? I have afundamental set of principles that apply across sitations and applications.
2. Training to deal with failed technique. If I'm attacked and attempt a technique, and that technique fails, I need to have a response to that failure, and that failure and that failure.
3. Randomized and resistive training. This usually goes by the name randori or sparring. Some people seem to think this requires full-bore max-power fight simulation. There are gradations and variations, but the key is having some structure where I can attempt my techniques without foreknowlede of the threat and against someone who's trying to stop my attempts.

I also look for other things, like safety, and a structured ciriculm of development. For the sole discussion of "effectiveness" however, those three things are what I evaluate.

mudge

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2010, 08:36:00 PM »
I've never done Aikido, but I've done Kenpo, and also Krav.  Krav is very direct.  It works the outside line (no forearm blocks, but sweeps, and always working to the outside and flanking opponent).  I suppose you could say that because of the sweeps and the defensive physics, it resembles Aikido and is to that degree "soft."   Krav trains a lot of footwork, like boxiing, but it uses open palm strikes (not palm heel, but a slap) and hammer fist. Elbows in Krav are devastating. There is some very subtle grappling, particularly in knife defense moves, and lots of ways to get out of headlocks, chokes, arm grabs, etc.  There are a lot of effective anti rape strategies for women.

It's not tradition heavy, like Aikido, and students train in sneakers.  The kicks are mostly like muay thai.  I like it.  Unfortunately, I've had to stop training for a while because of an ankle injury.  I think people learn more faster in Krav than any other form.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk