Author Topic: 12 gauge home defense/tatical shotgun  (Read 9679 times)

mydogtaz

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
12 gauge home defense/tatical shotgun
« on: April 14, 2010, 12:30:39 AM »
my question or curiosity is this.. a pistol grip or standard stock shotgun better for home defense??? what about accuracy??? 8)
opinions please,rob,yours too if you are viewng.thanks..........

tombogan03884

Re: 12 gauge home defense/tatical shotgun
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 01:21:34 AM »
Pistol grip is shorter and easier to maneuver indoors but with a standard stock you can lock it between your arm and side keeping one hand one the grip while using the other to open or close doors or anything else that may be needed.
I have had both and got rid of them in favor of a Knoxx recoil absorbing stock, I got the one that has the collapsible stock like an AR, it fits me perfectly though I have not had a  chance to shoot it yet.

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 07:41:26 PM »
I too use the Ar15 style 6 position stock on a Remi 870, with 20'' cylinder bore barrel with rifle sights, the sights are mepro light tritiums, and a surefire forend ( weapons light ) 7 rd tube. It shoots very well at defense distance, 18 yrd and under. A side saddle to hold extra and different rounds like 2 slugs, for when distances increase or there is a harder cover to penetrate.

Looks like this:
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

mrmatt2you

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 08:07:38 PM »
Has anyone ever thought of a .410 for home defense.  I saw one that I think it was GunTests talked about.  Said it had very little recoil with the bird or buckshot(not really sure they call it buckshot in .410 but that is the only word that I can come up with).   It did not have a butt stock, it was like a cut down shotgun(legal).   So it had the pistol grip and said it would be good for the spouse who is not use to recoil to operate, plus you get the racking of the gun like a regular shotgun. 
Just another option out there.  The price was right too.  Under $400 if I remember.

Walter45Auto

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 11:23:21 PM »
The Mossberg HS410 (HS for Home Security) was marketed as a home defense gun for smaller framed and unfamiliar shooters. I dunno if it's still made, but it was basically a .410 Mossberg 500 with a muzzle brake on it. I wouldn't have an unfamiliar shooter defend the house with a pistol gripped shotgun. They're harder to hit with.
"If You seek to do me harm, I don't care about your past." - Michael Bane

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:31:00 PM »

bulldog75

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 07:34:01 PM »
http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=22&section=products

Saw one in a gun shop and they are small and the first thing after I thought of getting one for the kids was home defense.
Citizens sleep peacfully at night knowing that rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 08:04:51 PM »
.410 not in a Judge,....for SD,... yes, of course it would work. But there are options, the Rem and Mossberg 20g. or the new lighter recoil 12g.

This was posted before, but pistol grips are good for healthy hands, and strong arms, those with weaker, smaller hands, or have health issues benefit from even a coach's gun. Short, but still the support of a shoulder stock. and can always be fired from the hip if necessary. Recoil, and an "unorthodox" shooting stance can leave you in a lurch shooting with a pistol grip. Great for Tac teams sweeping a house, but for SD consider all options.

The 12g/20g, is also fantastic, for your "last stand/safe room" line of defense. Those that call 911, and as MB and Rob preach, draw your line in the sand, i.e. bedroom, kids room, it is without question suitable.

In that scenario, a traditional stock is more stable, controllable, and less felt recoil, in case more shots are needed.

Just my .02 cents.

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

WatchManUSA

• NRA Life Member - Join the NRA!
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 10:50:59 PM »
I too use the Ar15 style 6 position stock on a Remi 870, with 20'' cylinder bore barrel with rifle sights, the sights are mepro light tritiums, and a surefire forend ( weapons light ) 7 rd tube. It shoots very well at defense distance, 18 yrd and under. A side saddle to hold extra and different rounds like 2 slugs, for when distances increase or there is a harder cover to penetrate.

Looks like this:

Very nice..!
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies." (Groucho Marx)

seeker_two

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 07:34:51 AM »

This was posted before, but pistol grips are good for healthy hands, and strong arms, those with weaker, smaller hands, or have health issues benefit from even a coach's gun. Short, but still the support of a shoulder stock. and can always be fired from the hip if necessary.

Agreed. If you need a short OAL shotgun (& don't want to play w/ the NFA paperwork), then a coach gun is a great option. I have a Stoeger Coach Gun  12ga. as my HD shotgun....handy and powerful....

Just say NO to pistol-grip-only SGN's....
Why, yes....I'm the right-wing extremist Obama warned you about... ;D

I just wish Texas was as free and independent as everyone thinks it is...   :'(

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2010, 07:50:07 AM »
Its true. You can do whatever you want to the stock's dimensons, just not the barrel's. 6 position AR-style, or a wood saw and a rubber recoil pad, whatever works.
FQ13

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk