Author Topic: Advice on what to get on a budget  (Read 6922 times)

PEOM

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Advice on what to get on a budget
« on: May 25, 2010, 11:02:25 PM »
I apologize, but this question will be long winded.

With Father’s Day coming up, I was told by my lovely wife to look at the local gun store for a present that was within reason. I also have around $150 that I have been saving up, likely for a crimson trace laser sight for a P3AT. Now comes the question “What to buy?” I have this post under “Defense and Tactic” because although I enjoy recreational target shooting, I am looking at the practical defense side/training application. I have an inexpensive .22 semi auto target pistol that I shoot a lot, so I would like to be able to use other pistols for defense as well as I use my target pistol. Here are some possible choices:

1.   Crimson Trace Laser Sight for P3AT. Increases the overall usefulness of a carry almost anywhere gun. Better hit on     target is a good thing for a mouse gun. (price approximately $190)

2.   Conversion kit (.22 cal) for a Glock 23 (.40 cal) 1990’s era. I don’t seem to shoot this pistol that well. I have scored better shooting other later era Glock 23. So I was wondering if the grip, which seems a little large for my hands, could be improved by shooting more frequently, and so the .22 conversion would make that more economical. The main question for trainers like Mr. Pincus, is a .22 conversion going to help getting better shooting this pistol?  (approximately $200)

3.   A heritage arms .22 single action revolver. Might be something me and my kid can shoot at the range together. (approximately $230)

4.   Local gun shop has one Taurus 24/7 OSS in .40 on sale for $399.99. A bit above the budget, and might try the patience of those in the house hold a bit, but could be my gift for several occasions. Is it worth it though? I like the grip better than the Glock, nice single and double action trigger. But since I have not shot it, will I do any better with it than the Glock. A friend has mentioned his impression of .40 is that it seems to have some torque in the pistol when you fire it and it might not be a grip problem. (see my choice two question) Or do I jus need to suck it up and practice more with what I have.

Any ideas or input? I appreciate the advice, especially from the trainers on grip issues, .40 cal being a problem, or conversion kit use.

Oh, btw training classes are out. $500 classes plus $300 in ammo plus room and travel is way over the budget.

Thanks,
PEOM

garand4life

• Top Forum Member
    • My Blog
  • Liked:
Re: Advice on what to get on a budget
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 12:03:21 AM »
Just some thoughts: When it comes to training, the equipment is always secondary to the skills you acquire in how to implement your tools. So, I would say even though there are costs involved get some training. Even if its just taking a NRA Protection in/outside the home course. It's a start.
Second, .40 S&W does have a stouter muzzle flip/recoil compared to the 9mm and even .45ACP. That is the main reason I switched to 9mm in my SD carry guns. My right wrist just could not take the abuse combined with the other work related damage I have in my right arm/wrist. So you might want to keep that in mind. I would say that typically the Glock grip is a bit wider being that is uses double stack magazines. But, the 24/7 (which I really like by the way) isn't going to be much different. I have been fortunate to get the opportunity to shoot several variants of the 24/7, including the OSS and I love them. Especially with the OSS have the double/single action and the ability to decock. I just like that setup, mainly cause I like HKs and SIGs which use similar trigger setups. But the ability to carry an OSS cocked and locked in single action is another awesome option.
I typically like 22 conversion units, but in terms of true practice for self defense they have serious draw backs. While they allow you to practice the battery of arms for your carry gun they do not allow you to practice controlling the gun under recoil. This limits your time practicing getting the gun back on target and trains your body to respond differently, in essence training your body to expect a .22s recoil when a .40 or 9mm is what is actually generated. However the conversion unit allows you to practice the fundamental skills of trigger control for hours on end for cheap. So pluses and minuses on this one.
You can't go wrong with putting a laser on a carry gun, plain and simple so that is a good idea no matter how you slice it.
Same with getting a Single Action 22 revolver for fun with the kids.

Just my thoughts.
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
"If you know your enemy is bringing a gun to the fight, bring 2..."
http://www.youtube.com/natetinstman  -
Save $10 on your NRA membership by going to http://garand4life.wordpress.com

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 09:45:56 AM »
If the grip on your 23 feel oversized, you might want to consider a grip reduction.

Several are discussed in this thread and some might be in your price range.

http://www.downrange.tv/forum/index.php?topic=11862.0
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

tombogan03884

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 11:04:13 AM »
Get the Heritage arms revolver, The time with your Kid will be worth it.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 11:31:56 AM »
Sounds like you have two good guns with the Glock and the P3-at. Me, I'd either spend some range time (using that $150) with the Glock, or if it just won't work, trade it down to a 9. You should be able to get a used g-19 or M@P at about the break even point or close as the .40 is trendier. Also a good used snubbie in .38 or .357 should be around for the $350-$425 that G-23 should be worth. As for the .22?  Maybe a rifle. You can get a nice used .22 bolt for well under $150 and its a good safe platform to learn shooting skills on. Depending on their ages, youth models are even cheaper.
FQ13 

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 03:00:27 AM »

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 11:46:54 AM »
I love my Armalaser, and they can be had for your P3AT for $100. You should give them a serious look.... full reveiw here:

http://www.downrange.tv/forum/index.php?topic=12006.0
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

CJS3

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2010, 10:15:47 AM »
Get the Heritage arms revolver, The time with your Kid will be worth it.
A BIG+1.
Bought one about 20 years ago. My oldest son just turned 30 and he still talks about the range time together.
Children, pets, and slaves are taken care of. Free Men take care of themselves.

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 12:08:38 PM »
I like the ideal of the laser for your everyday gun. But have you thought about a 9mm conversion for your 23, these do work by the way.

http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=983&CAT=241
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

Ulmus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
    • Gunslinger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2010, 12:56:37 PM »
I wouldn't use it as a defensive gun, but the Heritage Rough Rider is my choice.  The hammer block safety is great for teaching kids on.  The feel is fantastic, and because its a revolver you never have to worry about failures to fire from light hammer strikes.  (Heck, I even fire off "dud" rounds found at the range.)

Plus, it'll make for a great highschool graduation gift for your son in the future.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2010, 01:33:16 PM »
I like the ideal of the laser for your everyday gun. But have you thought about a 9mm conversion for your 23, these do work by the way.

http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=983&CAT=241
A bit of thread drift, but I have a question for operator. For an SD gun, would you trust the conversion kit? Not an argument, just a question. Right now, I would tend to trade "down" to a gen 1 or gen 2 G-19, which I prefer anyway. I jut wanted your .02.
FQ13

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk