Author Topic: "Accessory" identification segregation and preparation  (Read 8809 times)

nosimij

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
"Accessory" identification segregation and preparation
« on: September 04, 2011, 10:09:29 AM »
My gun safe is starting to get crowded and I am trying to work out a way to quickly identify what “accessories” go with what.  I had a plan before I started to gather "accessories".  By accessories I am referring to barrels, magazines, lights and bolts (I pull the bolts out of my bolt action rifles for locking them).  Now that I see what are on the plans to add to the safe I see that a simple color code by ammunition is not enough.  What do you do to ensure that you never get to the range or bug out and find that you have the wrong…?  If you need a better example watch the 80s comedy “The Survivors” “I’ve got the wrong bullets”. 

I remember an episode of shooting gallery where Michel Bane showed the content of his safe, or at least some of his hand gun collection, this drove home the question “How does he keep the mags separated?” 

My family is getting into shooting but I still set up most trips to the field or range, but I need to do something to eliminate the confusion.  If they were thrust into a situation where they had to lock down the house and go to ground when I am at work, which could be abroad.  I know that my wife knows that buck shot and rifled slugs need a smooth bore barrel.  She I am sure can tell the difference between smooth bore and rifled, but I doubt that she can tell the difference between barrels for Remington 870 and Winchester 1300.  I am sure that she could find the “kits” that we have put together for the bolt guns and identify hers, since it is the only kit that also contains magazines and is left handed.  Even that will be a stress adder that she does not need.  The system we have in place will allow her or the children, I am sure, to get the right ammunition at the least.

Current system which is not supported with available off the shelf storage solutions.
1)   All long guns have a “safe sling” that is color coded to the ammo cans that contain that ammunition.  All 12 gauges have one color.   The 20 Gauge is easily identified by a different color.  .22 has a third color.  45, 9mm and .223 all have colors assigned.  I even have a color for non stock items in case I buy that 7.69x54r one day. 
2)   Ammo cans are painted to match these colors. 
3)   Hand guns we are making cases that look like Civil War flap holsters out of towels of the corresponding color to the ammunition.  Unless you want Black, Tan, you name it camo pattern or Pink you are out of luck.
4)   Accessory packs are made from whatever case we can find or scrounge, thank you united business class for small blue and silver zippered pouches.
5)   Barrels NOTHING. But we are considering making socks for them.  Same as the handguns.

NOTE: I am spraying down the Towel “holsters” and socks, if we make them, with oil to retard moisture retention. 
What else is out there?  Mr. Bane this is a kind of topic that might fit into one of your upcoming shows.

GASPASSERDELUXE

Re: "Accessory" identification segregation and preparation
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 10:31:45 AM »
Can't help with the bolts etc, but for my pistol magazines I have 6-8 for each semi auto. I keep them in 1 qt zip lock bags with the gun and caliber written on the bag with a sharpie. Just have to dig thru the bags till I find which one I want.     

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 11:39:33 AM »
I buy US Mil. tool bags for $10 at gun shows.  Harbor Freight has something similar but they are not the same quality.  In them I keep mags, holster and mag pouch/s.  Some SA I only have one of and it is no problem but other 1911's I have more than one so I put the one I plan to use that day in the bag before I leave for the range or a match.  I will put appropriate ammo in before I leave in the latter and leave some at all times in the former adding more as necessary.  Also I keep any special tools and etc. in the appropriate bag.  For your rifle bolts I suggest you put eact in a zip lock bag (labeled as noted)and then in sperate cloth bags similar to Chavez Regal (sp?) bags and store them hung around the appropriate rifle barrel.  In my shooting bag I keep general tools, and ear protection.  Eye protection is kept in my truck along with ear plugs for "just in case".

FWIW

Richard 
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

tombogan03884

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 12:25:19 PM »
When I was in the NG bolts were stored separate from rifles, Each rifle had a number on the butt, that was it's location in the rack which was also numbered. The bolts were stored in a tool wrap with each pocket numbered .

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 83
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 02:07:54 PM »
I am in the process of setting up small plastic tubs - 12x6x6 roughly - with a label on the front for each one. That way I can keep mags, holsters and various other accoutrements specific to one firearm - not that I have any, mind you  ::) - separate and ready to grab as needed.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 01:51:51 AM »

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 455
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 03:36:54 PM »
Here's what I did to keep magazines somewhat organized.    Not labeled but at least separated.
(The XD mags with green paint on the bottom are 9mm while the others a .40......however, they'll either will work in either gun, except the witness holes are off.)

I would think little "tombstone" signs sticking up in the rear of each compartment with the make/model/caliber would the a great way to mark the container.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Ping

• Top Forum Member
  • Glock Certified Armorer & NRA Certified Instructor
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 04:49:17 PM »
On some pistol mag models you can get colored floor plates for identification.

tombogan03884

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2011, 04:54:38 PM »
If you have the same pistol in 2 calibers you could put bumpers on the mags of one caliber and leave them off the other.

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 12:31:26 AM »
One question, why pull the bolt out of the gun? The gun for that bolt makes a really nice holder for it.
If they are locked in the safe what difference does it make except to add to the confusion?

If I need extra mags,  they are all stored in a bin. 1911 mags are NOT seperated by gun - they work in all of them or they are trashed.

Choose what you want in a BOB and fill it with whatever you think you need. Hunting around for shotgun barrels seems like a terrific waste of time and effort. The shotgun has a place ready built for holding the barrel - in the gun where it should be.
Nearly all my guns are stored fully loaded. If I have any of it, I have all of it.

If you are going to re-invent the wheel, make sure it is still round. If it isn't, reevaluate your plan.
You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

JC5123

• Top Forum Member
  • Fortune sides with him who dares.
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 02:23:59 PM »
One question, why pull the bolt out of the gun? The gun for that bolt makes a really nice holder for it.
If they are locked in the safe what difference does it make except to add to the confusion?

If I need extra mags,  they are all stored in a bin. 1911 mags are NOT seperated by gun - they work in all of them or they are trashed.

Choose what you want in a BOB and fill it with whatever you think you need. Hunting around for shotgun barrels seems like a terrific waste of time and effort. The shotgun has a place ready built for holding the barrel - in the gun where it should be.
Nearly all my guns are stored fully loaded. If I have any of it, I have all of it.

If you are going to re-invent the wheel, make sure it is still round. If it isn't, reevaluate your plan.

I have to agree here. The ONLY time any of my firearms are disassembled to any degree is during cleaning. I have spare parts for all of them, but when I reach into the cabinet, no matter what weapon I grab, I get a working firearm. Aside from my carry gun, I only keep a few mags loaded for emergency use. (Rotating which ones every few months to keep the springs happy) The only 2 rifles in my safe that are not good to go the second I grab them are my AR series rifles. That is only because I don't keep a magazine in them when they are stored. That is quickly remedied by reaching to the top shelf.

Back to the point. I can understand why you disassemble for storage, but I would suggest that it would be prudent to at least have your survival weapons ready to go at a moments notice.   
I am a member of my nation's chosen soldiery.
God grant that I may not be found wanting,
that I will not fail this sacred trust.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk