Author Topic: "Accessory" identification segregation and preparation  (Read 8808 times)

nosimij

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: "Accessory" identification segregation and preparation
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2011, 11:55:20 PM »
Either I am completely off base here with my storage or I am being confusing.

The removal of the bolts is to install cable locks.  This is a third line of defense against unauthorized use or child accidents.  This I am sure is debatable to many but it is the path DW and I have chosen, Guns were bad until 2 years ago.  On one there is physically no other place to mount a breach locking system.

The extra barrels are just that extras.  As my shotguns spend most of their time as trap and bird guns they are stored in that configuration.  Changing out the ventilated rib 28in barrel for the ironed sighted cylinder bore is not always done before putting the weapon back into the safe.

With that said few addressed my actual question, so I must have worded it poorly.

How do you segregate your accessories?  To be more clear for those of you that have 3 9mms, 40s, or 45s (not 1911s) what do you do to make sure that you get the correct mags to go with the correct gun?

In the ideal world we would only have one brand of firearm, all of the same bore, and the magazines would be interchangeable.  It seams that many people have strayed away from ideal and manufacturers are using magazine capacity to differentiate themselves.  This make reality having to stay with a family.  This may or may not give you the flexibility to have different guns for different tasks/situations.  Looking at the top of the screen I see an add for the SR9c and CR40c.  The SR9 family has 2, unless I missed an announcement, members the SR9 and the SR9c the full sized 17 round magazine will fit either, yet the 10 round compact will not seat into a the full size.  So if you chose to have both a full sized for "duty" open carry use and the compact for the times where concealment is necessary you run the risk of getting somewhere and having a percentage of magazines that do not work in the gun you are carrying.  This is made worse if you and the misses have decided to both carry 1911s, but she wants the reduced recoil of the 9mm.  I am not yet here but I am looking to avoid confusion and mistakes. 

On my way home from work tonight I was listening to a back issues of Downrange radio, from July 4 2007 I think, where Micheal was telling of watching a professional shooter running a stage with a Glock 40 loaded with a 9mm mag and ammo.  I would like to hear the story of how this shooter ended up with the wrong mags.  This is the justification I see for this question.  in a real life and death situation stupid mistakes cost more than embarrassment and a match.  Perhaps I am the only one who sees this as a potential or it could be an empty safe that I want to fill telling me stories of what could go wrong if I set myself up with a duty and a carry gun. 
Thanks alfsauvefor giving an answer to the asked question.  Your identification of the 40 Cal XD mags with the green paint is an answer.  Do you have a green mark on your XD so you get a green gun and a Green Mag?

I am sorry if I was short tempered with my long winded answers to the responses. 

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 455
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2011, 05:34:03 AM »

On my way home from work tonight I was listening to a back issues of Downrange radio, from July 4 2007 I think, where Micheal was telling of watching a professional shooter running a stage with a Glock 40 loaded with a 9mm mag and ammo.  I would like to hear the story of how this shooter ended up with the wrong mags. 

Thanks alfsauvefor giving an answer to the asked question.  Your identification of the 40 Cal 9mm XD mags with the green paint is an answer.  Do you have a green mark on your XD so you get a green gun and a Green Mag?

I'd like to know more about that shooting story also.  Glocks will eat up pretty much any ammo.

RE:  Green paint.  Sort of.  My XD is two tone, black over tan, not exactly green but close.  My .40S&W was all black.   Not that I actually planned it, I just happen to have that paint handy.    I lucked out in that it sort matches the gun.    I haven't done the same with my Glock mags.   I have both 9mm and.40 mags for my G23 which is convertible.   I really should stick with green for all the 9mm.  I'm going to go down and paint theothers now as a matter of fact. 
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

JC5123

• Top Forum Member
  • Fortune sides with him who dares.
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2011, 12:29:57 PM »
I see where you are going.

I would segregate my safe as much as possible. Use bins, shelves, and dividers in order to organize all my pieces and parts. then wherever the rifle/shotgun/handgun goes, all the accessories associated with that firearm are with it. Color code if you desire.

For example: say you store your 870 shotgun. It goes in the slot labeled with green tape. All barrels for the shotgun also go in a slot with green tape. Any other spare parts go in a green bin. The Mossberg gets red. Your 1911 gets blue, and so on.
Ammunition is stored in surplus ammo cans and labeled.

Not sure if that helps, but it's what works for me. 
I am a member of my nation's chosen soldiery.
God grant that I may not be found wanting,
that I will not fail this sacred trust.

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2011, 11:23:38 AM »
I see where you are going.

I would segregate my safe as much as possible. Use bins, shelves, and dividers in order to organize all my pieces and parts. then wherever the rifle/shotgun/handgun goes, all the accessories associated with that firearm are with it. Color code if you desire.

For example: say you store your 870 shotgun. It goes in the slot labeled with green tape. All barrels for the shotgun also go in a slot with green tape. Any other spare parts go in a green bin. The Mossberg gets red. Your 1911 gets blue, and so on.
Ammunition is stored in surplus ammo cans and labeled.

Not sure if that helps, but it's what works for me. 

Sounds like a good a system.  I wish I had that much room in my safes!
You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

nosimij

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2012, 05:11:51 PM »
I have decided to write up my plan and the thinking behind it.  I will post it when I get done.  Actually I am hoping that when Mr. Bane finishes his survival guns book that he keeps talking about he actually devotes a chapter or two to this kind of topic.  After seeing the handgun content of his safe on a old episode of shooting galley I am sure that he has to have a system.  Do you think i am giving him too much credit.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 12:40:08 AM »

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 83
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2012, 05:52:13 PM »
I have decided to write up my plan and the thinking behind it.  I will post it when I get done.  Actually I am hoping that when Mr. Bane finishes his survival guns book that he keeps talking about he actually devotes a chapter or two to this kind of topic.  After seeing the handgun content of his safe on a old episode of shooting galley I am sure that he has to have a system.  Do you think i am giving him too much credit.

Credit? Not at all, he is a fine writer and knows his stuff.

The timeline for getting the next book published, however . . . . . . . .  ???  ::)  :o 

;D
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk