Author Topic: Are laser sights useful for HD?  (Read 9786 times)

Strider

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Are laser sights useful for HD?
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 01:27:28 PM »
My agency does not allow them on duty except for tactical operators.
Semper Fi

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 01:44:05 PM »
My agency does not allow them on duty except for tactical operators.

Maybe with ammo becoming scarce, they will reconsider  ;D ;D
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

JC5123

• Top Forum Member
  • Fortune sides with him who dares.
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 01:58:28 PM »
Get a copy of Crimson Trace's new video featuring MB. The Laser's Edge I believe is what its called. I think it's free, and I think MB has some copies. It explains how best to employ a laser, as well as talking about the limitations.
I am a member of my nation's chosen soldiery.
God grant that I may not be found wanting,
that I will not fail this sacred trust.

mrmatt2you

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2013, 10:40:35 PM »
I think they are very helpful for home defense.  But you cannot just put one on your gun and think that is all you need.  You also need range time.  Practice having it turned on but also turn it off too.   Never know when a battery will die.  So you better know how to shoot if it goes belly up on you.   
I have a Crimson Trace on my Kimber. When I go to the range, I will shoot a mag or two with it on, the rest of the time with it off.   I think it would help me at 3am if there is a bump in the night and need that extra little bit of help with a shot or just if someone sees the red dot and hopefully has a change of heart seeing that and goes out the way they came.   
Another thing to think about, if you eyes are not as good as they use to, will that red dot on the target be a little more visible if you are not wearing your glasses or contacts.   What will you see better the front sight or the red dot? 

JoeG

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2013, 10:11:21 AM »
I just got a CT grip for my brand new J frame that I haven't had a chance to shoot yet.  Their instinctive activation feature seems critical to me as finding the damn button should not be a priority in a reactive situation.

I like it a lot for dry fire as I have gotten better in just a week of evening sessions at keeping the dot on target as I cycle the action. Good training tool.

I see it as useful for a scenario where taking time to aim is not the best option. Shooting from retention is a part of every IDPA match and I get most of my procedural penalties for it as my reflex is to get space and extend. Nothing like competition for finding your skill gaps. I don't want to change that reflex but I do want to drill on shooting from retention so I can deliver on demand. The laser is a great way to index and build muscle memory.

BTW CT is having a 40% off sale for NRA certified instructors so the prices are more attractive. My J frame grip was $132 and well worth it to me

http://www.crimsontrace.com/company/nra-instructor-program/?utm_source=nra_instructor_program&utm_medium=email&utm_content=nra_instructor_program_hero&utm_campaign=Consumer%2BeNewsletter

“You cannot allow any of your people to avoid the brutal facts. If they start living in a dream world, it’s going to be bad.” Gen. James Mattis

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 11:23:50 AM »

Ping

• Top Forum Member
  • Glock Certified Armorer & NRA Certified Instructor
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2013, 07:12:13 PM »
So question.    How many LE agencies issue them as standard equipment?

Unfortunately not enough LEO's utilize them.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2013, 07:30:08 PM »
If you do practice with your laser, do most of the practice using other than your two handed hold and stance.  That is were the  laser will be least useful. 

If your range allows, fire from your retention position, across your belly, around your ammo bag, any odd position you are allowed to try.

Do it both strong hand and off hand.

You can almost be sure you will not be in a modified weaver stance when you are fighting.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Strider

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2013, 08:01:23 PM »
I am an advocate of Lasers but not to the point that they become a crutch for poor marksmanship. I like the idea that they can be used when obtaining a proper sight picture cannot be done, such as firing from a close retention position or from behind or around cover. As a training tool they are very helpful demonstrating trigger control.
Semper Fi

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk