Author Topic: #4 buckshot for home defense?  (Read 20738 times)

BAC

#4 buckshot for home defense?
« on: October 30, 2012, 04:20:40 PM »
I've got close neighbors and am afraid that 00 buck would go right through the walls and into the next house if I ever had to shoot my shotgun for home defense.

Would I be better off with bird shot or #4 buck?  It seems to me the #4 would be the best of both worlds (24 fairly large pellets but less penetration).  Thoughts?

tombogan03884

Re: #4 buckshot for home defense?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 06:05:58 PM »
Seems like a good idea, if it were an apt #4 might sill be to much, but house to house wit space between it should be safe.

Timothy

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 06:22:54 PM »
I'm still loaded up with 7-1/2 birdshot.  I'm currently residing in a mobile home with paper thin walls but 20 feet or more between homes. 

This was at 25 yards and it didn't seem to slow the #4 down a bit.  That's a bit troubling...

Your call!

BBJohnnyT

• NRA Endowment Member
  • Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 09:02:04 AM »
I have #4 buck loaded in my defensive 870.  00 buck is plain too much for the average tract home, especially if you have others in the home or close neighbors.  For the distances inside a basic tract home, bird shot is still devastating as hell.  That said, my 870 has a reload saddle filled with 00 buck and a couple of slugs, just in case.
"If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns." - Edward Abbey

BAC

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 10:15:25 AM »
What's the largest birdshot you can get, then?  You can tell I'm really familiar with shotguns and hunting, right?

I suppose the Garand would be overkill.  I'm not Clint Eastwood, after all.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 03:34:46 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 11:00:42 AM »
I found #6 on sale at the LGS

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 11:13:50 AM »
If you're REALLY worried about collateral damage, how about trap loads? I think they're 7-8 shot and they're low brass.... probably (Most likely) wouldn't penetrate an exterior wall.  BUT... you run the risk of just pissing the bad guy off.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

Jrlobo

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 11:47:14 AM »
Any difference with a 16 or 20 gauge. Less powder, fewer pellets...less penetration? After all, it's the bang and the blood that deters, especially on the face! Third shot is a slug for drug crazed Islamic terrorists.
Lobo

"Often in error, never in doubt!"

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 01:09:56 PM »
What's the largest birdshot you can get, then?  You can tell I'm really familiar with shotguns and hunting, right?

I suppose the Garand would be overkill.  I'm not Clint Eastwood, after all.

In case you don't know, BAC...being unfamiliar with shotguns, the bigger the birdshot number, the smaller the shot is.

Similar to shotgun gauges....as the gauge gets bigger, the bore diameter gets smaller.

I know how it works for the gauge but don't know if the birdshot is similar.

The gauge of a shotgun is the number of bore sized lead balls you can make from 1 pound of lead.

So for 12 gauge you can make 12 lead balls;  for 20 gauge you get 20 lead balls.

The bigger the bore, the fewer balls.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

BAC

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, 01:19:17 PM »
Found this:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk