Author Topic: #4 buckshot for home defense?  (Read 20735 times)

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
Re: #4 buckshot for home defense?
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2012, 01:41:08 PM »
The diffrence between the guages is really just less pellets.   
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 877
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 01:41:28 PM »
Penetration tests are easy if your local range will allow them.  However, most ranges are open to it if you explain what you are doing, why you are doing it, and work it out in advance so it can be discussed by the RO's.

Build a few mock ups of the wall sections you are concerned about:  a pair of 2x4's with sheetrock on each side, or what every your wall consists of, and a piece of cardboard or light sheetrock another foot down range to show power left in any penetrating or splatter materials.  

I would rather spend a hundred dollars on a test like this than fully take the word of anyone if I were trusting the lives of friends, neighbors or family to the results.  Besides, it gives you a reason to go and shoot something up.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2012, 01:48:04 PM »
The diffrence between the guages is really just less pellets.   

Not necessarily.  One ounce of load is one ounce of load regardless of gauge.  When comparing any ammunition you need to look at the load data.  In shotguns it is most commonly dram equivalent and load weight.  I show this to people all the time when they want to go with different gauge guns to reduce recoil.  I can show them how it is better to go with a 12 ga and lower power and load to reduce felt recoil.  With a 12 ga you can have a gun that works for all areas of shotgun sports and hunting (trap to large geese).  The additional action weight reduces felt recoil, and when you are shooting a sport where lowered power is advisable you can choose 12 ga ammunition that matches the 20ga.  12 ga gun shooting a 20 ga comparable round will have less felt recoil than the 20 ga.

How is that for a short response to a long comment ... Or the other way around  ;)
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

BAC

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2012, 02:01:37 PM »
Penetration tests are easy if your local range will allow them.  However, most ranges are open to it if you explain what you are doing, why you are doing it, and work it out in advance so it can be discussed by the RO's.

Build a few mock ups of the wall sections you are concerned about:  a pair of 2x4's with sheetrock on each side, or what every your wall consists of, and a piece of cardboard or light sheetrock another foot down range to show power left in any penetrating or splatter materials.  

I would rather spend a hundred dollars on a test like this than fully take the word of anyone if I were trusting the lives of friends, neighbors or family to the results.  Besides, it gives you a reason to go and shoot something up.

Nothing but paper targets.

Jrlobo

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2012, 03:50:05 PM »
Let's see if I understand this. Even though a 20 gauge shell contains less powder, proportionally it contains less shot so it hits with just as much force as a 12 gauge of equal length (comparing 3" vs 3" shotshells)? Now, if recoil is a factor of force and velocity, then why does my 20 gauge kick less than my 12? Tables show 3" shells of a 12 gauge exert nom 52 ft lbs of recoil energy vs 31 ft lbs for the 20 gauge. So, if we reduce the length of each to their lowest, it is difficult to conceive of a 12 gauge kicking less than a comparable 20 gauge.

All that notwithstanding, certainly understand the greater flexibility offered by the various shotshell configurations in 12 gauge. The irony is I have a 16 gauge pump! Won't be long before that 16 won't kick at all as shotshells disappear from local shelves.
Lobo

"Often in error, never in doubt!"

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 08:03:58 PM »

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2012, 04:01:16 PM »
jrlobo,

You must be using your spe redding skills.  I said that a 12 ga and a 20 ga with equal dram equivalent and shot load will be the same.  Go to the gun shop and look at trap loads.  You can actually find 12 ga loads that are lighter than 20 ga powerful trap loads.

Day two of Firearm Safety and Hunter's Education covers calibers, gauges, ammunition components, and how to read and select ammunition.  Read the damn box!

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2012, 04:02:06 PM »
Nothing but paper targets.

Shop around.  There are lots of ranges that will let you do this if you explain.  The only range that has ever turned me down on something like this is an indoor range.  Even a very busy range in Mesa, AZ allowed this, and we had many shooters gather as we did it.

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2012, 06:35:24 PM »
JRLobo, if you take a 1 ounce 12 and a 1 ounce 20 Load that are at say 1200 fps the 12 will recoil less for a couple reasons. One the 12 is usually built on a heavier frame gun  which helps tame recoil, also being that the 1 ounce load in a 20 has a longer coluum of shot that causes more friction for the load to overcome which causes more recoil.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper
Pericles--"Freedom is only for those who have the guts to defend it".

The problem with society today is that not enough of us drink wine from our enemies skulls”.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars!!!
-Sheriff Jim Wilson
"When tyranny becomes law rebellion becomes duty" Thomas Jefferson
Es gibt keine Notwendigkeit zu befürchten, Underdog hier ist.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

JoeG

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2012, 09:40:12 PM »
I got a box of #4 shot (turkey loads) as I thought they might be a little better than #7 bird shot. No data on all this but I ain't standing in front of a 12 gauge with any load.
“You cannot allow any of your people to avoid the brutal facts. If they start living in a dream world, it’s going to be bad.” Gen. James Mattis

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2012, 09:53:40 PM »
I got a box of #4 shot (turkey loads) as I thought they might be a little better than #7 bird shot. No data on all this but I ain't standing in front of a 12 gauge with any load.

That is the key phrase that goes with any gun - caliber or gauge!  Shoot what you got, shoot what you can handle, and practice with them!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk