Author Topic: Active Shooter in a Church  (Read 15176 times)

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Re: Active Shooter in a Church
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2015, 08:21:04 PM »
The max pay out of any church wil be the max insurance

So a church (or any other business), that insures itself for $15, that's the extent of their liability?
You might be off a tad there. Somehow I think their net worth is going to enter the conversation.

Having a gun does not equal self defense.  Its just a tool.  Its how you use it. If you truly believe that sd comes from a gun, well lets just say good luck.

It beats harsh language.
You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2015, 10:42:30 PM »
So a church (or any other business), that insures itself for $15, that's the extent of their liability?
You might be off a tad there. Somehow I think their net worth is going to enter the conversation.

It beats harsh language.
if that is the extent of thier assets, then yes.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 877
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2015, 11:27:02 PM »
if that is the extent of thier assets, then yes.

Errrrrrrr!!!! Wrong again big boy!

The reason for large liability policies is the hope that the offer of big bucks will head off a law suit.  If you have a million dollar policy your company will offer half a million, then three quarter, then a million if needed.  Juries don't care what your coverage is, and they may not even  be aware of the amount when making awards.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2015, 12:59:57 AM »
you can't get blood from a stone.  the max payment you receive is what ever the insurance is.  I don't care if the jury awards you a billion dollars.  if the church spends all their assets fighting you the only thing that's left is there insurance policy. 

.I really don't think any of you have been in big time lawsuits

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 877
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2015, 01:19:03 AM »
What about buildings, land, fixtures?  There is a lot that can be gained.

As far as big time law suits:  In a law suit over the death of a young boy on a Honda Big Red it was Honda International, our city ambulance service, three EMT's on the call with me being the first on the list, myself again as both president of the service and as training officer.  Terms of the settlement prohibit us from sharing the dollars paid to the family (the family who ignored the owner's manual, dealer instructions and decal on the tank concerning riders under a given age and size) by the parties.  I do not know what was paid out by Honda International, but I do know the number of zeros behind a number paid by our service.  Thankfully I was covered by the service and city insurance policies, so my share of the settlement was paid by them and out of tax dollars.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 04:10:04 PM »

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2015, 11:29:46 AM »
The max pay out of any church wil be the max insurance, so a couple mill at most.  Just because on insurance company says, means nothing.  Btw. Court case have said even police don't have to protect you.

For there to be damages caused by you being disarmed, you would have to prove that in court.  Which in reality will not happen.  Lawyers and insurance companys know this,.
This was a political move.

Having a gun does not equal self defense.  Its just a tool.  Its how you use it. If you truly believe that sd comes from a gun, well lets just say good luck.

The suit against the company would not say you were injured because you did not have your gun.  It would say that since company policy deprived you of the means you determined was sufficient for your defense and did not, since you were injured, provide sufficient protection, the liability is the company's.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

brushmore

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2015, 03:11:58 PM »
As far as big time law suits:  In a law suit over the death of a young boy on a Honda Big Red it was Honda International, our city ambulance service, three EMT's on the call with me being the first on the list, myself again as both president of the service and as training officer.  Terms of the settlement prohibit us from sharing the dollars paid to the family (the family who ignored the owner's manual, dealer instructions and decal on the tank concerning riders under a given age and size) by the parties.  I do not know what was paid out by Honda International, but I do know the number of zeros behind a number paid by our service.  Thankfully I was covered by the service and city insurance policies, so my share of the settlement was paid by them and out of tax dollars.

Wow, reading that just really ticked me off.  That's really low to sue the first responders who put their lives at stake on regular basis to help other people.  They certainly don't get rich in that career path.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2015, 03:40:10 PM »
Wow, reading that just really ticked me off.  That's really low to sue the first responders who put their lives at stake on regular basis to help other people.  They certainly don't get rich in that career path.

Problem is lawyers today don't look at the court system as a place of justice but as a slot machine.  Put in your coin and pull the handle.  You might win a bit or loose a bit, but sometimes you hit a jackpot.  The more times you pull the handle the better your odds...especially when your client is putting up that coin...but they will often give their service for free just for that chance to win big.  Not hard to get clients to see $$ and go along.

Unfortunately juries are also a problem...often seeing a downtrodden victim against a powerful money grabbing organization/group,  regardless of where blame lies.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2015, 04:04:47 PM »
The suit against the company would not say you were injured because you did not have your gun.  It would say that since company policy deprived you of the means you determined was sufficient for your defense and did not, since you were injured, provide sufficient protection, the liability is the company's.

um that would never end up in court.

just a little fyi, I won a massive civil rights court case last year... I can not disclose the ammounts won, or the out come, but lets just say it was between 6 and 7 figures in total.... and I kept exactly 0 of it.  gave it all away to charity. 

trust me, whats right, fair and just has nothing to do with the court systems.

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2015, 07:31:41 PM »
um that would never end up in court.

*cough cough*bullshit*cough*
It just needs to be filed. You cannot be denied a filing. 

trust me, whats right, fair and just has nothing to do with the court systems.

On that I will wholeheartedly agree! It's a LEGAL system, not a JUSTICE system.
You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk