Author Topic: Welcome to the Defense & Tactics Forum! POSTING GUIDELINES.  (Read 20457 times)

Rob Pincus

• CO-HOST ON BEST DEFENSE
  • Top Forum Member
    • I.C.E. Training Company
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Welcome to the Defense & Tactics Forum! POSTING GUIDELINES.
« on: January 09, 2009, 12:48:02 PM »
One of the things that became apparent when we set up The Best Defense forum is that there are a lot of people at DRTV interested in talking about ALL topics related to Personal and Home Defense, related equipment and tactical training. Because the TBD forum is meant to specifically discuss the show, Marshall, Michael, Michael and I wanted to set up another forum for more free-flowing discussions with input and questions from everyone in the DRTV Community.

Keep in mind that the topics being discussed here are Matter of Life & Death. As such, topics, contributions and posts should be on topic, thoughtful, articulate and posted with appropriate consideration for responsible use of the information contained therein.

Any on topic Question is welcome!

Posts containing advice, opinions or suggestions should, whenever possible, include an explanation for WHY you think the information is valuable.

I look forward to watching, and participating a bit, as you all build a great body of resources in the interest of making the DRTV Community SAFER.

Thanks!

-RJP

Rob Pincus

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: Welcome to the Defense & Tactics Forum: POSTING GUIDELINES.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 12:18:53 PM »
Another update to remind everyone that this forum will have a different level of accountability for the posters than may be common in other areas of DRTV.

These are matters of life and death and we hope that people are coming here to learn. Please be sure to have examples to back up statements of fact and don't get your feelings hurt if your statements are challenged.

Statments of Opinion are usually WELCOME. Examples:

I like Glocks.

I don't like Glocks.

Those would be better and more valuable with explanations of "why?". Examples:

I like Glocks, and I find them easier to shoot than XDs because the grip area is a bit thicker.

I don't like Glocks because the grips are too square for my hand.

Statements of fact that are known to be wrong will be corrected or challenged. Examples:

Glocks Never Malfunction.

Glocks Always Malfunction with hollowpoints.

Lastly, to steal a line from the founder of "The Firing Line" (where I've been on "staff" in one capacity of another for over a decade):

Think Twice, Post Once.

-RJP

Rob Pincus

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
SEARCH FUNCTION and GOOGLE...... please.
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 11:49:24 PM »
I just got this Private Message:

[when it comes time to move through your house and there is an intruder present], which caliber of weapon would be best in that situation if you had to use it?

My Response:

Are you kidding?

Take some time to read through the posts on this forum and/or google "Rob Pincus gun selection" and you'll find about 1000 pages of information on that question.

This may sound harsh, but if you can figure out how to send this Private Message, I'm sure you can figure out why that question is not one worth taking even this much time to respond to.... hence my response pointing you in the direction of good information related to it in the hopes that the process will get you thinking in the right direction.

The internet is NOT a good place for sarcasm, bluntness or many of the other things that I am usually good at in person. Please don't be offended.

-RJP

Seriously.... if you can make it to DRTV, you can figure out how to SEARCH and use GOOGLE.  That question has been done to death already in this forum and the TBD Forum and they are only 2 months old.  I think that many people around here can testify to my overwhelming readiness to answer questions and PM's... in fact, I had answered a PM for the same individual that sent that question just a few moments before the "follow up"... in the first round of questioning, the poster commented that he was "new to this" and has "0" posts, which I was why I made the comment about being able to figure out how to send a PM.....

I enjoy interacting on the 'net with people and answering all sorts of questions. Obviously, we all do at some level or we wouldn't be here. In fact, many times, the questions point me in directions to search for answers that end up benefitting many people because I have chosen this as my profession and I have the time and some of the resources to find some of those answers... or at least the best ones that I can come up with! I hope that such a process is an important part of the forum for many of us who have spent a long time thinking about these things.

In order to make the most of this forum and all of our opportunity to share information, please take advantage of the forum (and the internet in general) to research your questions prior to posting them here. I think you will find that it will increase the value of the discussions. While you may truly need information about the 9mm vs. the .45, you probably don't need to ask about it here (at least not again). If you really are interested in the opinions of DRTV'ers on such a topic, please post that specifically and let us know that you at least did put some critical thought into the post. 

THANKS!

Rob Pincus

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: Welcome to the Defense & Tactics Forum! POSTING GUIDELINES.
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 10:08:51 PM »
BTT.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk