Author Topic: Neighbor woman scared by man on porch...with rope  (Read 3418 times)

Frisco

• Ugly, broke down, retired old fart.
  • Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Neighbor woman scared by man on porch...with rope
« on: February 25, 2009, 05:51:27 AM »
Last weekend my neighbors from 7 houses down the street, a single 59 year old woman and her 27 year old daughter who was home alone, had a very scary situation at their home.

At around 1130pm their two dogs started barking VERY aggressively.  Both dogs (small lap dog types) were at the back sliding door that opens onto their back porch, barking and generally having a fit.  Crystal, the daughter, went to let the dogs out and came face to face with a man standing on their porch holding a length of "white rope or cord" looking into their family room through the glass door.

Crystal screamed, ran into the bathroom, and used her cell phone to call 911.

Within minutes, deputies were on scene, and cleared the house and back yard.

I happened to be outside with my neighbors from next door, and across the street having our weekly "campfire meeting" where we get together and have a fire in a metal fire pit in my front yard.  These get-togethers usually last until 200am, and local LE know us well, and always stop to say howdy, and eat pizza or whatever we grill for the midnight snack...hey, I can tell you from years of experience, cops know where to get hot coffee, cold soda, or a free meal.

Anyway, one of the deputies who works our area and had been on the call, stopped and asked if any of us had seen a white male, mid-20's to early-30's, and related what had happened.  We all answered in the negative.  The deputy with whom I used to work when I was still a cop, asked if I was armed...I lifted my sweatshirt, and answered that silly question in the affirmative.  He asked me to call his cell if I saw anyone that I didn't know, and left to cruise our neighborhood.

I went down to Joyce and Crystal's house to ask if they were all right, and to see if they needed anything.  It turns out, Joyce wasn't home and it was only Crystal who was there during the incident.  Crystal was, very shaken, and very afraid.  I told her to come down to the fire, and sit with us.  She was VERY happy to do so.

After talking for an hour or so, Crystal said she was afraid to go home and be alone, but had to work the next morning and needed to sleep.  I offered to go with her to the house so she could get whatever she might need for work the next morning, and that she could sleep in our guest bedroom.  She jumped at the chance, and as she got her things together, I phoned my wife who was still on shift with PD, to let her know we had a guest.

In talking with Crystal, I found out that her mother, Joyce, had purchased a Rossi .357 snubby.  Crystal said it has not been fired, or even loaded since she had it, and she didn't even think to get the gun.

Last Sunday, I took Joyce and Crystal out to my home range, and began to teach them the basics.  My wife, who is LE, accompanied us.  I spent two hours going over safety, handling and operation, and the basics of shooting.  They each fired about 100 rounds of my .38 reloads.  I kept them between 5 and 15 yards on sillhouette targets, focusing on center of mass.  I taped an 8 1/2 x 11" sheet of paper in the center, and told them I was only concerned with them putting all six from the revolver into that area.  As I said, I kept it VERY basic.

At the end of the first session (we are going back out this weekend) they were both having no trouble keeping all six from the Rossi in a fist size group in the middle of the paper on the target from contact to the 15-yard line.

I outfitted them with 50 rounds of Federal 125 gr JHP .38 and a couple of HKS speedloaders, which I had taught them to use, and a holster that fit their Rossi.  The gun now lives in an accessible spot for each of them, and Crystal bought her own Smith & Wesson Model 10 3-inch .38 on Monday.  She won't keep it loaded until our next session and she gets to work with it.

I also gave them ARMED AND FEMALE by Paxton Quigley, IN THE GRAVEST EXTREME by Mas Ayoob, THE TRUTH ABOUT SELF PROTECTION by Mas Ayoob, and ARIZONA GUN OWNERS GUIDE.  I consider these THE primers for women who own a gun.

It was a shame they had to be so scared to finally take steps to be self sufficient where their security is concerned, but better late than never.  I was personally proud of the way they learned, and listened, and did what I told them while learning the basics.   

I also tld them to TiVo THE BEST DEFENSE and SHOOTING GALLERY!
God bless, and sincere thanks to all our fine people in uniform.  You pay for our freedom, and for that we owe you all we can give you.  Thank you.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 583
Re: Neighbor woman scared by man on porch...with rope
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 06:11:48 AM »
Helping neighbors help themselves can only strengthen our 2nd Ammendment.

Great work!
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Michael Janich

• CO-HOST ON BEST DEFENSE
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 07:43:35 AM »
Great work, Frisco--not only in educating and empowering them, but strengthening the collective defenses of your neighborhood.

Well done!

Stay safe,

Mike

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 09:18:47 AM »
Having only a cell phone to cling to when there is a bad guy lurking can be a very sobering experience.
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk