Author Topic: 5.7 for Self Defense  (Read 44504 times)

kdcarlso

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: 5.7 for Self Defense
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2009, 08:53:03 AM »
I was thinking along the same lines as RASTUS and was hoping someone had direct knowledge of it's use and could chime in. I do appreciate the opinions that bigger is more effective and follow it when practical. It's just with a move into a more suburban environment and a house layout that makes penetrating walls more of a concern I'm looking at options. I've wanted a PS90 for a while but if I'm spending that kind of money I'd like something that I can use for more than just plinking and varmints.. At least it would making it easier to justify to the wife  :)

tombogan03884

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2009, 12:33:09 PM »
Go to http://www.guntalk.com/site3.php and listen to the podcasts with FN reps. You will have to search through to find them, work backwards they have some good info.

Rob Pincus

• CO-HOST ON BEST DEFENSE
  • Top Forum Member
    • I.C.E. Training Company
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2009, 07:37:42 PM »
I have nothing but "3rd hand at best" info about the 5.7... but I do have reliable reports that the 4.6mm round from H&K is performing well at close ranges.

-RJP

kdcarlso

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2009, 07:43:33 AM »
Thanks for the input.. Love the show and I'm looking forward to the next season.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2009, 04:49:03 AM »
I was told the Secret Service was carrying the 5.7 rifle by a dealer at a gun show that was trying to talk me into buying one. Looking back I wish I would have purchased it cause the price for them has gone up over $500. Ammo I think would be difficult to find. I have not seen it since that same gun show last year.

The p90 would actually be a great tool for that app.  much better then say a MP5. 

small size, high cap( 50 rounds) light wieght, low recoil, good AP...  sounds like a good "protection" gun.( protecting others, not yourself.)
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 03:07:56 PM »

bunkeru2k

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2009, 11:48:10 AM »
I have nothing but "3rd hand at best" info about the 5.7... but I do have reliable reports that the 4.6mm round from H&K is performing well at close ranges.

-RJP

I would assume that both would be effective. The velocities reached by these rounds would be in the range of rifles...and that can change some wound ballistics dramatically. Both are in the 2100+ FPS range.....which would produce some drastic temporary cavity wounds. You can view a little info on that here: http://karws.gso.uri.edu/jfk/scientific_topics/wound_ballistics/How_a_high-speed.html    Now if we can just get a 9mm or .40 to reach the 2000 fps mark, then we have a definite keeper as a self defense handgun!

long762range

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2009, 03:05:43 PM »
Now if we can just get a 9mm or .40 to reach the 2000 fps mark, then we have a definite keeper as a self defense handgun!

The problem with a 9mm or a .40 pistol reaching the 2000 fps mark would be making the second shot, as your wrist would be touching your elbow.   :o
"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous.  If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for."

Magnum

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2009, 03:21:56 PM »
Sorry for getting slightly off track, but if velocity in a handgun is what you want, wouldn't a 357 Sig be a good choice??
I have been looking into getting one of those as I have read good things about that caliber. I only brought it up because you mentioned 9 and 40 handguns.  :)

Kid Shelleen

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2009, 03:29:58 PM »
The FN  PS90 must be a pretty good weapon with adequate lethality. The military has adopted it as the weapon of choice for support personnel. That would also imply that it is easy to master.
“What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that the people preserve the spirit of resistance?”

Thomas Jefferson, 1787

Ping

• Top Forum Member
  • Glock Certified Armorer & NRA Certified Instructor
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2009, 03:04:56 PM »
Magnum said:
wouldn't a 357 Sig be a good choice??

Hard ammo to find and expensive.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk