Author Topic: Fade to [condition] white. How to avoid it??  (Read 7862 times)

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Fade to [condition] white. How to avoid it??
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 04:23:21 PM »
"The subject of personal defense is far more psychological than technical. As soon as you decide and insist that you will not be victimized, you have done more than any weapon can to provide for your safety."
Jeff Cooper
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

Jackel

• life member of the American Honketonk bar association
  • Top Forum Member
  • F150 n' a 30-06
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2009, 07:52:36 PM »
i agree that it is physcological.

for instance today after i picked my son up from a play date i had to stop at 7 11 for some milk and a ice cream (for me of course  ;D)
There were a couple of guys hanging around the front smoking, and another guy sitting still in a parked car a few spaces down. i could clearly see that they were affiliated because they all had that "hip hop" look and there eyes met a couple of times.

i was petty sure there was something going on here and said to my son that we would go to wawa's instead.

now that i think about it they could have jacked my car quite easily, or it could have been a couple of friends that were stopping for a smoke.

i didnt consciousleey think that they were going to try something but i had a bad feeling. im sure all you guys have had the same feeling many times.
you are a redneck when You think "loading the dishwasher" means getting your wife drunk.

You know your a redneck You ever got too drunk to fish.

tombogan03884

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2009, 07:55:22 PM »
From Ratcatcher
"Good driver and 3rd World can not be used in the same sentence.  The Enshalla driving school worries more than terrorists or muggers"

That line made my day  ;D LOL

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2009, 10:36:13 PM »
"Understanding that you CAN be ambushed and training from that perspective as often as possible is much more likely to increase your survivability than trying to find ways to avoid distraction, fatigue and surprise."

I don't disagree with that, but the opposite of aware is unaware, I think Unaware is bad, regardless of training, especially for the masses, my quote of fat, dumb and happy. Which I did not coin, is how local LE's describe people in a totally white state, oblivious to things around them, totally absorbed in what they are doing. Those that chose not to carry the means to defend themselves should adapt an attitude of awareness like a rabbit, I am food, so I need to look out for hungry predators. In life, when driving, I watch the 2nd car in front, not the 1 in front of me, the 2nd car is what the 1st car will react to, If I see the 2nd car react, I react, reject the lemming response.

Rob, I have the advantage of training and application, most will not, it would be nice for us all to be trained, but on this forum, a lot of folks take what we have to say and try to understand and apply it. I think the spirit of the thread speaks for itself, the man was understanding, he was losing the awareness, and wanted to get it back. Basic awareness I think is fundamental as a defense strategy.  But as I have taught and understand, if someone is out to get you, they probably will. But in everyday life, we can decide to walk in a bad place, or take a bus, or subway, in places we would not normally go. My disabled wife, who has zero awareness now, at least does not drive to bad areas, or take the public transpo without a backup person. She can no longer carry a gun.

You definitely think about what you say and carry it beyond the goal line, but remember, a lot of us here would like to participate, but cannot, due to physical difficulties, but reacting to a threat, is both real and unobtainable for some, especially a physical beat down. That absolutely does not mean it can't happen, or won't, our only defense is avoidance. That does not mean we will be successful, just not completely naked.

I do appreciate your input.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2009, 01:08:20 AM »
i agree that it is physcological.

for instance today after i picked my son up from a play date i had to stop at 7 11 for some milk and a ice cream (for me of course  ;D)
There were a couple of guys hanging around the front smoking, and another guy sitting still in a parked car a few spaces down. i could clearly see that they were affiliated because they all had that "hip hop" look and there eyes met a couple of times.

i was petty sure there was something going on here and said to my son that we would go to wawa's instead.

now that i think about it they could have jacked my car quite easily, or it could have been a couple of friends that were stopping for a smoke.

i didnt consciousleey think that they were going to try something but i had a bad feeling. im sure all you guys have had the same feeling many times.
This is the key. When I was a young cadet we had a series of "career days". Officers from various MOSs came in  and lectured us on what they did all day. We had a guy come in from 6th SF. He said that what seperates a Green Beret from a Marine (sorry Tom, but his words not mine) was that a force recon Marine was trained to beat up everyone in the bar. A Green Beret was trained to recoginize that the bar was a bad place to be and stay the hell away from it. First rule to winning a fight is to avoid the fight if at all possible. Its been 20 years and I still remember those words.
FQ13

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 08:54:33 PM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2009, 10:33:12 AM »
That's OK FQ, our barracks was directly across from Recon, We occasionally assisted with their training. (spelled B R A W L  ;D  )

Rob Pincus

• CO-HOST ON BEST DEFENSE
  • Top Forum Member
    • I.C.E. Training Company
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2009, 04:30:19 PM »
...a lot of us here would like to participate, but cannot, due to physical difficulties, but reacting to a threat, is both real and unobtainable for some, especially a physical beat down. That absolutely does not mean it can't happen, or won't, our only defense is avoidance. That does not mean we will be successful, just not completely naked.

M25,

I may have given the wrong impression with my initial response. My point is not that Awareness and Avoidance aren't important. They are invaluable... as anyone who has watched TBD or TBD:S will tell you, we frequently stress both aspects of personal defense. My point is that I know many people who are COMPLACENT because of their (mis-)perception of what their awareness level is. Those who would say that they can't be ambushed because they are "always aware" are the guys I was addressing.

That said, "unobtainable" doesn't exist for anyone in a conscious state. Yell, Scream, Stomp, Swing the crutches, Roll the Chair, Bite, Claw, whatever. If you can't shoot a gun, buy a Taser. If you can't buy a Taser, learn whatever unarmed skills you can. If you can't perform defensive motor skills, think about using fingernails and teeth. Don't get me wrong, you may lose. Your wife may lose. I may lose. Even Janich may lose. That doesn't mean that you should start the day thinking that if anyone gets within arms reach you're done.  I had the pleasure of spending a little time with Kyle Maynard (
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5R75GGUovg) last month at a combatives camp. He's an extreme example, but he hasn't let his physical limitations keep him from developing defensive skills.

-RJP

tombogan03884

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2009, 07:05:03 PM »
 Wow !

r_w

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2009, 08:27:33 PM »
Wow !

WOW!!!

And a thanks to MB for covering this topic in the podcast, too. 
"Why are you carrying a pistol?  Expecting trouble?"

"No Maam.  If I was expecting trouble, I'd have a rifle."

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2009, 10:07:32 PM »
Thank you Rob, Kyle shows the heart and mind of a warrior, regardless of circumstance. Don't get me wrong, I was not dissing you, just focused on the original question of someone asking, " I am not focusing anymore and how do I not do that? " The responses have been great and I hope we have all answered the question.

"Never give up, Never surrender"  Galaxy Quest. But still applies, as you suggested.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk