Author Topic: "BEST" martial art for childern  (Read 23046 times)

texcaliber

• Top Forum Member
  • "My best friends are Smith & Wesson"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
"BEST" martial art for childern
« on: October 26, 2009, 04:04:46 PM »
What in your opinion is the better martial art geared toward child safety and defense?
A touchy subject, I know, but I would like to get a wide view on this subject, (MMA to Yoga) it does not matter. I will not laugh at any of your post, but understand I can not let my little girl walk around with a Claymore on her back like William Wallace nor Mad Max in Thunderdome.

It would be nice if you would include reasons for your suggestions. Also if it is possible a link to more information supporting your facts/opinions  or video to represent your Art. I am a little hyperventilate at this time but realizing even I can not always be there.

Thank you.
tex
"All I need in life is Love and a .45!"

charliefarmerboy33

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: "BEST" martial art for childern
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 06:07:33 PM »
As someone who teaches children, and also teaches martial arts to children. I have some very strong opinions on the subject.
I would ask other parents who's children are currently in martial arts classes. Are they happy with what is taught? What is taught? For children, the particular style is less important that the Teacher. If you truly want self defense, which for children also means self awareness, make certain that this is a focus of the Instructor/School.
Many of the big franchise schools are there strictly to make money and don't focus on practical things that will really benefit kids. There seems to be a fee for everything. At the dojo where I train and teach adults we encourage people to stay away from any school that has a camouflage belt. 
Think about the things that you really want your child to know.

How to avoid danger.
What to do if confronted by danger.
How to make good decisions about their safety etc.
Then ask the instructor if these things are taught in his/her dojo.
Ask to try out a class for a three days or a week. Any good instructor will do so willingly.
If after the first class you get pummeled about signing a contract, go away fast. 

Most schools that teach kids teach one of the simple arts like Te Kwan Do.
The basics start very much the same. Punches, kicks, blocks. As no child can compete with an adult in terms of strength, escapes and ways to get out of holds are important too.
I would also look for a dojo in which the classes are not too big.

Hope this is helpful

If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember what you said.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 06:20:06 PM »
Ditto to what he said. Far more important than the style is the school and the teacher. Do you get a good vibe from the place? Do the kids look happy? Is the teacher someone you would trust to not only watch, but touch your child? What do other parents say?
Second, what's your kids temperment? Would they be comfortable/ have the strenghth for a contact style, or be happier with somthing less in your face like akido? Do they like to compete, if so judo or tai kwan do might be the way to go.
I'd consider this, then go looking for styles.
FQ13

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 06:40:18 PM »
Age is a big factor, 7 to 10? 10 to teen?

Just wondering an age range for your daughter as some styles may be too much or not enough depending on age/maturity level, etc,..

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

tombogan03884

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 06:49:54 PM »
Another thing to consider is does the Sensai hold his students to a standard of proper behavior OUTSIDE the DoJo.
When I was studying Shoto Kan, My Sensai Demoted two kids (one was his son ) He dropped them each one belt, his son for getting mouthy at home and the other kid got caught smoking at school . While they did not have to retest to regain their belts, they DID have to demonstrate good behavior for some time. ( I think it was 3 months.)
The point was that students had to be responsible, polite and well behaved at ALL times, not just in the DoJo.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:53:28 PM »

sanjuancb

• Top Forum Member
  • The years teach much which the days never knew.
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 08:13:47 PM »
Definitely Aikido. There is no strength requirement and it is without the "badass" attitude of some of the other martial arts. You want your kids to be able to defend themselves, but you don't want them running around with the MMA attitude.  Some people will tell you that it is not practical, these people have never been wristlocked and then had their head slammed into solid chair or desk. Aikido promotes peaceful existence, harmony, physical and spiritual balance but allows you to effectively defend yourself in any given situation. It is true that some schools are "harder" or "softer" than others. Ideally, you will have a dojo nearby that focuses on the martial aspect of the art and is not completely consumed with Qi (some Qi focus is vital, though).

Before Seagal got fat and became a movie star he was a beautiful example of the poetry and efficacy of Aikido:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bu7aauJuQHY

*Note that the "uke" (one who receives) does comply when a technique is demonstrated, this is so that they are not injured. People will claim that this detracts from the art somehow, but someone who resists the technique is going to be a LOT of pain in most instances.
"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt

Bic

• Top Forum Member
  • It's just a pen name...
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 08:32:08 PM »
I'd never even heard of 'Aikido' until I became a member of a British Police force in the mid '70's..... but it is absolutely the most useful martial art I have studied & practiced.  MP
Best Wishes, Mike.

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 10:04:01 PM »
Tex, no bad ideas so far, I like judo for young people, 10 or younger, it teaches you to fall down first, like gymnastics, good holds and escapes, but no striking. For a full regimen, strikes do need to be part of the regimen. I am a fan of Aikido, but have not practiced it, I like it it in theory and observation. I studied judo and tae kwan doe, Korean style. My teacher ( sensai ) was a great guy who is a marine that learned his stuff in Korea, and his teaching, is recognized in Korea. Hard core teaching, but gentle teacher. Gave as much as he thought you could accept.

I think the temperament and goal of the teacher is more important than the curriculum as has as much been stated. As the child grows older, and more capable, then more techniques are capable. The older MA schools teach respect, honor, and mental preparation, far better than training a bully, as I experienced in Tae Kwan doe. The sensai would allow you to bullied to a point, just to find out how you were, but would step in HARD, if need be.

At the end of the day, MMa, not what we watch on TV, completes the process, it is what  takes it to the final level, complete domination of your opponent. No mercy type of stuff. No one technique is perfect. But all the previous have brought them to this point, which is the best, awareness,, avoidance and god forbid, action. But capable.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

texcaliber

• Top Forum Member
  • "My best friends are Smith & Wesson"
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 08:23:28 AM »
Age is a big factor, 7 to 10? 10 to teen?

Just wondering an age range for your daughter as some styles may be too much or not enough depending on age/maturity level, etc,..

7yrs.
"All I need in life is Love and a .45!"

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 01:52:03 PM »
AS a long time wreslter, jr team coach and ref.  I'd say wreslting.

at that age, most martial arts places are just belt factorys.

I am also a judo player, judo is fairly light compared to wreslting.  more so at a young age.

For the record, 2 nights a week I coach wreslting, 2 nights a week I go to judo pratice.  I've worked out with all levels of both.  A round or two with a high level judo player means you just get thrown alot.  a round or two with a NCAA or olympic wreslter = you can't move the next morning.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk