Author Topic: T shot for SD?  (Read 4042 times)

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
T shot for SD?
« on: July 01, 2010, 12:52:54 AM »
OK, I have opined that bird shot is not what one wants for SD. I have drunk the Ayoob Kool-aid. Yet and still, after finding a a box of T shot (steel, 3") I am wondering exactly what the difference is between that an #4 buck at across the living room distances? Thoughts?
FQ13 who doesn't want to revisit old arguments, just get some info from those who know, so I'll set it before the board.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
Re: T shot for SD?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 02:33:33 AM »
if it was lead, not much, steal does not penatrate as deeply as lead.  i still would not want to get hit with it.

ps my damn shift key is broken...
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Rob Pincus

• CO-HOST ON BEST DEFENSE
  • Top Forum Member
    • I.C.E. Training Company
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 05:56:01 AM »
As TAB said, steel generally is going to stop sooner, as it is lighter and doesn't carry as much momentum.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 06:03:17 AM »
As TAB said, steel generally is going to stop sooner, as it is lighter and doesn't carry as much momentum.

But would you trust it for SD or just use it on the range? I'm not comparing it to the theoretically perfect round. Just a question of is it good enough or no?
Thanks
 FQ13

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 08:38:14 PM »
FQ, take it to the range and see what it patterns like at 30-40', from your shotgun, reasonable distance inside a home, probably will shoot very tight, if it does, BG probably won't know the difference if he makes it to the hospital. Won't get lead poisoning though.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:57:06 AM »

Johnny Bravo

• NRA Life Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 09:06:27 PM »
FQ, take it to the range and see what it patterns like at 30-40', from your shotgun, reasonable distance inside a home, probably will shoot very tight, if it does, BG probably won't know the difference if he makes it to the hospital. Won't get lead poisoning though.

And we sure don't want sick BG's  ;D
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

"An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject."

JdePietro

• M14 Patterned Protagonist
  • Top Forum Member
  • "Neither Spare nor Dispose"
    • Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 02:02:25 PM »
Steel is only used on fowl because it won't hurt the habitat, or so we have been told.

BUT what about all those other loads. Tungsten, Black Cloud, Copper plated lead? I don't hear anyone sqawking about those.
How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live.
-Henry David Thoreau

david86440

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010, 02:08:22 PM »
I really love how "green" is working its way into everything today.

PICATINNY ARSENAL, N.J. (June 23, 2010) -- The Army announced today it has begun shipping its new 5.56mm cartridge, the M855A1 Enhanced Performance Round, to support warfighters in Afghanistan.

The new M855A1 round is sometimes referred to as "green ammo."

The M855A1 Enhanced Performance Round is the first environmentally-friendly bullet resulting from a larger "greening" effort across the Army's Small Caliber Ammunition programs. Other greening efforts include 5.56mm tracer, 7.62mm ball and green primers.

Soldiers in Afghanistan will begin using the new, improved round this summer.

The new round replaces the current M855 5.56mm cartridge that has been used by U.S. troops since the early 1980s.
The Enhanced Performance Round contains an environmentally-friendly projectile that eliminates up to 2,000 tons of lead from the manufacturing process each year in direct support of Army commitment to environmental stewardship.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2010, 04:30:01 PM »
I don't whether its nonsense or not. At the rate at which an army base is going to burn through lead over the years this might start causing water quality issues. Plus the poor little jihadis can be safely used for mulch, finally proving themselves useful. ;D
FQ13

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk