Author Topic: Sporterized/Scout Moisin Project. Cost?  (Read 3449 times)

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Sporterized/Scout Moisin Project. Cost?
« on: March 01, 2010, 02:57:30 AM »
I was window shopping today. Classic arms and J@G sales have some amazing deals on Moisins, starting at $70 and running to $119. My only beef with J@G is their "hand select" cost $30 while its $10 at Classic. Classic says that means drawing 10 random rifles and sending you the pick of the litter, J@G desn't specify what you're buying. Still, great value from two good dealers. At $70 for a hex bolt these are the next best thing to free. What I would like to know is what I would spend to get the barrel cut and recrowned, the forearm shortened and a scope mount attached. I probably won't put glass on it, instead just going with irons, but what am I looking at total?
FQ13

capbyrd

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: Sporterized/Scout Moisin Project. Cost?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 03:03:29 PM »
Are you against having a synthetic stock?  Even if it is just a 70 dollar Mosin, I hate the idea of ruining a stock.  The Monte Carlo from ATI can be had from JG Sales for 50 bucks and then it could easily be returned to factory.  As for the scope mount and barrel information, I have no idea. 

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 03:09:56 PM »
Found this mount and scope at Amazon.  Maybe it is too cheap...but a review seemed to think it was a value.

Amazon is usually not the cheapest price out there.

http://www.amazon.com/Mosin-Nagant-2-5x30-illuminated-91/dp/B0022VBAGS/ref=pd_bxgy_sg_img_c
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

david86440

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 09:02:03 PM »
FQ13,

I started with an M44 (Mosin-Nagant with bayonet fixed to end of barrel), cut and recrowned barrel myself, added an ATI syn stock, turned down bolt and drilled receiver for scope rail.

Total cost was about $180.00 plus whatever you put on for a scope. I happened to have an old K2.5 Weaver that I put on it.

I think Mosin 91/30's are about the best deal going.

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 09:27:41 PM »
If I were to do this, it would be 40.00 for the short and recrown, provided it will fit in my very old lathe, the scope mount, is usually 20.00 set up fee, and 10 bucks a hole, cutting the stock, I think you can handle fine on your own. Matter of fact, you can saw your barrel, to your length, and the use a brass or steel lap ball, with valve grinding compound and recrown your now shortened barrel, just fine, with a cordless drill. Pm me for specifics.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:06:16 AM »

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 09:29:59 PM »
You can't beat them with a stick. They ae what the SKS used to be. You spend $70 for a rifle and it comes with $.30 a round ammo. Its the perfect truck/ugly salt swamp pig gun. My only concern is the price of mods. Ballistically speaking, I wouldn't want to cut below twenty inches. Here, you're still doing better than a 30/30. Good enough. I'd like it shorter, but I'll take 20". The gnsmith at J@G trie to talk me out of it price wise. Between shipping, tranfer fee and mods, I could just buy a used Remington. Still the history factor kicks in, even if I am screwing that up with mods. Its still a WWII rifle, I just fixed it. ;) I'm not sure I'm going ahead with this, but its fun to speculate. I just need firmer prices to decide whether to pull the trigger or let it go for now. Operator? Are you there?
FQ13

david86440

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 09:41:37 PM »
I have my C&R so I don't pay a transfer fee. I used a pipe cutter to shorten the barrel as it makes for a much cleaner cut.

The bolt and rail kit comes with drills and taps for doing it yourself.

I ordered 5 more 91/30's today as Century Arms has their "excellent" condition ones discounted for March if you buy 5 or more.

Also ordered another can of ammo to get free shipping (order over $500).

J&G has the best prices on 7.62X54R ammo.

CJS3

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 08:11:05 PM »
It's easy to get carried away with a project like this. I paid more for the adjustable trigger than I did for the rifle.

Even if you get one that has a rough finish, engine block paint, from an auto parts store ($5 to $7 a can), is a great way to refinish the metal of your rifle.
Children, pets, and slaves are taken care of. Free Men take care of themselves.

tombogan03884

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 02:38:26 AM »
Very nice looking rifle CJ.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk