Author Topic: List your top 5 rifles and why...  (Read 22645 times)

kilopaparomeo

• Top Forum Member
  • My own private purgatory...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: List your top 5 rifles and why...
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2009, 11:13:21 AM »
You have GOT to set up a roof top mount for the Browning on your truck /car!!!  

If and when I get a northwoods cabin, I've always had the dream of having one of these in the shed to run to town for supplies.

And of course, since the cabin would be by a pristine lake with few other people, logging roads for access and many hours from home, this is how we would get there.

NRA Endowment Life Member
SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
Ultima Ratio Civis - "The last method of a citizen"

Old Soldier

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2009, 04:50:30 PM »
M-1 Garand proved itself when I used one in combat. Gen. Patton was right.
M-2 Carbine (Paratrooper model)  Again used in combat and proved it was adequate to the job.
HK-91 if you need more fire power ASAP
Ruger 10/22 because everyone needs one
Mauser 98K  That 8MM is a tough round.

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2009, 05:13:13 PM »
Thanks Old Soldier, glad your here, the top 5 seem not enough.

1) BAR, because
2) Ma Duece, because
3) 1903 Springfield, because
4) Spencer, because
5) Martini Henry, because

still revising as it goes,.... ;)
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

Combat Diver

• De Oppresso Liber
  • Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2010, 11:15:26 AM »
1.  M4A1/M16A2- Served me from 1983-2008 and saved my life several times in combat. Any good built AR prefered in select fire. Jump out of airplanes with and swam oceans with.
2.  FN FAL- any variant preferable in select fire, one parachute jump with.
3.  Mauser 98- best bolt gun design
4.  MP44/STG44- first true assualt rifle and a classic
5.  Any John Browning lever action- 1886, 1892, 1894 and 1895

Runner ups
6.  M1 Garand- unforgetable service to our country and I carried one 4 yrs in high school (ROTC drill team)
7.  M14 NM carried one in Iraq in 04/05' and used the same one at the All Army Long Range Match in 06' out to 1000yds with irons. Here's me and my oldest son in Iraq 04

8.  M1903 Springfield- My frist centerfire rifle and used on frist deer, modified Mauser 98 action.

Just don't start a thread on submachine guns or machine guns and get me started.

Too late.........

CD

Iraq: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09,15 & 16' Afghanistan: 09,10,11,14 & 17'

lawrence09

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2010, 02:44:12 AM »

1. Winchester Model 94 - Over 6 million sold, great brush carbine

2. Remington Model 700 - Solid action, proven by hunters and in military applications

3. Springfield M1A/M14 - TOUGH, proven in how many wars? And still in use by the military - I rest my case

4. Ruger 10/22 - Simplistic - It Works!

5. Mauser Model 98 - Must be a reason why this action is in demand

Sponsor

« Reply #35 on: Today at 06:46:48 PM »

yankeefist

• Forum Member
    • yankeefist.net
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2010, 08:31:27 PM »

1. Kel Tec RFB 308 bullpup - it's new , it's 27in. long with an 18in. barrel , it's hideously ugly in the cutest possible way

2. Steyr Scout 308 - After all these years it's still the rifle I grab first for a hunt

3. Sako model 691 in 416rem - the most accurate rifle I have ever fired , it will stack them through one hole longer than I can stand to keep pulling the trigger

4. Puma 1892 in 454 Casull - because 454 is a much better lever rifle cartridge than it ever was a revolver cartridge

5. Wesley Richards 470NE double rifle - because I've wanted one since I read Death In The Long Grass for the first time when I was twelve and I will probably be wanting one till I finally keel over - they're not getting any cheaper

garand4life

• Top Forum Member
    • My Blog
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2010, 08:46:48 PM »
Haven't seen it listed but by far one of the smoothest and most underrated rifles of all time the Lee-Enfield no.1 mk. 3 and no 4. mk. 1.
Not quite as powerful as the 8mm but the ability to throw .303 downrange in large numbers quickly and accurately make it awesome. I loved mine and miss it to this day.
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
"If you know your enemy is bringing a gun to the fight, bring 2..."
http://www.youtube.com/natetinstman  -
Save $10 on your NRA membership by going to http://garand4life.wordpress.com

Jackel

• life member of the American Honketonk bar association
  • Top Forum Member
  • F150 n' a 30-06
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2010, 09:50:14 PM »
well.....

AR-15, IMO most versatile weapon ever made even better in .308

10/22 second most versatile

Remington 700 set the standard for bolt guns

winchester model 70 (30-06) timeless classic

AK variant   nuff said
you are a redneck when You think "loading the dishwasher" means getting your wife drunk.

You know your a redneck You ever got too drunk to fish.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2010, 10:21:29 PM »
Haven't seen it listed but by far one of the smoothest and most underrated rifles of all time the Lee-Enfield no.1 mk. 3 and no 4. mk. 1.
Not quite as powerful as the 8mm but the ability to throw .303 downrange in large numbers quickly and accurately make it awesome. I loved mine and miss it to this day.
You and me both. (philw is probably giggling). I gave mine (my grand dad's actually) away to my God daughter, or more precisley to her husband. He workd like a trooper helping to clear out the old man's house, and even though she "didn't want any of the guns" I knew she did want the bolt nylon 66 she and I both learned to shoot on (even though she professes to be anti hese days), and he couldn't take his eyes off the Enfeild and an Ishi. They went home with them. At least they're still in the family. However, she isn't getting great grandads Parker until she convinces me that she will take her boys out to kill something. ;D
As far a forgotten gun, let me submit the  Remington Rolling Block. A great rifle, (though short lived) it revolutionized single actions. I've only shot .22 versions, but would love a real one some day.
FQ13

tombogan03884

« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2010, 01:19:29 AM »
Remington "Rolling Blocks" were used by, Russia, China, the Boers and several other countries.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk