Author Topic: What do SHTF & TEOTWAWKI mean to you?  (Read 10974 times)

1776 Rebel

What do SHTF & TEOTWAWKI mean to you?
« on: December 31, 2008, 07:29:59 AM »
I read a number of gun forums/blogs etc. I am intrigued by the use of, and how popular the phrases SHTF and TEOTWAWKI is. What does this mean to you (lay out the scenario) and what are the odds that this scenario will happen within 10 years say.

TSB

Re: What do SHTF & TEOTWAWKI mean to you?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 07:53:02 AM »
SHTF = Poop hitting a rotating blade!

TEOTWAWKI = A bad song by R.E.M.!!!

;D ;D

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 07:57:27 AM »
For me SHTF = something like a riot, mass shooting (mall, etc), being in a bank hold up, that kind of stuff.  TEOTHAWKI = anything from Katrina like societal breakdown (temp) to actual end of the world stuff like nuke warfare.
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 585
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 08:46:29 AM »
I've got a little different outlook than Haz, I agree with all his SHTF but throw Katrina and other local/regional disasters into that category as well.  I guess the outlook difference for Katrina and such is both the size of the impact and the length of time impacted.  I know the impact was more or less permanent for a number of people, but 30 miles away from New Oreleans things were pretty much back to normal when electricity returned (except for the social plaque that spread from New Orleans and increased crime in the areas of relocation).

For TEOTWAWKI my thought is that it would be some kind of transitional breakdown or change that leads to permanent changes (social and physical) that is a nationwide or global in impact.  Like Haz's comment but also widespread civil unrest caused by, say,  a currency failure that leads to the end of the current status quo and lasts until a happy equilibrium is reached.  Not that the happy equilibrium is much better, but that some benevolent (more or less) structure or order is in place.  TEOTWAWKI is a transitional time from one from one period of normalcy to another period of normalcy that may last for a long time but leads to some type of equilibrium....just my 2 cents.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

CurrieS103

• NRA Life Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 09:33:13 AM »
SHTF = Poop hitting a rotating blade!

TEOTWAWKI = A bad song by R.E.M.!!!

;D ;D

We just might be in the grips of both.  FUBAR = Washington, D.C.
Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference. - George Washington

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 02:24:21 PM »

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2008, 09:53:55 AM »
We just might be in the grips of both.  FUBAR = Washington, D.C.

My awareness level is up.  Economic issues here and abroad, middle east actions, a presidential staff the crows about the rule of law but will likely dicate with indifference to the law since they basically appear to be liars and/or thugs.....yup...looking bad.

tombogan03884

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 11:42:21 AM »
I agree with the SHTF definitions, but I have to comment that TEOTWAWKI does not have to be catastrophic in nature.
For those of us over 40 the computer revolution led to the end of the world as we knew it, it has changed how we get our news, communicate, entertain ourselves, and even work. The industrial revolution had similar effects on society at large. 

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2008, 02:19:36 PM »
I agree with the SHTF definitions, but I have to comment that TEOTWAWKI does not have to be catastrophic in nature.
For those of us over 40 the computer revolution led to the end of the world as we knew it, it has changed how we get our news, communicate, entertain ourselves, and even work. The industrial revolution had similar effects on society at large. 

Got a point there Tom.  Generally I focus on negative collapse and it can be argued computers have caused that...or are in the process of causing that by allowing good intentions to enslave us bit by bit.

tombogan03884

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2008, 04:06:47 PM »
Got a point there Tom.  Generally I focus on negative collapse and it can be argued computers have caused that...or are in the process of causing that by allowing good intentions to enslave us bit by bit.

THE CELL PHONE ! !

TSB

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 04:15:09 PM »

THE CELL PHONE ! !

Actually, I ignore my cell phone just as much as my home phone....If I want to talk to someone, I'll call THEM..otherwise, leave me alone....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk