Author Topic: Are We Coming Into A "Gun Glut"?  (Read 5772 times)

brushmore

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Are We Coming Into A "Gun Glut"?
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 06:20:02 AM »
I don't know about any of you but I for one won't complain about an ammo glut.  The cheaper it is the more I'll buy and use.  ;D

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 583
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 06:41:44 AM »
Part of the problem is that guns generally are one of the best crafted items in the US. They last forever so you only need one of each.
Let's hope they don't get the idea to go the way of Detroit and start making them so they wear out in 5 years.

Yeah, what Jay said.  Durability, which is required for liability at the least, insures fewer lifetime purchases. 
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

tombogan03884

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2014, 07:54:21 AM »
Colt's story is nothing new. They've been on the verge of bankruptcy for literally decades. If it weren't for their government contracts, Colt would have gone belly up years ago. They can't make money on a bet. And they are not alone. Many firearms companies cannot turn a steady profit. Look at High Standard, Ithaca Gun, and more recently Remington Arms.

All made and sold great guns. They just can't seem to turn a steady buck doing it. Even Smith & Wesson was on the verge of financial collapse when it was owned by Tompkins PLC, and headed up by Ed Shultz. It took Safe-T-Hammer's near bargain purchase of it to turn it around into profitability once again.

It's not easy to make money in the gun business. Success stories like Ruger and Bushmaster are few and far between.

Don't base anything financial on Colt, their management has been a clusterf*ck since Sam was selling his first models in 1836.

ExurbanKevin

• Working on Gun Culture 2.1RC3
  • Very Active Forum Member
  • There are CZ's, and there's everything else
    • Ammoman.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2014, 11:17:47 AM »
One thing to keep in mind is that the list of publicly-held gun companies is quite short (Ruger, S&W and a few more that have slipped my mind), so the usual insanity that drives quarterly earnings statements aren't there for most gun companies.

As for our shop, in talking with people, yeah, things are quieter now than there were for most of 2012 and 2013 before I got here. Will there be an adjustment and a slow period? Sure, we're in it now. But a lot of guns were sold before the greatest gun salesman in American history (Barack Obama) came into office, and a lot will be sold after he leaves.

We've turned a corner in "Gun Culture", and I think the same ideals of self-reliance, freedom and independence that so typify gun culture are spreading through the american parts of America. New York, California, New Jersey are trying to succeed by following the same big-government playbook that got them into this mess (what was the definition of insanity again?...) but the people themselves are seeing just how much control they have and can have over their lives. We're not just armed America anymore, we're empowered America.
I can't understand people who think banning guns makes them safer. They must also believe that banning books makes them smarter.

tombogan03884

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2014, 01:35:57 PM »
As events such as the riots in Mo continue to occur guns will enjoy periodic bursts over average sales numbers.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 03:47:47 AM »

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2014, 05:13:32 PM »
I just got an E-Mail from J&G Sales. They've got S&B 9 MM for just $209.90 for a 1,000 round case. That's only $10.50 @ box of 50. I don't know what they get for shipping. Ammo is definitely coming down fast. And they said this is a, "inventory reduction sale". They're overstocked with the stuff.

http://www.jgsales.com/9mm-s-b-115gr-fmj-ammo,-1000rd-case.-p-487.html

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2014, 02:02:01 PM »
I'm glad to see some return to what many refer to as near normal stock and pricing. I hope it continues to move in a good direction.

**Watch out for another "Sandy Hook Crisis" to fan the flames of public panic buying.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1111
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2014, 03:30:21 PM »
I've been waiting for Midway to get some Ruger Mark II mags in. Ruger says they have some in stock but Midway is about $9 cheaper. I think Brownells were a dollar more than Midway but they were out of stock too and now it looks like they quit listing them altogether. Sooner or later Ruger has to catch up and have extra stock to distribute. I just hope it happens soon.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2014, 07:32:53 AM »
I'm not getting why Ruger .22 pistol mags are in short supply? It's not like they're Hi-Cap or anything. (10 round). And with the current price and lack of availability of .22 ammo, you would think most of them would be staying in the case anyway.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk