Author Topic: WA state: Writing suppressor initiative  (Read 4370 times)

Abouttime

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
WA state: Writing suppressor initiative
« on: January 14, 2010, 12:32:45 AM »
Does anyone know of a sympathetic lawyer who can write an airtight initiative that will allow us to use the suppressors that we can legally purchase? We can't wait for the legislature to pass a bill. Any takers? I am willing to help but I don't know the process. I don't know if this has been tried before, but I don't remember seeing any petitions to sign.
*  "I cannot find any authority in the Constitution for public charity. [To approve the measure] would be contrary to the letter and spirit of the Constitution and subversive to the whole theory upon which the Union of these States is founded."
      -- President Franklin Pierce's 1854 veto of a measure to help the mentally ill.

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 83
Re: WA state: Writing suppressor initiative
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 06:22:07 AM »
I'm not a lawyer, have never played one (preferring to play Doctor), and didn't even stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night, so I went to the source - North Dakota state law. The applicable section is Section 62.1 of the ND Century Code. Here's what it says for all sorts of things states might wanna ban:

62.1-05-01. Possession and sale of machine guns, automatic rifles, silencers, and bombs - Penalty - Forfeiture. No person may purchase, sell, have, or possess a machine gun, fully automatic rifle, silencer, or bomb loaded with explosives or poisonous or dangerous gases, or any other federally licensed firearm or dangerous weapon unless that person has complied with the National Firearms Act [26 U.S.C. 5801-5872].

Short, simple, and the state does not add anything to Federal rules. While you're at it, try throwing this in as well.

62.1-01-03. Limitation on authority of political subdivision regarding firearms. No political subdivision, including home rule cities or counties, may enact any ordinance relating to the purchase, sale, ownership, transfer of ownership, registration, or licensure of firearms and ammunition which is more restrictive than state law. All such existing ordinances are void.

Good luck.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

Abouttime

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: WA state: Writing suppressor initiative
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 02:50:39 AM »
I just noticed that HB1604 has recently been recently re-introduced and retained for 2010 session. I would encourage all WA residents to support this bill. You can read the details here...

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/BillInfo/summary.aspx?bill=1604&year=2009

The bill provides that legally owned suppressors may be used.
*  "I cannot find any authority in the Constitution for public charity. [To approve the measure] would be contrary to the letter and spirit of the Constitution and subversive to the whole theory upon which the Union of these States is founded."
      -- President Franklin Pierce's 1854 veto of a measure to help the mentally ill.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk