Author Topic: Suppressor/Silencer help  (Read 10815 times)

blackwolfe

• A Simple Man
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Suppressor/Silencer help
« on: September 10, 2011, 09:59:01 PM »
Michigan's attorney general recently made a ruling that essentially leagalized suppressors in Michigan.  Probably just wishful thinking on my part, but I'm entertaining the idea of getting one if I ever win the lotto or something and end up with surplus funds.

Does anyone here use one?  I was wondering if I got one for .223 how it would work for .22.  Any recommendations on brands or types?  I know almost nothing about them.
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. "    Abraham Lincoln

Wolfe

bjtraz

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: Suppressor/Silencer help
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 10:10:34 PM »
Others will speak up soon, but while I don't have any as of yet, I've been researching them. I believe you can use a 223 for a 22, but the suppression is not as good. They also have people using 9mm & 4 S&W use a 45 suppressor, but with the same results. Check out the below links for more info. One of the biggest online sellers is http://www.major-malfunction.com/

http://silencerresearch.com/
http://silencerforum.com/
http://silencertalk.com/

Good Luck and enjoy  ;D

Brian
NRA & NAHC Life Member, American Legion

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 579
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 10:33:13 PM »
Yup.  One for a 223 will work for a 22.  I will swap to my Ciener 22LR conversion in my AR and use an M4-2000.  There are others that are lighter and don't have the quick connect which would be cool but the .223 cans bring what I think is too much weight to a rimfire.  The weight may not bother you though.

I'd go to www.advanced-armament.com or www.gem-tech.com to start looking.  Tactical Solutions makes them...heck a lot of people make them.  I never tried to find one for dual duty .223 to 22LR.  I like the purpose build rimfire supressors because they are light...like AAC Pilot for the .22LR....but prefer a model that can be broken down and cleaned.

Bryon who owns Major Malfunction is a great guy and has a nice website..I got a 45 EVO can from him.  

Tactical Solution is supposed to be coming out with one of their lightweight 22LR barrels integrally suppresed and that can be cleaned...that I would really like to have.  The AAC Cloak is integrally suppressed but is heavy.

Also take a look at http://sandhsuppressors.com/ for some really good integral supressors...check out the Ruger M77 in 44 mag that I will attest is 1/2 as loud as a pellet gun when using subsonic ammo.

And yes, as above, I have used my 45 can for my 9MM's.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

ske1eter

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 09:05:25 PM »
Michigan's attorney general recently made a ruling that essentially leagalized suppressors in Michigan.  Probably just wishful thinking on my part, but I'm entertaining the idea of getting one if I ever win the lotto or something and end up with surplus funds.

Does anyone here use one?  I was wondering if I got one for .223 how it would work for .22.  Any recommendations on brands or types?  I know almost nothing about them.

Doesn't take the lotto to get a 'can' especially if you start with a .22 LR capable first. I have a Tactical Innovations TAC-65 http://bit.ly/nSDfvH for my .22LR. It's way fun. I can't compare it with other cans as this is the only .22LR one that I've owned but mine basically lets you hear the action cycle and bullet strike and no more. Phhhht, bang.

The .223 suppressor would work for .22LR but there will be no way to remove the lead that builds up in the suppressor after shooting many .22LR rounds thus eventually decreasing the efficiently of the .223 suppressor. I would by a .22LR specific suppressor as they're able to be disassembled for cleaning plus they're only about $250 vs. $600+ for center fire round capable suppressors.

tombogan03884

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 11:05:56 PM »
What's the ATF tax ?
Isn't that like another $200 ?

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 03:19:38 PM »

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 879
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 11:25:32 PM »
I think it is $300, but I haven't talked to my gunsmith that makes them for quite a while, and my memory is like a rusty sieve  :-\

I believe Mr. Rastus will have the answer when he pops back in.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 12:20:15 AM »
Everything that I have read it is still $200.

Costly toys but not as bad as thermal night vision stuff...anybody wanna buy a well used kidney?
You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

blackwolfe

• A Simple Man
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 01:00:22 AM »
It's $200 if you get it through a dealer in your state.  If you buy from an individual in another state I believe it is $200 x 2.  Once to transfer to a dealer in that state to send to a dealer in your and another $200 for the dealer in your state to transfer it to you.  At least I think that is how it works.

By the way, Thanks for all the help.  Have been checking some of the links in the previous post.
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. "    Abraham Lincoln

Wolfe

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 579
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 06:02:13 AM »
$200 is what I paid.  As I understand that was fixed under the 1934 NFA.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

JC5123

• Top Forum Member
  • Fortune sides with him who dares.
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2011, 11:21:51 AM »
What Rastus said.

I have 2 cans. I love them both, though I don't use them as often as I thought I would. Mostly because they are a pain to clean. Definitely a fun toy. Both of mine are Gemtech. I have never had a problem with either of them.
I am a member of my nation's chosen soldiery.
God grant that I may not be found wanting,
that I will not fail this sacred trust.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk