Author Topic: SBR Build has begun  (Read 14659 times)

Paraguy

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
SBR Build has begun
« on: July 28, 2013, 10:28:01 AM »
I did a lot of research and finally bought a stripped lower to begin the SBR build.  Based on my research, you need to fill out the From 1 and it MUST be two sided and have two copies sent in.  I did mine through a trust so it was easier to complete. Based on what I have read, you can only apply for one configuration i.e .223 in 10.5" barrel.  It used to be acceptable, based on what I read, to insert multiple calibers and multiple barrel lengths.  Once I get my paperwork back I am good to go for the one configuration.  It says that you shall notify them if you change the configuration, I am guessing that a certified letter telling them I went to an 11.5" 9mm upper will make that legal as well.

To be on the safe side I will probably trade uppers so I do not possess multiple SB uppers.  Probably overkill to do it that way, but not worth finding out the hard way I was wrong.  I will be getting the lower engraved to check that box as well.  I will post pictures in 9 or 10 months when the stamp comes in and it is done;-)
Guns don't kill people, bullets kill people.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 455
Re: SBR Build has begun
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 12:47:06 PM »
Very cool.  Looking forward to the pictures.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Paraguy

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 07:35:25 PM »
BATF has cashed my check, trigger installed on the lower and it is off to be engraved.  A couple of steps in the right direction.

Paraguy

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 12:19:04 PM »
Here is where I am to date.  As can be seen, I still need the bolt release and a pin for the trigger guard (it was not as complete as I thought it was.)  Next step after finishing those last pieces is to paint the Spikes logo red and the safe and fire indicators on both sides.  I went with the ambi-selector from RRA with the star style.  I got the obligatory engraving done but will not be filling that in.
At that point I will be saving for the 10.5" upper in .223 after the tax stamp arrives.

Paraguy

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 01:21:58 PM »
Given the high probability of an Executive order regarding NFA Trusts, I thought it best to get a nifty end piece for the SBR when I get the stamp -  an AAC Mini-4 suppressor.  If BHO gets his way trusts will no longer be able to be used and you will need CLEO sign off for all purchases of NFA items making it dangerous politically for CLEOs to sign off.
In about another 5 months the SBR stamp will arrive and then 3 months after that the stamp for the Suppressor will arrive.  Next summer at the range should be a lot of fun!

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:54:01 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 01:45:02 PM »
The NFA Executive Order was signed a couple weeks ago , under cover of "I'm going to bomb Syria".
Now "Trusts" also have to get a CLEO sign off.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 06:38:23 PM »
His reasoning was people that could not own firearms were being made trustys, i don't know if that can happen( its not legal)  if there was some way that couls happen, there was a much easier fix.  Which he may or may not have had the power to do.  Even if he didn't congress could have passed something in 2 seconds flat to fix that.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

tombogan03884

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 04:08:00 PM »
TAB's OK with "just a little" infringement.

Paraguy

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2013, 09:39:50 PM »
Given the high probability of an Executive order regarding NFA Trusts, I thought it best to get a nifty end piece for the SBR when I get the stamp -  an AAC Mini-4 suppressor.  If BHO gets his way trusts will no longer be able to be used and you will need CLEO sign off for all purchases of NFA items making it dangerous politically for CLEOs to sign off.
In about another 5 months the SBR stamp will arrive and then 3 months after that the stamp for the Suppressor will arrive.  Next summer at the range should be a lot of fun!
Our friends at the BATF&E have cashed the check already!  Probably takes longer to process the check than to review my form done through a trust, and that will take'em 9 months to process!

Paraguy

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2013, 08:49:22 PM »
The SBR build started with a stripped lower, which is now fully functional.  Took it to the range today and it functioned flawlessly.  RRA parts were used, aside from the trigger which was the factory Bushmaster form my 16" rifle.  Fine trigger FWIW, but the Timney replacement is far superior.  Anyway, I put the 16" upper on the SBR lower and it performed as expected.  I will be painting the Spider on the Spikes Tactical lower red, cause it looks cool and everyone seems to do that on the ST-15.
Now the hard part, waiting for the stamp; plenty of time to save for the 10.5" lower which will be purchased the day the paperwork arrives.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk