Author Topic: Buzzing My House For The Last 3 Days  (Read 12783 times)

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
Buzzing My House For The Last 3 Days
« on: January 29, 2015, 01:00:18 PM »
I'm just 2 miles from the University Of Phoenix Stadium, where the Super Bowl is being held. Both the Goodyear and Direct TV Blimps have been flying back and forth over my house all week. They most likely will continue until after the game on Sunday. I'm not going anywhere Sunday, as it will be a circus everywhere around here.

Cabela's is right across the street from the stadium, and they'll be towing cars left and right. Luke Air Force Base is about 5 miles to the west, and they've had F-16's in the air all week as well. Armed to the teeth. There is so much crap hanging off the wings, I don't see how they can fly!

I was reading on the Goodyear blimp. They're going to be building a new one at a cost of $21,000,000.00, ($21 million). They only give rides by invitation only. Usually big wigs, or else customers who work for Goodyear dealerships and the like. You have to request a ride well in advance, and I don't know how long of one you get. They're keeping it at the Glendale Airport, about 4 miles from here. That place will be overrun with private jets on Saturday and Sunday. All coming in for the game. I'll be glad when it's all over. I just hope nothing bad happens. It's a "target rich" environment.

tombogan03884

Re: Buzzing My House For The Last 3 Days
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 01:13:58 PM »
If you are into plane spotting it sounds like a great place to be. Any war birds fly out of there ?

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 01:49:15 PM »
I've had 2, P-51 Mustangs fly over before and during the Glendale Air Show. You can hear them before you see them. V-12 Merlin's make a very distinctive sound. Last year there was an ungodly roar coming from Luke around twilight. About a minute later a B1-B Lancer flew over with all 4 burners lit. It rattled my Arcadia glass door, and drove the dog crazy.

I read the B1-B Lancer is the biggest gas hog in the inventory. At takeoff with all 4 burners lit, it consumes over 200,000 pounds of fuel per hour. It doesn't stay in afterburner very long as it's fuel capacity is just 265,000 pounds.

tombogan03884

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 02:22:00 PM »
Never seen a B-1, but they had a B-2 do a fly over at one of the Air shows at the former SAC base near Portsmouth. Back when it was open f/b 111 were a daily event, KC 135 tankers still are since it still has ANG. B-52's and F-16's were not uncommon.
 Used to see P-51's now and then when I lived near Hayward airport in Ca. Saw a LOT of cool stuff out there, Migs, F86, Gee Bee race plane, U-2.
Every few years some one brings around a B-17, B-24, and a B25, there is a guy in Rochester who has a Corsair, and down in Hampton there are 2 reproduction Fokker Triplanes.

Shoot the guns of history

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 04:04:54 PM »
BillT,
I am 5 miles S of Cabellas, did you see the pair of V-22s that flew over last week ?
As far as Warbirds in the area, there are a number of them. I flew the C-119 that was at Glendale for a while, as well as the C-47, C-1. There is a B-17 and B-25 based in Mesa, a couple of 51s at different places around the valley, a number of T-6s around.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 03:10:49 AM »

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 04:10:48 PM »
BillT,
I am 5 miles S of Cabellas, did you see the pair of V-22s that flew over last week ?
As far as Warbirds in the area, there are a number of them. I flew the C-119 that was at Glendale for a while, as well as the C-47, C-1. There is a B-17 and B-25 based in Mesa, a couple of 51s at different places around the valley, a number of T-6s around.

Yes, I saw one of the Osprey's pass just north of my place. God those props are big! It looked like it was headed for Luke because it was turning west, so I didn't get to see it transition to the vertical. It's a lot bigger of an aircraft than I thought.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 06:46:17 PM »
A third blimp showed up this afternoon, MetLife. It just went over in the rain. They better watch it, they're liable to have a mid air collision with these three elephants.

graywolf

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2015, 08:26:24 PM »
All that security is in place to keep an eye on the Patriot's ball boy.
Hannibal ad portas  Hannibal is at the gates

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2015, 10:35:07 PM »
Believe it or not, our county's little fart of an airport is a regular stopover for several blimps.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2015, 11:40:07 PM »
A third blimp showed up this afternoon, MetLife.

That one is covering the Phx Open golf tourney.
I missed the V-22s. That would have been nice! 
I saw a couple of the blimps in the distance from the 101 when I was on my way to Shooters World Peoria this afternoon but I never got south far enough to really get a good look. Seen one blimp,  seen them all...
You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk