Author Topic: New TV show "Modern Shooter" on Sportsmans channel  (Read 7162 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 455
Re: New TV show "Modern Shooter" on Sportsmans channel
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2015, 09:48:50 AM »
Here's what I thought was wrong with the show.

-I didn't learn a whole lot other than Colt is an old company, ARs must be their only product, and everyone has a lot of esprit-de-corps.   At least the three people on camera said they did.

-I did not like the way the historican, Haynes, kept emphasizing that Colt invented the revolver.  He may have been the first to put a revolving pistol into common production, but "revolvers" go much further back in history.   

-And too much time was spent about the pistol history.  The show was exclusively about AR production.

-Camera work was poor and many times out of focus.   If you're going to show close ups of something, either the subject or the camera needs to be mounted on something, preferably both.

-Lighting was poorly done, if at all, other than a key light on the speaker.

-Only a couple of people were allowed to speak on camera.  Contorno, Haynes and Reese. (Maybe another one or two management types.  Obviously they didn't make an impression.)  I'd love to hear from some of the workers on the line.  Especially the proof tester.  I think he had something to say.

-The show glossed over too much.  It's like they spent all the time on barrel making and ran out of time to show anything else.  (Then the barrel goes to final assembly and voila, we have a finished AR.  Let's go to Maggie to sell us the different models.)

-The show allowed terms to be introduced without explaining them.  What is "gun drilling"  (or whatever the word was)?   

-I'd liked to have seen more assembly explanation.    I noticed a machine is used, probably for consistency, to screw the barrel onto the upper.   But I also notice a lady in the back ground using a 18" long, hand wrench.   They also drive the takedown pins in with a hammer.   Are they that tough or do the fingers just get tired after 100+ assemblies in a day?   I'd love to see their tricks and tools for putting in the forward takedown pin detent.   And do they use a machine for the gas tube drift pin in the gas block?  Heck we don't even know if they use piston or DI?   And absolutely nothing about the bolt or BCG.  In one of the few pictures of the BCG someone was spreading some gunk on it.  Special super secret lube?

-Maggie at the range was nice, though I'd like to see some groupings or "results" of her shooting, maybe even some competition footage to establish cred would have been nice.   I know she's a "name" in 3G, call me doubting Thomas.  Not all viewers follow three gun.

(Side note:  I disagree with her premise that since her arms are puny she need a light weight gun.  I think a medium weight gun would help her with recoil.  And a personal nit.  I see the pros do it so I'm in the minority, but I don't like using the magazine as a gun rest.   Whenever there's a malfunction one of the first things people will suspect is the magazine.   On the plus side, it isn't going to fall out if you're resting the gun on it.)

-But perhaps the biggest problem with this show is the disemboweled host.    One of the strong attractions to SG and SUSA are the hosts.  Michael and Jim provide a comforting character with which the audience channels through.  As Michael or Jim tour a facility they're really, the audience.  It becomes like you're actually there.   In this show, the camera was there and we were being lectured about the facility.  Hosts also provide continuity not only through a show, but from show to show.  They're the glue,  no, the gunk, no, the mucilage, ah wait, the BINDER that holds the segments, the pigments so to speak, of the show together.

And that's what I have to say about that. 
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2015, 11:20:05 AM »
And a personal nit.  I see the pros do it so I'm in the minority, but I don't like using the magazine as a gun rest.

I do it all the time (well only for the last 11 yrs) unless I'm using a rest, 10 or 20rd mags or shooting off my truck hood. Sometimes its unavoidable.
Any decent AR/mag/mag catch combo should have no problem with it.
You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2015, 09:10:00 PM »
Watch the newest episode with Ayoob.   Really, really, really enjoyed having him host the two segments.
I really, really, really, really, like the way he thinks.  Always have.   I skipped through the silencer segment.

Nits again:

- Most notable again is the lack of a host.  Makes me feel kinda disconnected.  As much as i enjoy Ayoob it would have been nice to have a host toss the questions and fill in some of the other facts.

- The GSSF segment was great, except they should have had some B-roll of actual matches in progress.  And instead of a master shooter like Mike demoing the stages, maybe an ordinary competitor would have connected better with the audience.   Missing also was a real GSSF staffer, like Alan Ramsey or Melanie Maness or one of the match coordinators to explain a little more about GSSF and the difference between Indoor League and outdoor Matches.

Will work for ammo

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2015, 10:16:11 AM »
I thought I recognized the voice-over/semi-host guy..... Rich Wyatt.......the guy that had the show on Discovery (I think) American Guns.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2015, 06:45:24 PM »
Nits again:
- Most notable again is the lack of a host.  Makes me feel kinda disconnected.
I thought I recognized the voice-over/semi-host guy..... Rich Wyatt.......the guy that had the show American Guns.

Well I've been watching the show for a little while now and I think what was bugging Alf: the "Host" or lack thereof, is the same thing that bugged a lot of folks about American Guns...RICH WYATT. Even when he's talking about something that I find interesting, he sucks. The guy has the appeal and dynamic personality of your average Pet Rock.

The show's disjointed editing, one minute on this, 43 seconds on that, cut to another 'almost a segment' about something else, then back to the first topic - all bookended by yet another slow-mo of something getting shot: pumpkin, champagne bottle, plastic jug of water... Just. Freaking. STOP! and give me a stream of information that lasts longer than a minute. Honest, I can handle it. I'm not a damn raccoon that needs a new 'shiny' dangled in front of it every 45 seconds.   

If you have really bad A.D.D., this is your show. You will never be bored because they just can't seem to have a segment about...anything!
It's cut to ribbons then dumped in a blender and poured out in a bad TV show.
My DVR has been a godsend of FastForward through the garbage parts but it has more space on it now!   
You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 02:31:55 AM »

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 879
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2015, 09:29:35 PM »
I finally found it and watched last week, and like kmitch said, the flow is horrible.  There is promise of something good in there, but it is so chopped up and disjointed even they can't find it.  Second is the audio.  I don't know if they run the sound levels up and down, or they really do have long silent periods - For me they aren't really silent, because it sounds like they have done a poor job of erasing the tape and it still squeaks and squeals like a whining kid.

I may try and sit through it one more time, if I accidentally come across it, but it is not on the intentional radar.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2015, 05:00:50 AM »
I stopped recording it. 
Will work for ammo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk