Author Topic: Where's all the Powder, that's what I want to know. Where's the powder.  (Read 9418 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 457
I've not "hoarded" by any means and have come through the shortages of primers and bullets just fine.  By the time I needed them they were available.   Powder however, is getting rather short at the command bunker and there's none out there to be had.

One dim spot (cause it certainly isn't "bright" yet) is that more places seem to be accepting backorders, which MIGHT indicate they're starting to see some powder show up.

Did find these two sites which might be of some help.

http://gunbot.net/reloading/powder/

http://www.shootandreload.com

Just for reference, I'm looking mainly for Alliant Power Pistol, but will take some Unique as well.   Hoping the new Cabela's has put some aside for the grand opening.  I plan to be in the first 100 or so people at the door.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: Where's all the Powder, that's what I want to know. Where's the powder.
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 08:25:40 PM »
Oops, one of the links was old.  I've corrected it in the original post.
Will work for ammo

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 09:00:13 PM »
Yeah, it's Christmas every day if you're reloading for 300 magnums.
Even moreso if you have a 50 BMG.

Pistols? Not so much.
You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 11:28:26 PM »
Any of you use Sporting Clays shotgun powder for 45ACP?

Several reloaders I know like it.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 05:10:02 AM »
Any of you use Sporting Clays shotgun powder for 45ACP?

I think you mean Universal Clays.  Yes that, Tightgroup and Longshot are also used in pistol cartridges.   But I don't see them available either.
Will work for ammo

Sponsor

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 02:57:00 PM »
I think you mean Universal Clays.  Yes that, Tightgroup and Longshot are also used in pistol cartridges.   But I don't see them available either.

Thanks Alf, I knew I could count on ya to keep me straight. Yes, Universal Clays is what I was trying to recall.

I have several pounds of Titegroup myself, but have never tried Universal.

There are a couple of little "hole-in-the-wall" gun shops around my region that usually have stuff when no one else does. One of them was where I found primers last year when no one else had them.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 04:47:39 PM »
Cleaned the press, have 500 primers in loading tubes, installed the .38Short Colt dies and shell plate.  Have the bins filled with bullets and brass.  Now if powder would just show up!   

I've signed up to shoot the Southern Regional ICORE next month.   I need practice.   I need to run through about 1,000 rounds in the next 4 week  AND take 250-400 rounds to the match.

Here's hoping that Cabela's has some at grand opening.

Will work for ammo

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 01:08:33 PM »
Here's hoping that Cabela's has some at grand opening.

Might want to pitch a tent.
I went to a Black Friday sale once at Cabela's and got there an hour before opening.
I thought I was early...I think I was about 275th in line!
You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 02:16:37 PM »
I plan to be there at 9am for an 11am opening.   It's a weekday, so I'm hoping that'll cut down on the crowd a little.

Will work for ammo

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2014, 02:21:31 PM »
I had put away 1# of the new 300MP powder designed for "mag pistol".

I loaded up as many .357 as that one pound allowed last week, and took them to the range today.  LOTS of muzzle flash from my 6" 686.  Good solid pounding.  Accuracy was good.  I held a 2" circle at 10yds... standing... double action.  (Slow but still double action.)

When powder supplies return to normal I'm going to go back to Power Pistol for medium level .357 and stick with H110 for .357 Max. 

At least I got to put 200 rounds down range today.   Can't use up my precious remaining competition .38spl, 38sc and 9mm rounds.

Will work for ammo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk